PDA

View Full Version : Last Compost App. of the Season

Smallaxe
11-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Yesterday was the test plot application of Compost as winter is about to set in...
The winterizer was applied in mid-October and all surrounding areas were treated the same.

The grass was cut about 3" high for winter endurance, new seed was put down in bare spots and the compost was raked into the grass.

What I'm expecting/hoping to see in the Spring is: Earlier greenup, greener greenup, and drought tolerance in that the color doesn't fade as the rains stop and the heat comes on.

mdlwn1
11-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Interesting to see if fall app will do that...I know a spring app does.

Smallaxe
11-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Interesting to see if fall app will do that...I know a spring app does.

What do you apply and when do you time it in the Spring?

Smallaxe
11-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Well, no response there...

The winterizer that I put down in October was 50% slow release and much of it still visible this late in the season, because it was so dry for so long this fall.

The ground should be freezing solid over this coming week w/out any snow cover.

I wonder if the compost layer will be useful in protecting the roots? as well as other benefits? :)

Snapper12
11-27-2011, 02:18 PM
I have found with compost that because of it's dark color it will actually keep the composted soil 5-10 degrees warmer then uncomposted soil.

Smallaxe
11-29-2011, 10:57 AM
I have found with compost that because of it's dark color it will actually keep the composted soil 5-10 degrees warmer then uncomposted soil.

Soil structure that breathes well, would also warm more quickly, I think.

In the examples of soil texture of clay compared to sand, one could expect sand would transfer heat better.

My test area in pretty shady and our Spring is generally as cloudy as our Autumn, but yes I agree the dark spots w/out much turf cover should warm when the`sun hits it... :)

mdlwn1
11-29-2011, 04:09 PM
What do you apply and when do you time it in the Spring?

i did it for the first time last spring as a test on underperforming areas. No fall feeding was done. 1/2" or so while turf still dormant. Tested areas started to green up within a week (if I remember) with no fert added. Our spring was very cool initially delaying greenup by 2-3 weeks overall. Composted areas were easily 2 weeks ahead of fert areas.

Smallaxe
11-30-2011, 01:59 PM
i did it for the first time last spring as a test on underperforming areas. No fall feeding was done. 1/2" or so while turf still dormant. Tested areas started to green up within a week (if I remember) with no fert added. Our spring was very cool initially delaying greenup by 2-3 weeks overall. Composted areas were easily 2 weeks ahead of fert areas.

So you added compost while the ground was still dormant... that is a good idea... I have adjacent areas to my test ground that was treated the same and is approximately the same soils and environment, that I'll add compost to in the Spring when the snow is gone...

Will it be different?, is what i'll be interested to see... :)