PDA

View Full Version : New mower suggestions

jtuga1975
11-28-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm getting ready to start a lawn business and I'm looking for some equipment advice. Right now I'm looking at buying the Scag Freedom Z 48 for my main mower, however, after doing some research I'm more confused than ever! Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'll be cutting in the Charleston SC area. This will be a second job and will be cutting 3 to 4 days a week if that helps any. Thanks for any advice.

ralph02813
11-29-2011, 06:38 AM
what size are the lots you will be cutting, what is your goal for number of yards, what else will you be doing besides cutting grass. What does your biz plan look like will this be afull time gig 1, 2 or 3 years from now.

32vld
11-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Why do you want a Z and why do you want a 48"?

Aggressive Services
11-29-2011, 11:59 AM
MC 20hp Walker 42" cut

RGM
11-29-2011, 12:06 PM
It depends on the lawn sizes you want to do I started with a 48" snapper walkbehind bought a second the next year an ran with them and a helper for my first 4 years.

Aggressive Services
11-29-2011, 06:21 PM
I did use and still keep on hand Toro 37" mulch and 52" side discharge mid size walk behinds for years w/21"Snappers...but nothing on the market does the job better than Walker mowers...
If you are just starting out part time like I did...all you need is a small 5x10 and a snapper 21 with a small z/turn...1 line trimmer...edger...blower..and a hand hedge trimmer...well anyway that was me doing it part time and working a fulltime job...now I am retired with about 50 year round accounts and still work alone...50 is about all the work one man can handle and have a life...the to start up is take any work you can get then weed out bad accounts with ones that pay once a month the same price year round...I now price my accounts monthly year round or I pass them up...

Darryl G
11-29-2011, 06:29 PM
I would recommend starting with a walk behind mower instead of a Z rider. More versatile, cheaper and you'll probably need one for slopes anyway. If you do get a Z rider, get a commercial mower as near to one as you can.