PDA

View Full Version : When do you decide to call it a day?

Darryl G
11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm just wondering what others do on fall cleanups when you finish a job at lets say 3:30 p.m. and know that you only have another hour of daylight left, and it's not enough time to do any of the jobs on your list. Do you head to a new job and work until it's dark and then come back the following day or just call it a day and hit the next job tomorrow? I tend to just call it a day rather than head there to work for a short period of time just to have to load up and leave. It does depend somewhat on what I'm doing...I've found that I really don't need much light if I'm just using the blowers but I will not run my mowers unless I have sufficient light.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Quitting at 3:30 would make me very upset losing just one clean up is not something I take lightly cause over 20 -25 fall work days that can add up. Yesterday was Sunday and I can not dump my leaf boxes so the plan was to have one close to empty. But due to a unexpected 50 yards of leaves the day before I went into Sunday with less room then I hoped so by 2 pm I had to call it a day because we had no room for more leaves.

Now we will blow off lawns till around 4:45 after that it gets difficult to see if your getting all of it out of the lawns. But we will vac up piles past 6 some nights and I can mow well past 5 I don't need a lot of light to mow you can learn to do it from memory. Which I learned to do long ago when I use to work for my last boss he would always keep me on a back pack till dark and only then let me mow.

Darryl G
11-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, I have a place I can always go when I quit early...my back acreage. It's mostly wooded but I have about 1/2 mile of roadway, a bunch of trails/fire breaks and some clearings. It's in pretty good shape now as far as leaves but I still have hurricane cleanup to do. When I ran a leaf vac I did tend to work later but really have no use for one now unless I go chasing piles.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-28-2011, 11:43 PM
I turn down piles when asked to come by and vac them up and that happens a lot twice in the last 3 days. The vac trucks are for my clean ups only but it never seizes to amaze me how often some one thinks I'm going to interrupt a 4 or 5 man crew to suck up a 50-100 dollar pile on the other side of town.

ralph02813
11-29-2011, 06:22 AM
I have quit as early as 2:30 this time of year, it depends what Iam doing - blowing leaves at or 2:30 or 3 I will fill the tank one more time, that gives me 1.25 hours. If its power equipment with sharp edges, unless I have had an easy day I pack up - I often think that trying to squeeze one more thing in at the end of the day when you are beat anyways is a recipe for an accident.

32vld
11-29-2011, 10:41 AM
I hate to start a leaf cleanup on one day and finish it the next day because it seems that leaves will always fall or blow onto the area aleady done from the day before.

But work load, weather forecast, and is there a small job that you can do in the time left such as trim bush or cut off a tree limb all have to be figured in.

Thing is many people work 10+ hr days during the summer. So they should not feel lazy if they have a short day in the fall.

Though in the end is the amount of clean ups you have to do verses the amount of days you have to get them all done must be considered.

I happy to be done doing a clean at 2pm because the town yard waste/mulching center closes at 2:45 pm. And my work load is not heavy.

JDiepstra
11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
I will not start a residential that i wont finish but i surely will start a large commercial that i wont.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
11-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't start anything new at 3:30. I would just empty the truck, get gas....bascially get all together for the next day.

dKoester
11-29-2011, 05:39 PM
I personally like a head-start to the next day. More money in the pocket.

Darryl G
11-29-2011, 05:42 PM
I will not start a residential that i wont finish but i surely will start a large commercial that i wont.

Yeah...I did that over the weekend at a factory I do...blew the heavy accumulations on the lawn on Saturday until dark and went back for the mow on Sunday.

THEGOLDPRO
11-29-2011, 05:50 PM
For some reason the running lights are not working on my trailer The blinkers and brake lights work just not the running lights. so i end right before it gets dark so i can get home without getting pulled over for no running lights lol

Darryl G
11-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Anyway, today was an easy call...I was finishing up a cleanup as it started to rain and get dark. That's the kind of definitive end to a day that I like, lol.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Very easy call today nearly 4 pm and it started to rain we finished a 2nd large clean up mins before time to go home.

ralph02813
11-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Anyway, today was an easy call...I was finishing up a cleanup as it started to rain and get dark. That's the kind of definitive end to a day that I like, lol.

worked in the woods all day under grey skies and a warm breeze,, every once in a while a mist blew in, at 3:30the sun came out - went home!

Groomer
11-30-2011, 09:00 AM
this time of year 330 hits the sun starts sinking pretty quick-I'll finish up, but won't start another. 7+ inches of rain this month hasn't helped.

ralph02813
11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Where I was working yesterday, there is a clay line about a foot down so the water has to evaporate cause it has no where to go - I get soaked walking across the lawn to get to the woods in back - my winter project.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-05-2011, 06:32 PM
My last guy was finally available to start work with us today and that changed our quit times now we have 5 guys so even at 4 pm we can bang out a 5 man hour job. Which is what we did tonight to bad it was practically a swamp but we figured better to do it now cause if its that wet after 6 dry days I would hate to see it after the next 3 rain days we got. But it was nice to knock out 5 clean ups today all good sized ones we brought in 1800 our new 1 day clean up record.

Darryl G
12-05-2011, 06:44 PM
My last guy was finally available to start work with us today and that changed our quit times now we have 5 guys so even at 4 pm we can bang out a 5 man hour job. Which is what we did tonight to bad it was practically a swamp but we figured better to do it now cause if its that wet after 6 dry days I would hate to see it after the next 3 rain days we got. But it was nice to knock out 5 clean ups today all good sized ones we brought in 1800 our new 1 day clean up record.

Nice but I do that working a 5 hour day solo. :laugh: I wrapped up at 4:30 today, just about right for me. It was hard to see by then due to fog...I was down by the water. Got a late start though.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Are your really just solo darryl? God bless you if you are I think I worked solo 10 days this season between employees and god I hate that. Yes I can mow 500-600 a day solo but it just drains the life out of you rather make 750-900 on a 2 man crew and get out of all that weed wacking.

Darryl G
12-05-2011, 08:44 PM
It's a family business but mostly just me. My older son (17) is my trimmer/blower guy in summer and my welder/mechanic helper. Wifey is supposedly the office manager but not in reality...she handles a lot of the phone calls and that's about it. Nice to have her on dispatch for plowing though. My little guy (14) does odds and ends for me and I'm TRYING to get him trained on string trimming...not going so well. He's good for hedge job cleanups and loading brush. He's a BIG kid, over 6 foot already and pretty strong. He takes a bit too much supervision though.

The tough part for me is Spring when my sons are still in school, cleanups to do, mowing, mulching and all that. I'm a pretty intense guy and don't mind being sore from a hard day's work. I'm a former bicycle racer, cross country runner and long distance backpacker (3K+ miles) so I handle it pretty well. A 25 pound backpack blower ain't squat when you've hiked out west along the Continental Divide with 1 to 3 weeks of supplies on your back at a time, lol. Of course, that was 3 decades ago.......

ncls
12-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Nice but I do that working a 5 hour day solo. :laugh: I wrapped up at 4:30 today, just about right for me. It was hard to see by then due to fog...I was down by the water. Got a late start though.

If you bill 1800.00 for work you do by yourself, in one day, either everyone on this forum is doing something wrong, or you're full of it. Care to enlighten us????

Darryl G
12-06-2011, 08:11 AM
If you bill 1800.00 for work you do by yourself, in one day, either everyone on this forum is doing something wrong, or you're full of it. Care to enlighten us????

I was just teasing him but I have actually made that much in one day working solo doing lawn renovations...it wasn't a 5 hour day though.

jackal
12-06-2011, 08:21 AM
I don't mind starting happy hour at 3:30.

Patriot Services
12-06-2011, 09:01 AM
3:30 puts us back at the shop and out by 4. This time of year it's good for crew morale. We hammered all spring and summer with 11-14 hour days.:usflag:

Groomer
12-06-2011, 11:26 AM
ditto on the 330 happy hour-9 inches + of rain here in the last 4 weeks has made a soggy nasty mess of final cleanups.

Darryl G
12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
My happy hour days are long gone. I've been to a bar twice in the last 5 years or so and that was only because that's where my high school reunion comittee was meeting. They have a happy hour law here in CT, nothing overly restrictive, but you can't even order a shot and a beer at the same time...only one drink at a time. When I was younger there was a bar that would tap a keg for happy hour and for a flat fee you drank as much as you wanted while it lasted...those days are gone too.

jackal
12-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Don't go to a bar actually, a private warehouse where a few guys get together after work and have a beer or two. I usually go home at 5

Groomer
12-06-2011, 02:24 PM
happy hour at the house-haven't been to a bar in years, my bar's right here, no driving needed. course thats seasonal.

Patriot Services
12-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Happy hour is 2 Aleve, a beer, the hottub and the grill pulled close enough so I don't have to get out to turn the meat. I'm also not above eating dinner in same hottub.
Posted via Mobile Device

sven1277
12-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I guess it depends on how big your crew is. I run a 6-7man crew for cleanups. We can easily pound out a $300-400 job in that last hour of light. We do 120 to 130 cleanups a year so I can always schedule jobs near each other every day.

Agape
12-07-2011, 03:16 AM
Happy hour is 2 Aleve, a beer, the hottub and the grill pulled close enough so I don't have to get out to turn the meat. I'm also not above eating dinner in same hottub.
Posted via Mobile Device

maaan, I need a hot tub bad!

andyslawncare
12-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Come on, its winter. Hibernation time. We leave at 7:45 and stop when there is still 2 hrs of day light. Contracted maintenance pays the bills still and is easy, so why work till dark all year? Jobs are sold, and anyone that has called by now will still be done before christmas.

Darryl G
12-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah well you're down south...longer season. But lately I've decided to call it a day before it even started...waiting for better conditions for some one-time cleanups and I'm getting some stuff done around my place. Finially got the last remains of the 85 foot oak tree cleaned up off my lawn from Hurricane Irene.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-13-2011, 08:45 AM
God I hate clean ups I am down to 5 left plus finishing my house. So I got perhaps $1500 left on the table and I am going to try my best to get them all done today. But 4 are on my partners list and ones on mine so there is some real drive time to get to the last one. We have done 3 days followed by a rain day then 12 days followed by 2 rain days and this is now our 6th day in a row. Now 2 of them were half days so we go through all this for a lousy 20 days of work. If we finish today we averaged 4.35 clean ups a day this season. The one thing we didn't do was chase down any clean ups this year in the past we called customer's that weren't on the list. Not this year I just want to be done also you can rationalize skipping some. I have a 6-800 dollar one I won't be doing why well besides the fact I hate that place I plan on dropping them this spring and what does that actually work out too perhaps 200 dollars for the company after expenses. Hardly worth waking up and dealing with the frost covered ground for 200 dollars more spending money.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Got the 5 I wanted now I just need to finish my yard and drop my two cripples off to my dealer. Empty my 2 leaf boxes and take the one on the new truck apart and wash and put away my equipment. So in closing I am ending my season tomorrow and I can not wait to get to sleep in and rest.

Darryl G
12-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Got the 5 I wanted now I just need to finish my yard and drop my two cripples off to my dealer. Empty my 2 leaf boxes and take the one on the new truck apart and wash and put away my equipment. So in closing I am ending my season tomorrow and I can not wait to get to sleep in and rest.

Your dealer supplies you with your helpers? Grats on finishing up.

I still have everything to do that I did a week ago, lol. Dealt with the frakin VW for a while yesterday and ended up sending it to the shop to get a battery put in and some electrical gremlins diagnosed and fixed....yeah I know, I can't even put a battery in a car....wasn't worth the aggrivation...that van is a royal PITA. I'd have to have been a 3 armed contortionist with a magician for a helper to get that thing out and back in...and $135 frakin battery!!!! I could fly a helicopter for what it costs me to run that thing.

ralph02813
12-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Your dealer supplies you with your helpers? Grats on finishing up.

I still have everything to do that I did a week ago, lol. Dealt with the frakin VW for a while yesterday and ended up sending it to the shop to get a battery put in and some electrical gremlins diagnosed and fixed....yeah I know, I can't even put a battery in a car....wasn't worth the aggrivation...that van is a royal PITA. I'd have to have been a 3 armed contortionist with a magician for a helper to get that thing out and back in...and $135 frakin battery!!!! I could fly a helicopter for what it costs me to run that thing.

Geez AAA came to my truck on the job and put in an 8 year battery for $110.00 :walking:

Kelly's Landscaping
12-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Not exactly darryl My 60 inch lazer blew the hydraulics the first day of clean ups and I broke a fuel pump on one of the vacs so we stole the one off the lazer. So that has to go in for service and my fradan 18hp blower had the ignition go tonight while running on the last lawn of the season.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Some how we manged to finish with one surviving rake. Many threats had to be made to the men to stop breaking them for that one rake to make it. Hard to believe but about 90 days from now it all starts again.

Darryl G
12-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Geez AAA came to my truck on the job and put in an 8 year battery for $110.00 :walking:

Yeah, but I bet your truck ain't a VW Eurovan, lol. German over engineering...there's a freakin circuit board for the dome light!!!!!!

Darryl G
12-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Some how we manged to finish with one surviving rake. Many threats had to be made to the men to stop breaking them for that one rake to make it. Hard to believe but about 90 days from now it all starts again.
Rake, what's a rake?