PDA

View Full Version : enclosed mowing trailers

WINTER 3
11-28-2011, 09:59 PM
For those of you who used open mowing trailers and switched to enclosed trailers. What made you do it?

B&M
12-02-2011, 02:01 AM
We have both, I like to run the enclosed. I guess the biggest plus is equipment storage and security, if we stop for lunch no worries. the best part is when we get to the shop at the end of the day all we do is lock the doors and leave.

mowerbrad
12-02-2011, 09:42 AM
I almost switched to an enclosed trailer last year when I bought my new open trailer. I liked the idea of having all of my stuff oit of the weather and in a more secure spot. I also liked the idea of being able to bring all of my tools with me. However, I need to haul lots of grass and leaves especially so an enclosed didn't really allow me to that as easily as an open trailer. Plus the price.for the size enclosed trailer that I would have bought and to get it outfitted how I wanted, it would have just way too much.
Posted via Mobile Device

jetta
12-05-2011, 08:35 AM
thieves made me do it

RGM
12-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Enclosed saves you time locking up covering in the rain snow etc. I changed back to open when I cut down on the business to solo only have one trailer now and you cant much or haul away crap as easy.

Green surfer 1
12-05-2011, 08:16 PM
We run both. Having enclosed lets some of our equipt stay in the trailer ready to go for the next day without unloading everything to be brought inside. Also act as a portable shed when not in use for our equipt or supplies durring winter .Great for rolling advertisement too. If you could afford one i think it would be a wise investment.

PLS-Tx
12-06-2011, 12:48 AM
I used a open trailer for several years before buying an enclosed about 6 years ago.

The enclosed works great for us.

We still use the open for debris.

xclusive
12-06-2011, 04:10 PM
I had an open trailer the first year and then switched to enclosed. The fact that I do not have to unload anything anymore makes it worth it. Not to mention if we are out cutting and it starts raining everything stays dry.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Enclosed is great but to take full advantage of it you need to really take some time to think about the design of the interior. ProLockers for the tires are a must, Extreme Rack & spool holder as well. Ladder racks for the ceiling. Toolbox for regular and mix gas to keep fumes down and prevent spills. Close to the door you need to mount one mix can and a fire extinguisher. Your crew should be able to take one step in the trailer and reach a blower, mix gas, or a string trimmer.

To answer your question wanting a garage on wheels made me do it.

PLS-Tx
12-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Prolockers are not necessary, we have 2X4's in front and behind each back wheel on the ztr's, works great.

We keep the trimmers, edger, blowers, and mix cans on the floor. Open the side door and everything is right there, no need to step inside.

professional
12-07-2011, 07:06 AM
For us it was for keeping equipment out of the weather. Everyone talks about the rain, but I find that being out of the sun is just as important. Also, it makes for a great billboard. Don't be afraid to customize and order it. We made a lot of changes that I do not even slightly regret.

lawnsunlimited6
12-15-2011, 09:52 PM
secruity,a garage on wheels,advertisement,a place to pee in a cup when your in a tight spot jim.......

GreenI.A.
12-17-2011, 12:05 AM
I don't do maintenance, just installs, hardscape, irrigation and fert. I run an open for my skidsteer and large rented equipment. Otherwise we use encosed for the miniskid, and all construction and irrigation equipment and materials. It's a large adverisement area and when working on an install it's like have a shop on site.

B&M
12-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Enclosed is great but to take full advantage of it you need to really take some time to think about the design of the interior. ProLockers for the tires are a must, Extreme Rack & spool holder as well. Ladder racks for the ceiling. Toolbox for regular and mix gas to keep fumes down and prevent spills. Close to the door you need to mount one mix can and a fire extinguisher. Your crew should be able to take one step in the trailer and reach a blower, mix gas, or a string trimmer.

To answer your question wanting a garage on wheels made me do it.

We use D rings to tie down equipment, as for tools and gas cans we have a rolling tool cart mounted to the wall for storage. It works well for us I will try to remember to post some pictures.

PremierT&L
12-20-2011, 12:52 PM
We are in the process of expanding to 2 crews. We have been running 1 crew out of a 14 foot open trailer so far. I am having a real tough time deciding on whether to add another open trailer, or an enclosed 1. I have affordable garage space for both trailers, so i'm not as worried about the weather, however I think the enclosed trailers just look more professional, and I am really trying to improve our image as we continue to add larger contracts. OTOH, I really like the convenience of the open trailer. I can pull into a gas station and the guys can fuel up everything quickly without having to unload.

How do you guys with enclosed trailers fuel your machines? What are your thoughts on your company's image with the enclosed vs. the open trailers?

thanks!!

GreenI.A.
12-20-2011, 01:18 PM
How do you guys with enclosed trailers fuel your machines? What are your thoughts on your company's image with the enclosed vs. the open trailers?

thanks!!

As far as fueling with an enclosed most trailer companies offer an option for a pass through door on the side of the trailer, basically a small access door on the side to pass the gas nozzle through to the inside of the trailer. You can also buy these aftermarket online and simply install them your self. Alot of guys I know mount a 25+- gallon fuel tank in their trailer that can be filled from out side. They fill it 1-2 times a week, and hve the fuel on hand to fill equippment and mix tanks as needed.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I fill up the truck about once a week myself. Sending a crew to the gas station to fill everything up just means more over time. That's three guys which will mean at least one man hour more of OT a week. In a year I'd be paying about $1000 to do something I could do myself. Plus I can take the time to drive to the Walmart (4 miles away) to fill up where fuel will be cheaper and save even more money. The convenience store close by gets expensive.

I keep four 2.5 gallon mix containers and three 5 gallon gas cans in the trailer secured in boxes to minimize fumes and spills. These are all No Spill cans. All other cans suck. At my place I keep another 5-6 five gallon cans. Every few days I swap out empty cans for full ones. Once a week I''ll buy about 30-40 gallons of gas. One 2.5 mix can goes by the ramp door in the box I built for quick refills.

You need to keep your cans secure and not just sitting around on the floor like a lot of yahoos. Bad things can happen when you have even one gallon of gas get spilled and it ignites all your stuff. If your not using No Spill cans your wasting a lot of time with the other crappy CARB approved cans.

You can see the shot of the Prolocker as well. No 2x4's like the reply mentioned or anything else is as secure and efficient as the Prolocker. You pull and twist the handle in a fraction of a second and you off mowing. I made a handle guard out of 4x4's and as you can see it's already been damaged.

PLS-Tx
12-20-2011, 02:34 PM
We are in the process of expanding to 2 crews. We have been running 1 crew out of a 14 foot open trailer so far. I am having a real tough time deciding on whether to add another open trailer, or an enclosed 1. I have affordable garage space for both trailers, so i'm not as worried about the weather, however I think the enclosed trailers just look more professional, and I am really trying to improve our image as we continue to add larger contracts. OTOH, I really like the convenience of the open trailer. I can pull into a gas station and the guys can fuel up everything quickly without having to unload.

thanks!!

I was concerned about the getting fuel also when I was considering changing from open to enclosed.

We have two fuel doors and it is not a problem at all.

One thing I do is open the ramp and side door when we fill up so fumes don't build up in the trailer.

I agree that enclosed look more professional.

Use pro lockers if you want but they have not been necessary for us. I mentioned we used 2X4's but I had forgot we changed them to 1X2's. The 1X2's are much easier to drive over.

The only time the ztr's have moved is when one of the guys forgot to set the brake. The parking brake on our Ferris ztr's work very well, the Dixie Choppers we had not so much.

I would never want to go back to an open trailer.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-20-2011, 03:32 PM
At first I only had the ProLockers on my Scag 36 SWZU's because the brakes levers push down instead of pulling on them. This causes the shafts to bow and give you weak brakes.

I tried my V-Ride with some plates on the floor but all it took was a few bumps on the hills and the mower started to move around inside the trailer. I didn't like the thought of my 700+ lb V-Ride smashing up against my $1200 Honda, $500 blowers, or even grinding a hole in the V-Ride gas tank. Having a bunch of stuff protruding from the floor is a trip hazard as well.

If you have a close call and have to make a quick turn or nail the brakes the Prolockers will keep everything in place. 2x4's and things will work in a best case scenario but in a worst case scenario all those expensive mowers are going to go flying around inside of your expensive trailer. I do not like to take risks and hope for the best with my $6500 trailer with over $20,000 worth of equipment inside.

Only buy Prolockers on ebay. You can get them for about $90. Most other places want $150+. Lesco tried to sell them for $180 and wondered why they never sold any.

PremierT&L
12-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys for the input! Very helpful to say the least. I had know idea about the fuel doors. Those wheel locks look pretty slick too.

The more I think about it the more I think I will go with the enclosed trailer. Thanks in advance for any more comments.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Most trailer companies like Pace & Wells Cargo have territories so you don't see them on every corner like a Chevy dealership. Find out who the next closest dealers are and shake them both down. My local place tried to play the it sells for sticker price crap until they knew I was talking to another place 75 miles away. They came down about $500 off the sticker price.

I put about three grand down on mine and used my low interest credit card for the rest. Paid it off in about two years and paid very little in interest. I'm getting ready to by an Ecolawn top dresser with my credit card now. It's 1.99% interest for two years. When you have top tier credit the offers come non stop every day or two.

PLS-Tx
12-21-2011, 01:42 AM
I planned it so we could reach the front ztr and gas cans with the front fuel door and the back ztr with the back fuel door. We ordered ours with them but some dealers will install them.

Southscapes03
12-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Talking about keeping the mowers in place, we started using straps over the drive wheels 3 yrs ago and never looked back. I put D rings on the floor then run a strap over the wheel and your off to the races. I run a walker and a Kubota ZD 323 and you can quarentee that they aren't going anywhere with them strapped that way. I will be receiving my enclosed trailer by the second week in January and when I get it all set up ill post up some pics as well

The straps and D rings are much cheaper than the wheel lock system yall where dicsussing earlier

PlantscapeSolutions
12-24-2011, 11:04 PM
You need to factor in time is money. The Prolockers may cost you more now but they are more efficient. To get you equipment out it's all of about two seconds to pull and twist the handle. To lock in place just turn the handle a tint bit and when you drive into the locker it closes automatically. No straps to wear out or buckles to get damaged.

I used a single strap setup for about ten years before going to an enclosed trailer and spending money on everything possible to maximize efficiency. It is good that you do secure your mowers in a safe way. It's amazing to see all the guys driving around with a mini demolition derby going on inside their trailers.

Oakleaf landscape
12-24-2011, 11:32 PM
prolockers suck. They get in the way and you end up having to remove them if you need to haul additional equipment or need to rearrange things. I like the fast strap system personally. Very secure and you can't trip over it nearly as easily.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-25-2011, 01:55 AM
ProLockersare definitely are for dedicated maintenance trailers. If your a professional with a setup geared towards speed and efficiency you will like the ProLockers. Nothing comes even close to being as quick. You can pull and twist a pin in about one second.

I own three other trailers so I do not need to use my trailer for other uses or equipment. My trailer is used to haul three mowers from 36's to 52's and I never have any problems with my Lockers being in the way. You can easily look at the picture of my enclosed trailer on the prior page and see it is a very clean setup.

It does take some imagination to design your trailer in such a way that the Lockers will be out of the way. If your a sharp person you can probably easily handle the challenge. I think you'll find most people who use strong words like "suck" to describe ProLockers have never actually owned them.

Southscapes03
12-25-2011, 07:49 AM
my problem is that i back my mowers on the trailers to get my weight distribution better, so thats why I never even considered the prolockers. I always liked the idea of being able to pull in and lock the mower down that way, just doesnt work for me.

GravelyGuy
12-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Prolockers are a waste of money for an enclosed trailer. Just use 2x4s or chocks.

PLS-Tx
12-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Prolockers are a waste of money for an enclosed trailer. Just use 2x4s or chocks.

Been using an enclosed for about 6 years and never seen a need for them.

Oakleaf landscape
12-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Look pro lockers get in the way. It's a fact, people can trip over them. And yes they might be faster than fast straps. But what it takes me 10 seconds to fasten TWO wheels with fast straps and it might take you 5 seconds with the pro locker? Ill take the fast straps over pro lockers any day. Not to mention I have TWO secured points instead of only 1.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-27-2011, 01:22 PM
If you look at the picture I have posted on the prior page you can easily see the ProLockers are mounted along the wall and are not in the way at all. I have racks and other objects that protrude from the wall even more then the Lockers. Down the entire center area of the trailer where people actually need to walk the area is free and clear of 2x4's and aluminum brackets and straps. Zero trip hazards, straps that can wear out, or buckles that can get run over and be damaged. It's really nice to have zero objects protruding from the traffic area.

I don't ever have to handle wet dirty straps when mowing in the morning or have to deal with an occasion turd. The other drawback of the GreenTouch Fastraps is you can't mount them tight up against the wall out of the way like you can the ProLockers. If you mount the Fastraps against the wall you can't get to them.

If you are forced to park your mowers down the center of your trailer the ProLockers are not going to work and that's a given. I'm not going to argue that point at all. I do not like my mowers down the middle because it leaves a skinny gap on both sides of the mowers that are a waste of space. I prefer to have my mowers pushed to one side with a larger more function walk area on one side.

The Fastraps are less secure for many mowers because the rear tires are low psi. Three of my mowers have 12 psi rear tires and a rounded surface that makes straps want to slip of the tires. The Prolockers mount to front tires which run with 30-40 psi which is why you only need one. Having to deal with two devices for securing all my mowers is just a waste of time.

I like GreenTouch's Extreme Series string trimmer rack and would love to see them come up with a better mower securing system that is as fast and time saving. The Extreme Rack saves a little time at each and every stop we make. For my application the ProLockers are the most efficient tool on the market and can't be matched by other devices that use buckles and straps that are more times consuming.

I think ProLockers are like the Magnamatic grinders in that everyone who talks badly about them like they're an expert has never actually owned one. You will rarely find anyone who talks negatively about the Magnamatic grinder or ProLockers who actually speaks from experience. I’m not bad mouthing the Fastraps because there are times when you have no choice. But for applications like mine and many others the ProLockers can’t come close to being matched for ease of use, and speed which will put more money in your wallet.

PLS-Tx
12-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Maybe we could all just use whatever works for us.

Southscapes03
12-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Maybe we could all just use whatever works for us.

well said! we all use different mowers with different styles, what works for one may or may not work for another. Its being able to accept this fact and not ridicule others for doing it their way that makes a good thread! I use a walker and a Kubota, the walker deck stays flipped up out of the way and the Kubota front wheels are HUGE, so prolockers are useless to me. Like stated in an earlier post, I have used straps for several years and they work for me, and in the pictures I can see how the prolockers work for some.

Jason Rose
12-28-2011, 12:10 PM
As for the fuel door, you can option for a full size walk door on both sides as well. To me that would be the best option. I've kicked around the enclosed trailer idea for several years now. My biggest hang-up is my carport I have to keep my current trailer under is too low, by a couple feet, for an enclosed. I'd like to have a roof over an enclosed even but there's no simple way to raise my carport... Positive to an enclosed has been mantioned, and I'll agree the sun is actually a big reason I'd like to have one. It sucks buying a brand new piece of equipment only to have it all faded out in a year because it's sitting out all day every day, whether in use or not. Negatives to an enclosed is the extra weight, unless you opt to pay for one with an all aluminium frame, and how much harder it is to access things like blowers, trimmers, etc.

PLS-Tx
12-28-2011, 01:11 PM
As for the fuel door, you can option for a full size walk door on both sides as well. To me that would be the best option. I've kicked around the enclosed trailer idea for several years now. My biggest hang-up is my carport I have to keep my current trailer under is too low, by a couple feet, for an enclosed. I'd like to have a roof over an enclosed even but there's no simple way to raise my carport... Positive to an enclosed has been mantioned, and I'll agree the sun is actually a big reason I'd like to have one. It sucks buying a brand new piece of equipment only to have it all faded out in a year because it's sitting out all day every day, whether in use or not. Negatives to an enclosed is the extra weight, unless you opt to pay for one with an all aluminium frame, and how much harder it is to access things like blowers, trimmers, etc.

Mine barely fits, if I leave the vents up they will hit the carport.

As far as being harder to get to blowers, trimmers, ect. It is easier for us than it was with the open. We keep all those tools on the floor, just open the side door and grab what you need.

phil5
01-07-2012, 08:24 PM
You guys need my Prolockers!!! See my add, New original Prolockers F/S best price ever!!

ProLockers Trailer Wheel Lock Down System Lawnmowers ATV’S Landscapers look!

Check me out on Ebay, user pcb1303 Ebay item# 230378274152 I have been selling Prolockers for years and 100% feedback!!! I am a paid sponsor of this site and I may terminate my sponsorship at any given time, so make sure you write down my contact information as I will be selling the original left over stock of Prolockers for years to come.

Here is the story, I bought up ALL of the “Original Prolockers made from 2002 to 2007” with extra parts (yes, the pins) a few years back shortly after ProEquipment (Prolockers.com) the founder went bankrupt. These units are VERY popular as I have sold hundreds of them in a short time and hundreds more on hand so keep my phone number I will be around for a long time! I have sold these on Lawnsite for about a year, but now I am back in full force and I want to personally thank all of you who have purchased the Prolockers from me in the past with hopes of many more new customers, tell all of you friends. Please post reply’s to my add here and tell everyone of your experience with the purchase of a Prolocker from me, GOODJ or BadL!

New in the box left over original stock, never used or opened.

LOWEST PRICE YOU WILL EVER FIND!!

ProLockers Features:
∑ Heavy Duty steel construction
∑ Powder-coated finish
∑ All hardware and instructions included
∑ Installs in 20 minutes or less
∑ Only one ProLockers needed per piece of equipment up to 1,500 lbs.
∑ Secures equipment and prevents damage
∑ Mounts to left or right side of equipment
∑ Comes complete with mounting brackets and hardware.
∑ Optional Padlock For Theft Prevention
∑ Easy 1 Pin Removal From Trailer Deck
∑ Eliminate Chains, Straps, and Tie-Downs
∑ The most important one of all, Exceeds DOT Requirements 393.100 and 393.102 (try finding this on the new reproduction ones made from overseas)!!!

Below are the models and their capacity. Please use the tire size for your application as listed below to help you determine the unit that will best match your needs.

MODEL #PE-WL 325
12 1/2" to 16" Tire Height
7 1/8" Tire Width
Fits most zero turn mowers, lawn/garden tractors, and
some snow blowers, stump grinders, and golf carts
List Price: $169.95
Our Price: $60.00 each OR 2 for $100.00 (spring special).

MODEL #PE-WL 425
20” to 26” Tire Height
11 1/8” Tire Width
Fits most ATVs, Utility Vehicles, and some large golf carts
List Price: $249.95
Our Price: $125.00

I also have many extra sets of pins; they are sold in a set of 2 (one fixed and one operational) for the cost $17.95 with free shipping.

SHIPPING USA only, flat rate of $15.00 for each Prolocker.

PAYMENT, PayPal, Bank Check or Postal Money order ONLY.

I have several hundred of the ORIGINAL STOCK ProLockers, “MADE IN THE USA” and not the ones made overseas that you would pay $129.99 for. I will ship FedEx ground all insured from FedEx for $100.00 per box (no PO boxes PLEASE), I also ship truck freight and I offer high volume discount buying. Contact me for more information. SCAMERS NEED NOT TO APPLY, WE ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!

Phil 715-551-2215 (cell)
Wausau, WI 54401

Jbh0724
01-15-2012, 06:22 PM
To each his own. I use an open trailer with a walker and do not need anything to secure it. The brake on the mower does its job. If you are a lawn care pro, and plan on doing this for a while, buy a prolocker and see what you think. If you do not like it, then sell it and try something different.

lawnsunlimited6
01-15-2012, 08:23 PM
hope you dont have to slam on the brakes!!!!!

GreenI.A.
01-16-2012, 03:09 PM
To each his own. I use an open trailer with a walker and do not need anything to secure it. The brake on the mower does its job. If you are a lawn care pro, and plan on doing this for a while, buy a prolocker and see what you think. If you do not like it, then sell it and try something different.

Depends on where you live. Here in MA you need two straps holding down each piece of equipment (mower, blowers, trimers), if you use a mechanical device (prolocker) you only need one device per piece of equipment. If you get caught here driving an open trailer with out straps just using the brakes as you do, you would be heavily fined. Your system might work fine until you get in an accident and pieces of equipment are flying into the roadway causing more damage.

lawnsunlimited6
01-16-2012, 11:48 PM
same goes here in kentucky,except for the jack-leggs!!!!!!