PDA

View Full Version : Is Ford failing?

supercuts
11-24-2011, 10:29 PM
ive been a die hard Ford guy up until I bought my 08 superduty new and currently all 4 of my trucks are ford superduty diesels. Lately I've been talking to guys who have said after 20 years of fords they will not buy another. whats going on with them? Ive heard soooooo many stories about ford not covering warranty issues and blaming it on things like fuel or water and not covering things on brand new trucks including mine. Stories that Ford is flat out denying warranty claims they should cover. whats going on with them?? Ive also heard tthey are not paying out claims ordered by the state, so much so that the AG is getting involved.

Im done with fords. if i wouldnt loose so much money id dump mine in a heartbeat. anyone else heard about these issues?

djagusch
11-24-2011, 11:14 PM
My 2 cents. My father is a retired service manager of a Dodge store but still does paperwork mostly before the shop opens which is mostly seperating out RO's for payroll and warranty claims. Since he has retired the dealership bought out the Ford dealer and now is combined. We talk about the shop and how things are going. By conversation it seems like they more warranty work on the Ford diesel's then the Dodge side. Never speaks about warranty declines, actually talks about how high the claims are.

It maybe a local dealer thing. If a dealer has a higher than average claim rate they are harder to get through. Just like they "sell" you the preventative maintanence they need to sell Ford warranty the same way. The service writer might not word it right or not even try if he has been declined for similiar claims (which isn't right). Also a tech might sway the service writer the wrong way as they typically get paid better by customer pay. Might just be a bad tech.

Ford in general is better off than Dodge or Chev. Ford has had their diesel issues and spark plug issues but their truck line is pretty well besides those items. Water in fuel can be a issue but very subjective also. Did they test the fuel? Was the water seperator not drained/filter replaced? They need to prove that was the issue not just say it.

Just sounds like more of a dealer issue. Talk to the service manager about things and see if he makes it right (he can refund you prior repairs if he thinks it was b/s). If you still have warranty issues get the regional rep involved.

Disclaimer: I use to own 2 99 Superduties (1 diesel and 1 v10) both with over 200,000 miles. Now I run a 05 Chev and 09 Chev (6.0 gas). Each brand has it's pro's and con's.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
11-24-2011, 11:16 PM
I can't say much in the way of not honoring their word for warranty work and such, but from talking to local Ford (heavy duty) owners and here on Lawnsite, In my opinion Ford seems to be dropping the ball on their quality. Anyhow, i know this isn't 100% on topic but it's indirectly related i think. Anyhow, just my thoughts.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
11-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Owner at a local auto care here says he used to work for Ford in the service department. He say's he refuses to drive them due to these types of issues.

Just as a side note, Chevy won 2011 motor trend truck of the year.

LindblomRJ
11-25-2011, 04:16 AM
There was a spell of Ford's having issues with diesels for a while. The 2011 seems to be good. Both the gas and diesel.

People who drive a certain brand be it Ford, GM, Dodge will have one foul up or whatever and declare they won't buy another one. That has been going on for years. So for someone to say that I usually don't put a lot a stock in their statements. If it is a widespread problem yes, I take notice. Brand name is moot.

same thing with Motor trend. Are they looking for a pickup to be used as a pickup or as something for doing real work?

GravelyGuy
11-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Neither my 2009 or 2011 have had a single warranty claim. Ford still outsells Chevy/GM combined. I agree that I have heard many say that Ford has given them a hard time on warranty repairs. This could be due to a larger percentage of them being used for very heavy work that quickly trashes them.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/11/october-2011-top-10-pickup-truck-sales.html#more
Posted via Mobile Device

GravelyGuy
11-25-2011, 11:48 AM
I forgot, I did have a warranty claim for my door lock because a piece of plastic was stuck in the door panel from manufacturing. 5 minute repair.
Posted via Mobile Device

Krafty
11-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Im not trying to be that guy, but man oh man give it a rest ont the Fords already. It seems like every month you have a new thread bashing the fords. Sorry you had such bad luck with them, but maybe its time to move on.

WJC
11-25-2011, 08:16 PM
I think they all have their pros and cons just like mowers and everything else we use. I've had good luck with both Fords and Chevys.

nepatsfan
11-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Im not trying to be that guy, but man oh man give it a rest ont the Fords already. It seems like every month you have a new thread bashing the fords. Sorry you had such bad luck with them, but maybe its time to move on.

X2...sell them and move on if you hate them so much

ropinghorns
11-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Ford does not sell more trucks that Chevy and GMC together. They may claim that, but once you comepare the F-seiries with the same size trucks in General Motors, you will see how they come up with that figure. Dodge 5.9 is getting really hard to find around here cause they[cummins] are such sweet motors. Now guess what I have .

Milwaukee
11-26-2011, 01:07 AM
If you think they junk. Most people I see with Ford diesel IDLE all times. That what cause trouble. They BABY it. You supposed drive hard and not lug diesel.

We had no issues with our 11 F250. My friend had couple fleet with over 300-700K miles E350s and F350s they are 2000 to 2008. They don't idle. They drive ALL TIMES so it last longer. AND they keep stock. They don't add programmer for more POWER or hot rod.

LindblomRJ
11-26-2011, 03:45 AM

This right here. :hammerhead: It is the honest truth. I have issues with chevrolet. I don't start threads ad nauseaum about what POSes they are.

Now I've had really good luck with Fords. And except the 6.0s diesels the family has had excellent luck with Fords for the last 30 years.

HenryB
11-26-2011, 09:03 AM
This right here. :hammerhead: It is the honest truth. I have issues with chevrolet. I don't start threads ad nauseaum about what POSes they are.

Now I've had really good luck with Fords. And except the 6.0s diesels the family has had excellent luck with Fords for the last 30 years.

He's talking about his experiences and looking for feedback. That's what this and all forumns are for.The fanatacism and blind brand loyalty for Ford Scag and Exmark is something I'll never comprehend. That said I own all three of them at the moment. While Exmark and Scag have been positive experiences. After owning 13 Fords in my life I should have learned but I'm an optimist and always want to believe they finally got it right. Truth is I really want them and the rest of the big three to be the best vehicles on the planet. I switched over to Isuzu NPR's years ago and my truck problems and drama stopped abruptly.

Marek
11-26-2011, 09:41 AM
He's talking about his experiences and looking for feedback. That's what this and all forumns are for.The fanatacism and blind brand loyalty for Ford Scag and Exmark is something I'll never comprehend. That said I own all three of them at the moment. While Exmark and Scag have been positive experiences. After owning 13 Fords in my life I should have learned but I'm an optimist and always want to believe they finally got it right. Truth is I really want them and the rest of the big three to be the best vehicles on the planet. I switched over to Isuzu NPR's years ago and my truck problems and drama stopped abruptly.

Do you plow with the Isuzu trucks ?

LindblomRJ
11-26-2011, 10:03 AM

You don't understand it, yet in the paragraph you talk the same way about Isuzu NPRs? Wait, what? I am not going to dispute the quality of NPRs.

HenryB
11-26-2011, 10:46 AM
I plowed for years with GMC and Fords. Then switched to Fuso 4x4's. I now sub out my snow removal. The Fuso is a really nice plow truck It would be my choice.

HenryB
11-26-2011, 10:49 AM
You don't understand it, yet in the paragraph you talk the same way about Isuzu NPRs? Wait, what? I am not going to dispute the quality of NPRs.

I'm confused. By stating NPR's have given me no trouble or drama I'm displaying fanatacism and blind brand loyalty? If there was a better truck I'd sell the Npr's tomorrow.

LindblomRJ
11-26-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm confused. By stating NPR's have given me no trouble or drama I'm displaying fanatacism and blind brand loyalty? If there was a better truck I'd sell the Npr's tomorrow.

There are people who would make the same compelling case for Dodge, Ford, or GM that you do or Isuzu. Or Exmark, Toro, Scag, Bobcat, John Deere, Cat etc.

Just sayin'

supercuts
11-26-2011, 05:45 PM
im not on here to bash. im on here to vent my frustrastions with a $45K truck with lots of problems. when its time to go out to buy a new truck, ill look up what problems others have with there brands to help me make a better choice. and this thread was posted as a question. I was throwing it out wondering if ford is in trouble. they wont warranty work and their quality seems to be dropping. and as far as dropping ford because of a bad expericence. its not one, its time after time after time with this truck, as well as my f550 which gets a new fuel tank every 2 years and whipes out fuel pumps, injectors, sending units, and so on each time. the dealer ( yes the dealer not ford) told me my 2nd to last tank was the new redesigned tank. well it lasted all of 2 years and 15K miles. my 08 is in regen nearly all the time. Dealer tell me its my fault because I dont let it complete the cycle. who are they to tell me how long i hvae to drive my truck for? mine takes over 30 minutes to complete. usually go on after 20-25 minutes which is when im arriving

if you go on plowsite you'll also see i "bash" meyer plows. brand new plows gave me problems. pumps would freeze, etc. i share that so others see the problems some have and how they stand or dont stand behind their problems. my boss plows have been trouble free and i love them

im not bashing, im venting. when you spend tens of thousands of dollars on equipment, you'd like to think they will stand behind them. i hope others continue to share the expericence, both positve and negative, so we all have better knowledge of what we may expect. its your choice, im just giving my oppions, which is what forums are all about.

GravelyGuy
11-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Biodiesel is probably destroying your tanks, stop using it. Delete the DPF on the 08. OR sell them.

thunderthud
11-26-2011, 10:21 PM
20 years ago we hired a new guy to work for us. Hard worker, leader of men type of guy. Also, a huge Chevy guy. When the time came to promote him to super and give him a company truck, he refused. We owned Fords, and he was a Chevy guy, he wasn't going to drive a Ford. Mind you, this was a free Ford with a gas card and he could take it to and from work plus make more per hour.

Rather than get promoted, make more money and have this inferior Ford, he chose to stay where he was.

I've been thinking about this story reading this thread.

/threadjack

WJC
11-26-2011, 10:26 PM
20 years ago we hired a new guy to work for us. Hard worker, leader of men type of guy. Also, a huge Chevy guy. When the time came to promote him to super and give him a company truck, he refused. We owned Fords, and he was a Chevy guy, he wasn't going to drive a Ford. Mind you, this was a free Ford with a gas card and he could take it to and from work plus make more per hour.

Rather than get promoted, make more money and have this inferior Ford, he chose to stay where he was.

/threadjack

Thats taking brand loyalty a little too far!

FoghornLeghorn
11-26-2011, 11:10 PM
20 years ago we hired a new guy to work for us. Hard worker, leader of men type of guy. Also a huge Chevy guy. When the time came to promote him to super and give him a company truck, he refused. We owned Fords, and he was a Chevy guy, he wasn't going to drive a Ford. Mind you, this was a free Ford with a gas card and he could take it to and from work plus make more per hour.

/threadjack

That doesn't sound like brand loyalty, that sounds like he had Down's Syndrome

WJC
11-26-2011, 11:19 PM

'leader of men' doesnt sound like down syndrome though.

thunderthud
11-27-2011, 12:06 AM

You'd think, but no. This guy was a seriously hard worker, loyal to the core and would have made a great foreman. He's the kind of employee we all dream about.

He stayed until he retired, so I guess it wasn't us. He did take a week off to go to Dale Earnhardt's funeral and bought all his cars from DEI Chevy.

supercuts
11-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Biodiesel is probably destroying your tanks, stop using it. Delete the DPF on the 08. OR sell them.

dont run bio, never have. I dont even know where to get it. stop making asumptions. I will dpf delete after warranty is up. im not giving ford one more excuse not to fix my truck. after paying $640/month for four years now plus a $5k deposit i have no equity, otherwise id trade it in. but like the guy who refused his free ford work truck, im not stupid. im not taking a bath because i dont like it. if someone gave me a brand new ford for free, id take it. "or just sell them"?.....i cut grass for a living, not made of money, not going to throw money away. ill spend the $1800 on the spartin soon enough

rstan2010
11-27-2011, 12:47 PM
DPF delete is the best thing you can do for these trucks. Really wakes up the truck and no more fuel dilution.

meets1
11-27-2011, 01:50 PM
I currently have all GM, d-max and 6.0 gasers. So far they have all been great. I have had the others but always plagued with problems. So in 07 we made the switch and now have 07,08,09,10,11 gm trucks. I hope these last!

My uncle is at ford dealership - head service man who takes everything in - they alwasy have the truck bays full - in fact new told they lend more trucks out for loners than they sell new. I have no idea about there cars but we talk trucks.

My neighbor owns a ford/dodge dealership. He is die hard dodge guy but says he sells more fords but he also does a hole lot more service work on fords - says there is always something with them. He calls them sloppy - the way the door bangs shut, the layout, the shifter, to even turning the key - says he you gotta rotate your whole hand to get truck started.

WJC
11-27-2011, 02:51 PM
I've had good luck with both ford and chevy trucks through the years. My current truck is a 99 F-150 4.6L with 187K. Other then oil changes, plugs and wires,battery,air filter the only things under the hood that have been replaced is serpentine belt and alternator. I even still have the original starter and water pump in it. No drivetrain issues either. Of course now that I posted this it will probably blow up tomorrow.

WINTER 3
11-28-2011, 07:32 PM
I have had Fords for almost 20 years and I would't dream of switching. Super cuts, did you have any problems with your fords? or are you going by what everybody else is saying? If one works for a ford dealer they will see alot of Fords with problems. I worked for a Ford/ Dodge dealer and saw way more Dodge problems then Ford

supercuts
11-28-2011, 07:46 PM
I have had Fords for almost 20 years and I would't dream of switching. Super cuts, did you have any problems with your fords? or are you going by what everybody else is saying? If one works for a ford dealer they will see alot of Fords with problems. I worked for a Ford/ Dodge dealer and saw way more Dodge problems then Ford

my 08 truck was in the dealer close to 40 times in the first 2 years. i had so many problems ford agreed to give me a brand new truck. the left in my truck, refusing to fix my two frozen calipers because my new truck was on the way. after two months my rotors were shot and I kept calling only to find out they had changed their mind and didnt feel the need to tell me. at my lemon law hearing ford flat out lied.

my f550 is on its 3rd fuel tank. around here most people i know with the metal tank behind the rear axle have put at least one new tank in. I know many of my problems stem with the dealer, but there are more than enough come straigth form ford themselves. the reason i started this thread wasnt because i feel the need to bash ford again on the same issues, its because i heard Ford was refusing court orders and that the attorney general had to get involved to help get payments

i would love to dump my truck but its foolish when its still under warranty and i have zero equity. i was offered $18k on trade

FoghornLeghorn
11-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

FoghornLeghorn
11-28-2011, 08:23 PM
What? I posted on this at 5:50? Must've been a pocket dial.

At any rate, good luck with your Ford. Just so you know, I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a "good dealer" until you get into the luxury car brands. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, they all suck. It almost seems like the purpose of a dealer is to sell cars, and then logjam you with paperwork/BS every time you need a warranty repair. It's like their only function is to minimize the loss to the automaker via screwing around the customer.

theyatesies
11-29-2011, 01:15 AM
Actually Ford does sell more trucks in the US market than chevy and gmc combined. In 2010 Ford sold 528,349(F series), Chevy sold 370,135(silverados), and GMC 129,794(Sierra). So Ford sold 28,420 more trucks than Chevy/GMC combined. Just giving the actual stats.

theyatesies
11-29-2011, 01:26 AM
Ford Ranger in 2010 55,364 and the Chevy Colorado 24,642. Now that covers all trucks sold. Just giving the facts.

BrandonV
11-30-2011, 07:09 PM
does anyone know if there is a dpf delete for ford's lcfs? we have an 08 and I would LOVE to try that.

supercuts
11-30-2011, 09:36 PM
i wasnt trying to ford bash in the past posts.....this one on the othere hand.. F Ford! my heap of crap has been blowing more smoke in the last few days than it did in the last few years. im so done, i think this will explain it, picking her up tomarrow. cost me $17K to drop my off and pick this up. I was offered $8k more on a trade than i was in the spring

PLS-Tx
12-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Nice truck, I bought one just like it last week, mine has a Hemi.

Marek
12-01-2011, 09:49 AM
THere you go new plow frame and beef up the front end . Stick or auto ?

supercuts
12-01-2011, 03:19 PM
auto....just pulled out the plow harness from the ford, the dodge is going in tommarrow for the plow install.

lawn king
12-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Do you plow with the Isuzu trucks ?

I have a 9' plow on my isuzu npr, good rubber, plenty of weight and the truck plows great. Most cabovers here (northeast) are set up with plows.

GravelyGuy
12-01-2011, 06:26 PM
That's a nice looking truck. Maybe you can rest easy now.

Marek
12-01-2011, 07:51 PM
This will help solve your fuel tank problem.....http://www.xtremediesel.com/titanreplacementfordcabandchassistank8020099.aspx I am trying to find out who at Ford to send one of the take off tanks that have delaminated to with a shove it up your azz note !

supercuts
12-01-2011, 08:13 PM
This will help solve your fuel tank problem.....http://www.xtremediesel.com/titanreplacementfordcabandchassistank8020099.aspx I am trying to find out who at Ford to send one of the take off tanks that have delaminated to with a shove it up your azz note !

i saved my last "new" tank that delaminated because i was going to look into having it lined......but im more into your method

the dodge already has 45 miles on it

NEPSJay
12-01-2011, 11:36 PM
dont run bio, never have. I dont even know where to get it. stop making asumptions.

U sure of that??? As an owner of a fuel delivery business that deals in 1000's of gallons of on and off road diesel, heating oil, dyed diesel, kerosene, gasoline, etc, etc on a daily basis, i can say that in certain states, on-road diesel is BLENDED. Granted, the percentage is minimal, 2% in PA with an option for 5%, its still considered bio-diesel. However, I dont know what the laws in CT are.

FoghornLeghorn
12-02-2011, 12:26 AM
I run a B2/B5 blend depending on how many gallons of petrodiesel I use after filling before I mix B100 in. Usually I'll fill 1 gallon of B100 into my 30 gallon tank. Haven't had a single problem in the Cummins 6.7, 46,000 miles
Posted via Mobile Device

supercuts
12-02-2011, 06:46 AM
U sure of that??? As an owner of a fuel delivery business that deals in 1000's of gallons of on and off road diesel, heating oil, dyed diesel, kerosene, gasoline, etc, etc on a daily basis, i can say that in certain states, on-road diesel is BLENDED. Granted, the percentage is minimal, 2% in PA with an option for 5%, its still considered bio-diesel. However, I dont know what the laws in CT are.

no im not sure of that. i hvae never bought advertised bio. it would not surprise me if a little gas and bio are mixed in to maximize profits. ford should have tested my fuel if they thought there was a problemwith it to show me they were not completely at fault. but one would think after 100 years in business they should have some forsight that fuel may have a slight blend and build suitable tanks. im waiting for the class action lawsuit

Marek
12-02-2011, 08:35 AM
In Maryland dealers are aloud to run up to a certain percentage blend bio with out advertising it on there pumps. All fuel stations around here are owned by thrifty foreginers who I wouldnt doubt for a second with go much higher on the blend in order to save a few cents.

supercuts
12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
In Maryland dealers are aloud to run up to a certain percentage blend bio with out advertising it on there pumps. All fuel stations around here are owned by thrifty foreginers who I wouldnt doubt for a second with go much higher on the blend in order to save a few cents.

with all the trouble i had with my truck not running right, i would think ford should have simply tested my fuel so if it wasnt their fault they could show me. or perhaps they did and there was nothing wrong with it.

Marek
12-02-2011, 04:42 PM
My first tank they tried to tell me I was runnung bio fuel . I asked if the tested the fuel and they said yes they put some in a styro foam cup and it ate thru the side . Not a real test if you ask me.

Deori
12-02-2011, 06:09 PM
I know that styrofoam will dissolve in regular gasoline so I'm sure it would in diesel as well, that doesn't seem like any kind of test at all lol.

My first tank they tried to tell me I was runnung bio fuel . I asked if the tested the fuel and they said yes they put some in a styro foam cup and it ate thru the side . Not a real test if you ask me.
Posted via Mobile Device

supercuts
12-02-2011, 07:19 PM

how many tanks have you put in? why havent we all dont a class action lawsuit?