PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer

ralph02813
11-25-2011, 06:46 AM
I am in the process of buyiing an enclosed trailer, I am thinking a 6 x12 single axle who makes the best, who else sells racking besides rackem. Thanks

metro36
11-25-2011, 07:54 AM
What are you planning on putting in it? What are you towing it with? It is always better to buy a bit bigger than you think you need so that you have room to grow into it. As long as your truck can handle it I would get at least a 7x14 dual axle. As far as brands go, it all depends on what available around you. Take a look at different brands. Look at the axles, frame, tires, lights, floor, and plywood on the walls. You should be able to tell which ones are made better.

As far as racks go. Trimmer Trap makes them, as does green touch, and jungle jims. I have the 3 place classic trimmer trap on my trailer now. They work ok. If I was going to buy new ones I would go with the extreme racks from trailerracks.com

http://www.trimmertrap.com/
http://www.trailerracks.com/
http://www.junglejimsap.com/

ralph02813
11-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks Metro - I will be using my 1999 Silveraho Sierra, inside will have my ferris 36 and 21 a couple of landscape barrels, grass catchers, weed whackers, chain saw, blowers and hedge trimmers, spreader, spayers and assorted hand tools, and oil and gas. Thanks for the leads, I will get working on them. Its seems like Haulmark is what is available around here, I was thinking a 6 x12 or 14. I guess it should have its own breaks, I run solo

cpllawncare
11-25-2011, 08:50 AM
I am looking into an enclosed trailer myself, I would defintly get one with it's own brakes, I have about the same amount of equiptment, I was thinking 6x 12, I already have the extreme racks they are the best. Just hard to drop the money right now in the off season. I need a full size truck also so there goes another 10K.

Jimslawncareservice
11-25-2011, 08:56 AM
I was going to with a 6x12 also. I went with a 8x20. I now could use a 24. Enclosed trailers are expensive to buy one too small.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ooomwizard
11-27-2011, 08:28 AM
7' wide is wide enough to fit a 54" and 22" mower side-by-side. Depth is.. the longer the better. Anything with two or more axles will have brakes and you will need to also buy a brake controller (very few box trailers have hydro brakes.) Enclosed trailers are a great choice for security and weather!

Better/stronger trailers will have thicker frames, long door hinges, thick ramp hinges, thicker plywood, interior light, and alloy wheels.

Customize it yourself with "J" hooks bought at HD, Lowe's, hardware stores on-the-cheap. Make sure it comes with a spare (and I carry a jack in the trailer for the mower and trailer) because you WILL get a flat.

And at some point - Trailer Graphics!

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
11-27-2011, 10:43 AM
I have a 7x16. I suggest 8x16. wide enough for a 48 and 36 side by side and short enough to park between most driveways. IMO, longer than 16 and your blocking too many things when parked.

metro36
11-27-2011, 02:35 PM
At least a 6x14 double axle w/ brakes on both axles. Bigger is always better with enclosed trailers. They fill up quick and are too expensive to buy too small.

KrayzKajun
11-27-2011, 02:54 PM
I started with a 6.5x14 and moved up to an 8.5x18 w/ V-nose. Sometimes I wish my 18fter was a 24fter
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
11-27-2011, 03:19 PM
I don't buy into the bigger is better idea simply get what you need. And as you add width it hard to back and to see around it. The 6x12 is right for most situations because you can get a 36", 48", and 21" in it and still
have room for blowers. Unfortunately this size does not support loading a big ztr into it...need bigger axle/springs that usually don't com e in them. We are in the process of putting a 3500# axle into a 10 year old closed trailer and a new support floor.

mowyo
11-27-2011, 09:25 PM
You didn't mention if your truck was a half- ton or not , if so , be careful of getting too weight behind it . Enclosed trailers are heavy (lots of plywood ) and electric brakes tend to not work so well without some tlc after a couple of years .

I really like the dry storage when it's raining and it's a little more difficult for the thieves to take ur stuff.

dutchacres
11-27-2011, 10:05 PM
If I was you I would look at a 16'. I had a 14 and it was just to small. My 16 is just right for what I do. I haul a ztr, wb, push mower and all the handheld stuff and it is a tight fit. I am sure you are planning to grow so I think a 16' would serve you well for many years. I also pull mine with a Nissan Titan and it handles it with zero problems. Just compare specs to make sure you get a good one. Another thing I would highly consider is LED lights. The last three trailers I have bought I had those put on and worth every penny!
Posted via Mobile Device

B&M
11-27-2011, 11:45 PM
8.5x18 w/ V-nose. Sometimes I wish my 18fter was a 24fter
Posted via Mobile Device

We have the same size trailer and we have wished the same thing.

ralph02813
11-28-2011, 03:19 AM
I cannot tell you how much I am appreciating all these comments, I am using the J Hooks from HD on the truck frame side walls that I built and they are my first thought to try in a trailer --

One last question, is it true that a tandem (double axle) is more difficult to move in and out of places - I was thinnking of getting a tandem just for the brakes and wondered if I would just be better paying the extra to have brakes put on a 6 x 14.

Jimslawncareservice
11-28-2011, 08:59 AM
I acctually think tandem axles move easier. But they will eat tires faster that a single axle.
Posted via Mobile Device

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
11-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I acctually think tandem axles move easier. But they will eat tires faster that a single axle.
Posted via Mobile Device....I agree.

Also, I pulled my 7x16 with my half ton for 6 years. Wouldn't win any races up a hill, but it stopped just fine regardless how much weight was in it. There was one time I had over 6000lbs( overloaded!, didn't realize the weight until loaded) in it and stopped just fine then too.

ralph02813
11-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks Keystone and Jims I really appreciate your comments now I think I am leaning towards the 7 x 14 tomorrow, I am going to mark up my 7 x 14 space in my driveway and see how everything fits Haulmark is what is available around here I think anyways.

JCPM
11-29-2011, 05:26 PM
I ran an 8x24 pace american for a few years and ended up getting rid of it. It was too heavy, even for my f350. I would have to turn my rotors twice a season. I ended up having to pull it with my duelly all the time. I spent way too much on fuel. The convenience of having everything on me was nice but profit is the bottom line.
Posted via Mobile Device

ralph02813
11-29-2011, 05:32 PM
I ran an 8x24 pace american for a few years and ended up getting rid of it. It was too heavy, even for my f350. I would have to turn my rotors twice a season. I ended up having to pull it with my duelly all the time. I spent way too much on fuel. The convenience of having everything on me was nice but profit is the bottom line.
Posted via Mobile Device

Funny you say that, I left to play in the woods today - redmax with blade on it, chain saw and my trusty ole 21 toro, everything else was out of the truck I felt light!

JCPM
11-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Funny you say that, I left to play in the woods today - redmax with blade on it, chain saw and my trusty ole 21 toro, everything else was out of the truck I felt light!

I have no idea what you just said.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
11-29-2011, 09:08 PM
I think he had an empty trailer and it felt light, as enclosed trailers can get heavy when you have all your equipment carried around with you
Posted via Mobile Device

JCPM
11-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Lol, I was guessing it had something to do with that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oakleaf landscape
11-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Hell with my silverado 1500 I tow 10k with it. 8.5x20ft enclosed.

ralph02813
11-30-2011, 05:56 AM
I think he had an empty trailer and it felt light, as enclosed trailers can get heavy when you have all your equipment carried around with you
Posted via Mobile Device

You got it! LOL It's funny, I always make sense to me!!!

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
11-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Hell with my silverado 1500 I tow 10k with it. 8.5x20ft enclosed.

Just a note about being legal. Don't overload or pull too much with what you have. Doing so can cost a lot if you are ever DOT checked. Excessive wear or vechicle failure is expensive also. Worse case, an accident where you get hurt or hurt someone else! Be smart....be safe. Thats just me.

Big Wes
12-01-2011, 06:23 PM
I have a Pace Summit 24' long, wish I had a 30'. Trailers tend to fill up faster than you think. I'm one of those people who believe you should get bigger than you think you need, yo won't be sorry. Also the longer the trailer the easier it is for backing up compared to a short trailer. Just my $.02 worth.