PDA

View Full Version : Chevy HD series,2011 MotorTrend Truck of Year

TriCityLawnCareLLC
11-22-2011, 12:46 PM
This is a great set of clips. I love chevy trucks. I've found them to be very productive. I use them, and i work them hard. Anyhow, here's the link:
http://www.chevrolet.com/hd-to-hd-truck-comparison/

:usflag:

CLS LLC
11-22-2011, 06:39 PM
I just watched all the tests and found them to be informative. What I found interesting though is that only the acceleration test included the Dodge Ram. All the following tests did not make any mention of the Dodge Ram's results. I'm not partial to any one brand, but that leads me to believe that the Dodge is either better or right on par with the Chevy in all of the other tests.

meets1
11-22-2011, 09:42 PM
I have seen the tests. My father in law has new dodge 3/4 tone fancy whatever they call it 4 door diesel engine. I have 2011 4 door GMC xlt d-max

We did our own test. He sells milk replacer for cattle. Tailgate down and backed up to each other, my tailgate is about 1.25 inches higher. His truck is noisyer than mine (d-max) When loaded with two pallets on milk on bumper his does sag more in the rear end than mine did. When hooked up up to gooseneck, really could tell a difference. Milage, he has 23K on his truck and I have 19K on mine, i beat him every time.

Drag racing, being he is older he doesn't care so we did it, maybe I am faster responce time but I smoked him till I hit 85 and then blacktop ended and that was that.

FoghornLeghorn
11-22-2011, 10:28 PM
notice they made no mention of them all having similar rear end ratios. This test proves nothing about any of the trucks...

GravelyGuy
11-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Wow the Ford really looks that much nicer when they're side by side. lol that's all I got out of that video.
Posted via Mobile Device

TriCityLawnCareLLC
11-22-2011, 10:37 PM
notice they made no mention of them all having similar rear end ratios. This test proves nothing about any of the trucks...

I'm no mechanic by any means nor do i pretend to know a lot about rear end ratios. I can do basic maintenance, and that's about it. But from a consumers standpoint, including the fact that (assuming) many consumers are like me, the videos are a sure selling point.

When it comes down to work, My main truck is an 05 GMC sierra 4x4, she works hard every day pulling trailers, dumping leaves, going through all the mud at the dump etc etc. When it comes down to it, i want the best most durable truck i can get. I have to disagree with you on this one, the videos say a bunch about the trucks...

TriCityLawnCareLLC
11-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Also, make sure to watch the series of different test. I think there are 7 or so different videos...

FoghornLeghorn
11-22-2011, 10:55 PM
A truck with a 3.42 rear end is going to pull so slow compared to the same truck with a 4:10 rear end. You put a 3.42 or a 3.55 rear end on that chevy and a 4.10 on both the dodge and ford and the chevrolet will lose everytime. You don't have to be a mechanic to understand that putting more torque on the road via the use of different gears means you can accelerate better. It's not rocket science, by any means.
Posted via Mobile Device

FoghornLeghorn
11-22-2011, 10:59 PM
AND, the dodge puts out 800ft/lbs of torque as of 2011. The 650 ft/lbs for the dodge is a 2010 model spec. I call BS on this whole test. Not because I like Dodge more, I honestly like the Chevy a lot, I just think this test is biased to make the chevy look superior...
Posted via Mobile Device

TriCityLawnCareLLC
11-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Of course, Chevy is selling their product it has to look good. BUT, I still don't understand your reasoning with the ratios, not saying you're wrong, i just don't see where you're coming from. To me i see three trucks all in the same class (1 ton) preforming the same test with multiple drivers, multiple times.

I also agree with what you're saying with the ratios, by putting a smaller one on the chevy and a larger one one the ford and dodge, the chevy will lose...These videos are proof that chevy has more torque. It proves it's best in it's class. Basically what you just said was like saying that you and i are in a weight lifting competition, in the same weight class but I can lift more than you, and i win. Your defense is saying that it's not fair because my muscles are bigger and if my muscles were the same size as yours you'd beat me, right? Same class, of truck but who has the bigger muscles...

I enjoy getting different thoughts on different topics, so by no means am i saying you're wrong, i'm just saying i'm right ;) lol j/k

poolboy
11-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Well, color me surprised. A Chevy outperforming the competition in Chevrolet commercial.

FoghornLeghorn
11-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Of course, Chevy is selling their product it has to look good. BUT, I still don't understand your reasoning with the ratios, not saying you're wrong, i just don't see where you're coming from. To me i see three trucks all in the same class (1 ton) preforming the same test with multiple drivers, multiple times.

I also agree with what you're saying with the ratios, by putting a smaller one on the chevy and a larger one one the ford and dodge, the chevy will lose...These videos are proof that chevy has more torque. It proves it's best in it's class. Basically what you just said was like saying that you and i are in a weight lifting competition, in the same weight class but I can lift more than you, and i win. Your defense is saying that it's not fair because my muscles are bigger and if my muscles were the same size as yours you'd beat me, right? Same class, of truck but who has the bigger muscles...

I enjoy getting different thoughts on different topics, so by no means am i saying you're wrong, i'm just saying i'm right ;) lol j/k

Incorrect. It's like everyone with the same muscles (800 ft/lbs of torque) in a weightlifting competition, but the judges make every contestant hold the bar in a different width, thereby making it harder for some and easier for others (Chevrolet).

I can't believe I even answered that question with such a simplistic analogy.

JDiepstra
11-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Wow this OP has a very limited understanding of a lot of things. And who buys an 8000 pound, $50000 diesel cause its the fastest in a bs video? My 04 dodge cummins is doing 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds so apparently it is superior to all.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
11-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Incorrect. It's like everyone with the same muscles (800 ft/lbs of torque) in a weightlifting competition, but the judges make every contestant hold the bar in a different width, thereby making it harder for some and easier for others (Chevrolet).

I can't believe I even answered that question with such a simplistic analogy.

Theres nothing wrong with simple analogies.

Wow this OP has a very limited understanding of a lot of things. And who buys an 8000 pound, $50000 diesel cause its the fastest in a bs video? My 04 dodge cummins is doing 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds so apparently it is superior to all.

I think you assume too much. Limited understanding of a lot of things is relative. Don't get too hyped up about a video, I'm sure you're dodge is great truck...I personally think it's a well put together video, with real life scenarios.

JDiepstra
11-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Theres nothing wrong with simple analogies.

I think you assume too much. Limited understanding of a lot of things is relative. Don't get too hyped up about a video, I'm sure you're dodge is great truck...I personally think it's a well put together video, with real life scenarios.

Im not hyped up at all. But the video sure is.

mowerbrad
11-27-2011, 07:08 PM
While I do like GM trucks better than the other brands (personal preference), all of these videos from the manufacturers are made to make their truck look better than the others. Chevy, Ford and Dodge would not put out videos, sponsored by them, to make their trucks look worse than the other brands.

meets1
11-27-2011, 07:34 PM
U take your stock dodge vs ford vs chevy. Hook everything up - see what happens. I will put our GMC 2011 diesel against anything out there right now. You load a trailer, you measure sag in the rear end, you pull goosenecck or bumper hitch trailer all wieghing the same - check your gas mph, anything you have. I think your hyped with the 08 dodge!

Me and my father in law did this. He has 2011 dodge diesel - sorry but his dodge didn't fair that well. Although we all had fun with though!

TriCityLawnCareLLC
11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
U take your stock dodge vs ford vs chevy. Hook everything up - see what happens. I will put our GMC 2011 diesel against anything out there right now. You load a trailer, you measure sag in the rear end, you pull goosenecck or bumper hitch trailer all wieghing the same - check your gas mph, anything you have. I think your hyped with the 08 dodge!

Me and my father in law did this. He has 2011 dodge diesel - sorry but his dodge didn't fair that well. Although we all had fun with though!

This is somewhat of the point that i'm trying to make. Of the tests Chevy did in the videos, these tests showed that the Chevy HD out preformed, the sag test is important to me, pulling that amount of weight especially up an inlcine is important to me, and the flex test was pretty interesting too.

You're saying the videos are bogus but they(the different trucks) were put through the same test multiple times and Chevy highlighted it's strengths, which was the point of the videos. Of course Chevy is going to make a video to sell their product, but the tests aren't bogus, Chevy is showcasing the strengths of their trucks compared to the competitors IMO. Anyhow, I think they're great!