PDA

View Full Version : Would you start again?

1st class grass
11-26-2011, 10:04 PM
We are thinking on a move and im wondering if you would start a new mowing business in this day and age? Here in wyoming the economy didnt take the hit that alot of places did so business is still pretty good.I guess if you had to start all over would you? I have read some things that say tough times are when alot of sucesfull businesses are started. Any truth to this?

DiSantolandscaping
11-27-2011, 11:12 AM
my wife and i thought of moving to north charleston sc from maine but were gonna wait at least one more year because our truck will be paid off and wont have many payments. but from what i know the economys not that bad down their. but its not the best either.

GMLC
11-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Just keep in mind you will have to start from scratch. I don't know how big your operation is now but you will have to start all over again. If you do go I would suggest studying the market very closely before you make a decision. Some areas of the country were hit very hard while others were barley touched by the down turn in the economy. To answer your question I would not want to start over again. I have lived and been active in my community since 1978 so I know alot of people and that helps my business.

jsslawncare
11-27-2011, 04:50 PM
In a heartbeat I would.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-27-2011, 06:56 PM
I am a born business owner it's the perfect fit for me. But I would of succeeded in any of a 100 industries. That said would I start over in landscaping Hell No id pick something with higher profit margins and with even bigger toys to drive. Don't get me wrong I love the trade and I will grow this to a million a year business but I know in other trades I could of and would been able to grow it significantly larger then that.

FoghornLeghorn
11-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Absolutely not!

I would have gone to law school or something.

The "barrier to entry" into landscaping is about $500. Meaning, anyone with $125 for a lawnmower, $75 for a trimmer, and $300 for a trailer can own a "Landscaping Company". There are no licenses, no required insurances, nothing!

Compare that to a crane or a demolition company that must shell out $100,000 just for one piece of equipment in order to open up shop.

Which industry do you think will have less competition? With less competition, comes higher profit margins...

32vld
11-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Absolutely not!

I would have gone to law school or something.

The "barrier to entry" into landscaping is about $500. Meaning, anyone with $125 for a lawnmower, $75 for a trimmer, and $300 for a trailer can own a "Landscaping Company". There are no licenses, no required insurances, nothing!

Compare that to a crane or a demolition company that must shell out $100,000 just for one piece of equipment in order to open up shop.

Which industry do you think will have less competition? With less competition, comes higher profit margins...

Half right. As in landscaping starting out solo, buying used "smaller" dozer and or crane going after the smaller jobs.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
11-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Yup I would do it again. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grassmaster9
11-28-2011, 01:48 AM
Abolutely, 100% certain I'd do it again.

1st class grass
11-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Total Lawn and Sprinkler
11-30-2011, 01:00 PM
I agree with the increased competition from the low cost of entry into this business. With that said I wouldn't hesitate to start a landscaping business. Knowing what I know now it would have to be a smoother process the second time around.

Too many people view landscaping as a commodity and they are willing to take the cut-rate price of competitors. I am willing to let them have each other. If a customer doesn't see the value in landscaping done right then let them find the cheapest landscapers and not those that present them with the most value.

1st class grass
11-30-2011, 02:55 PM
I agree with the increased competition from the low cost of entry into this business. With that said I wouldn't hesitate to start a landscaping business. Knowing what I know now it would have to be a smoother process the second time around.

Too many people view landscaping as a commodity and they are willing to take the cut-rate price of competitors. I am willing to let them have each other. If a customer doesn't see the value in landscaping done right then let them find the cheapest landscapers and not those that present them with the most value.

This is exactly the way I feel.