PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Mulch

jeffslawnservice
11-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Looking for some input on rubber mulch. I have read a few threads on here regarding it and found some pro's and con's about it. Currently in this bed are 3-4 inch river rock and the homeowner said they have been having problems with the dogs going to the bathroom on it and its hard to clean up. Also weeds and crickets hiding in the rocks. So one of my ideas was rubber mulch since there are only flower pots around the area and not any plants actually in the ground. Besides for rubber mulch I was thinking pea gravel, regular mulch (customer did want a very low maintenance solution and the area is not very accessible.) and some sort of ground cover. This area is around the perimeter of a very very small patio. If anyone has any input to rubber mulch or any other options I would gladly appreciate the input.

ralph02813
11-29-2011, 07:17 AM
I cannot imagine trying to scoop dog crab off of rubber mulch. If the gardens are in a shadey area, or if there are enough bushes to produce local shade in the garden try a good hardy ground cover like packysandra (sp)

JB1
11-29-2011, 07:24 AM
local school was doing construction and redid a playground, its got to be a biggest mess I have ever seen, blows out, kids scatter it out of area, gets in in kids shoes, parents don't like it.. I think they regret going with it now. Oh yes and very expensive.

tailboardtech
11-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Search my name and read my post I made back in the summer about it I absolutely love the stuff .......... Yea right!
Posted via Mobile Device

RGM
11-30-2011, 02:04 PM
I have a couple of lawns with rubber mulch and just hate it. Dogs love to roll around in it and is get all over the place they should teach their dogs not to crap in it just as easy as teaching them not to crap in the house. If they don't like natural wood I like the look of stones but small stones will give you the same problem if they get out of the beds its a pain to clean up and you don't want them in places your cutting.

MOW ED
11-30-2011, 02:54 PM
It kind of looks wierd, the town used it in their round abouts and we shall see what it looks like after a Wisconsin winter.
Bottom line for me is that it reduces my bottom line. Its a hard sell because it is quite expensive but aside from that people aren't used to it. I like replenishing their mulch every 2 years or so and that makes my pockets happy. I do not want anything to do with rubber mulch.

JB1
11-30-2011, 03:25 PM
It kind of looks wierd, the town used it in their round abouts and we shall see what it looks like after a Wisconsin winter.
Bottom line for me is that it reduces my bottom line. Its a hard sell because it is quite expensive but aside from that people aren't used to it. I like replenishing their mulch every 2 years or so and that makes my pockets happy. I do not want anything to do with rubber mulch.

the only ones I see using it is government agencies (schools) or organizations getting government money as nobody else can afford the stuff.

H & M Yard Improvements
12-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I cannot imagine trying to scoop dog crab off of rubber mulch. If the gardens are in a shadey area, or if there are enough bushes to produce local shade in the garden try a good hardy ground cover like packysandra (sp)

OMG I hate Packysandra, such a pain in the ass when doing leaf clean ups! I like them about as much as I like Forsythia!

South Florida Lawns
12-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Rubber mulch smells horrible and is a bad idea for residential customers. The only time I'd ever use it is on playgrounds.

Mudly
12-04-2011, 09:07 PM
OMG I hate Packysandra, such a pain in the ass when doing leaf clean ups! I like them about as much as I like Forsythia!

packysandra isnt as bad as myrtle for cleanups.

GreenGuysLC
12-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Rubber mulch smells horrible and is a bad idea for residential customers. The only time I'd ever use it is on playgrounds.

I wouldnt push it on residential just bc of price and loss of future revenue , BUT it isnt bad like people are telling you. If this will be the only time you will prob maintenence this area then sell the good stuff.

Cons: Price, and installation.

Pros: Looks nice and is maintenence free (to an extent)

I know because I put some at my house around my kids play set. the only way to buy it is to find a supplier and have it shipped in bulk. You can not afford to do much buying it in bags. SMELL??? for the first few days it did have the rubber smell...it is RUBBER... but the smell quickly goes away. Make sure you look for mulch without wires... and better to find smaller chips and not mulch with large chunks.

It isnt weed free like mulch suppliers will tell u though. it wont blow out unless you take a blower and try to blow it out, it dont float out , but it can be kicked out.

That is facts from someone that has the stuff. if you need a number for the supplier I used let me know..

LawnMan19
12-08-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't like rubber mulch It's expensive I think like 3 times as much. haven't priced recently it's lighter then bark or hardwood so it seems to blow away easily. and if the home owners don't want bark or hardwood. as far as rock goes I like they call it river pebbles here it's the best looking I have used it's the only rock I use for beds.