PDA

View Full Version : Oh NUTS! Shop Hardware and supplies.

tyler_mott85
11-28-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking about investing in an assortment of hardware for the "shop" It would be for just tinkering and repairing. Grade 5 Zinc coated is all I need....

I've looked at some websites and have found various kits from $100 all the way up to $800. Just wondering what you all do for your hardware. I'm needing SAE Coarse thread bolts, nuts, flat and lock washers. 1/4" through 1/2" Would also like some Pan head SAE machine screws and nuts. #4 through 1/4". How do purchasing these kits online compare to having a local company set you up?

Any suggestions? Also...who has a parts washer? Tractor Supply has 20 gallon for $100 and their cleaner is $40 for 5 gallons. What do you all use? And how long can you go before changing out...or I guess replacing the filter.

Thanks!

CL&T
11-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Don't know about kits, I worry about Chinese crap. What I do is buy from an outfit like Grainger boxes of sizes as I need them. Eventually you will have a good assortment and not shell out a lot of money all at once.

KS_Grasscutter
11-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Get your mineral spirits from a local chemical/oil/lubricant supplier. Or just run diesel in it lol.

I live 5 blocks from Ace hardware, and about a mile the other way to Tractor Supply. I don't worry too much about keeping a whole lot of extra hardware, though I get extras when I do a project and throw em in a drawer under my workbench. It seems as time goes by I find more and more that I have what I need in that drawer lol.

DuallyVette
11-29-2011, 01:20 AM
Don't know about kits, I worry about Chinese crap. What I do is buy from an outfit like Grainger boxes of sizes as I need them. Eventually you will have a good assortment and not shell out a lot of money all at once.

I agree with your method. I don't know about Grangers pricing (multi level pricing), but I buy a box of 100 of anything I need from a wholesale nut and bolt warehouse. I think Fastenall also has decent prices.

I keep nuts, washers, and lock nuts and lockwashers in sizes from 1/4 in to 1/2 in. and some larger sizes that fit my mower spindles. As for bolts, I just always buy extra's of what I need at the time. There are too many different legnths to pic a few randomly.

32vld
11-29-2011, 10:21 AM
A business should not tie up cash.

When buying an assortment of hardware you will be getting hardware that will include pieces that will sit there for thirty years and never get used.

Even a common size 5/16" bolt. If you bought 5/16" bolts from 1/2" length and up available that will be a lot of bolts.

Best thing to do is when you need a bolt, washer, nut, clevis pin, etc. Buy and extra one. This way you will know that that particular hardware will fit on the equipment you own. So your spare collection will not include hardware that you will never use.

Next thing to do is when you have equipment that is ready to be scraped put it on the side till the things slow down over the winter. Then strip off all the hardware you can. Nuts, bolts, washers, clips, springs, linkage rods, cables, etc.

Jason Rose
11-29-2011, 10:56 AM
I have a ton of parts bins and drawers and all are filled with about every size, shape, and type of fastener, nut, washer, etc. You can ever need. I buy most of my nuts and bolts at TSC in bulk by weight, specialty things like self drilling sheet metal screws I will buy in one of those assorted sizes boxes from harbor freight or northern. Never had an issue with them... Going to the hardware store just to get a bolt or nut you may have lost is a PITA. I'd bet what I've spent on my stock I've saved in gas and time over the years!
Posted via Mobile Device