PDA

View Full Version : Dirt under crawl space

The Yard Barber, Inc.
11-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Ok guys, I need your help. I have about a 1200 square foot house that is on a crawl space and I need to get the dirt under the house up about 8 inches. when it rains, water gets under the house and it molds.

So... how would you guys go about getting the sand under the house?

I thought about filling buckets up with sand but im not so sure about dragging buckets around under the house.

any suggestions?

KrayzKajun
11-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Find someone with a pumptruck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turfinator1
11-26-2011, 12:16 AM
I have the same problem with water getting into the crawl space under the footings. You are right once the water is in the dirt under the house it smells. The thing that I realized is that you are gonna have to figure out how to get the water from going into the crawl space. My case I will be adding gutters to stop the water from running down the block foundation. It also doesn't help that the soil I'm in is clay. You may have to look into sloping the ground away from the house or installing a sock drain. But as for getting dirt under the house I had friends and family over to help fill and pass buckets. You also may try using wagons.

Andy31
11-26-2011, 12:23 AM
Your looking at 30 yards, I second KrayzKajun on the pumptruck. I suppose if that is not an option you could always use a bobcat and dump bucket loads surrounding your house and try and flick as much under with bobcat and have some unlucky SOBs under the house with landscape rakes. I how much space do you have after the 8" of fill? Also don't forget 30 yards would be 1,215 FULL 5 gal buckets...

LindblomRJ
11-26-2011, 03:51 AM
First have you addressed the drainage on outside of the house? Drain tile to carry water away from the house, grading away from the house?

I am doubting that bringing in sand will fix your drainage issues. would be better off with drain tile and sump pits to pump out the water. Instead of sand use liner covered with pea gravel. You first want to limit the water coming into the house and getting rid of the water. With sand the water would want to percolate, it woudn't solve any of the problems.

StihlMechanic
11-26-2011, 05:02 AM
sump pump?

LindblomRJ
11-26-2011, 05:46 AM
sump pump?

With a subequent sump pit and drainage system into the pit.

Darryl G
11-26-2011, 09:47 AM
I agree with those he say you need to address the drainage issue. I think you need to prevent water from getting under there rather than filling it. Usually crawl spaces need to remain accessible for access to mechanicals. It's a big enough pain to work in crawl spaces...I can't imagine wanting to fill it in to make it more confined.

32vld
11-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Water diversion to prevent water from getting under the house.

Then drainage system to remove water that gets under the house.

Putting in sand will do nothing.

Kiril
11-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Ditto on all comments with respect to fixing the drainage problem and/or whatever is causing water to collect under the house.

The Yard Barber, Inc.
11-27-2011, 12:04 AM
The house is a habitat for humanity house. When they built the house, they build it in a hole. The space under the house now is like 3 ft. There is plenty of room on the inside. I am going to fix all the issues with the drainage on the outside. If the dirt under the house is lower than the outside then i dont care how well you grade the yard, there will still be water getting into the bottom of the house.

I was hoping to find some sort of conveyer belt system or something but that looks like it might be a dream.
I think I can take out the vents around the outside of the brick foundation and just shovel it in around the house.

Darryl G
11-27-2011, 12:14 AM
How is the water gonna get in there if everything is pitched out? Think about how levees/dikes work? As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The other solution could be better ventilation.

JB1
11-27-2011, 12:18 AM
can't them blower trucks blow topsoil also.

LindblomRJ
11-27-2011, 03:21 AM
:hammerhead:The house is a habitat for humanity house. When they built the house, they build it in a hole. The space under the house now is like 3 ft. There is plenty of room on the inside. I am going to fix all the issues with the drainage on the outside. If the dirt under the house is lower than the outside then i dont care how well you grade the yard, there will still be water getting into the bottom of the house.

I was hoping to find some sort of conveyer belt system or something but that looks like it might be a dream.
I think I can take out the vents around the outside of the brick foundation and just shovel it in around the house.
Think about how a basement works. Pay attention to this post:
How is the water gonna get in there if everything is pitched out? Think about how levees/dikes work? As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The other solution could be better ventilation.

As we were saying, drain tile or socked tile into a sump pit and the water evacuated is the best solution not the addition of dirt. :hammerhead:

David Haggerty
11-27-2011, 07:28 AM
I have a house with exactly the same problem. For $120 worth of 4" corrugated drain pipe I fixed it.

If you put dirt in the crawl space you'll have mud. If water collects under your house it'll get in there wheather there is dirt or not and the moisture will rot your house just the same.

FIX THE PROBLEM WITH WATER DRAINAGE OR YOUR HOUSE WILL ROT AWAY!!!

Go to your county engineers office and ask their advice. If they can't help you at least they can point you in the right direction.

You have a real problem...You're going to make it worse. Find an expert.

Wayne 55
11-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Like all who already stated using drain tile I agree this is the best cure. Just one note dig the trench outside so it is slightly lower than the walls footer. This is done so there is no way you will have any water along the wall at any depth. Maybe I missed it but you did not say what the wall was made of such as Concrete or block. IF it is block drill weeps into block in the cell area draining any water trapped and allowing water to drain to drainage pipe. After installing drainage only back fill using #2 stone to the top grade. This allows water to freely flow down to drainage pipe. There is also a membrane that can be placed and attached to the wall which will allow free flowing drainage down to the pipes. Now if you do not totally feel secure doing all this then go inside and dig down and lay tile inside along footer then tunnel under footer at one point and tie the inside tile into the outside drainage. Again fill along wall inside with #2 stone. One major note you can not stop water only divert it. Regrading area outside of house will help then adding drainage will eliminate the rest of the problems. While this trench is open outside do yourself a huge favor and tie in all gutter downspouts to the perimeter drainage system. This will eliminate excess surface water lying at the house foundation. If your surrounding land does not allow for natural drainage of these pipes then add a sump crock inside in crawl area. Again you must tunnel under footer tie outside pipe into the crock and use a sump pump then to pump water up to a level where you can manage drainage use a check valve on the output flow line off sump pump. Adding any material to this crawl space is only masking not curing the problem.

tyler_mott85
11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
After fixing drainage problem and preventing excess water from entering space hook up a dehumidifier and run a drain hose out of the space to keep it nice and dry/mold free.

LoweJ82
11-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Water diversion to prevent water from getting under the house.

Then drainage system to remove water that gets under the house.

Putting in sand will do nothing.

if you can find where/if the water is coming through the wall at dig it up on the outside and repair it, then it will come in through the ground and this is where you need a drainage system that's drains into a sump pump basin to be pumped out.

just did one.