PDA

View Full Version : Preference for Landscape Edging

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
11-29-2011, 04:22 AM
What do you think looks the best when it comes to edging landscapes around a home?
Do you prefer a stone/rock edging, black hard plastic edging(the pre made edging that is held down with plastic spikes), brick edging, poured cement edging, edging done with pavers, edging done by a spade(clean cut, grass edge to mulch, rock, etc.), or no defined edge line at all LOL?
Does the kind of material you are putting in the landscape change what edging you use? Such as; mulch, lava rock, river rock, ground cover, dirt, etc.?

I am getting more interested in the landscaping aspect of this business and was curious as to what you all use and think looks the most professional! I have done new lanscape beds and used a few different edging and materials based on customer preference, but I would like to hear the best that there is out there!

Thanks!
Zak

ralph02813
11-29-2011, 07:26 AM
I like the look of the steel edge, which is generally .25 thick and 3-4 inches wide, it comes in 8 foot lengths, it is expensive, but done right it is invisible and looks like a fresh cut edge, done wrong it looks like the cheap plastic edge only thinner. A little wonder bed cutter is on my wish list.

32vld
11-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Pour concrete? No way to labor intensive, will eventually crack, then look bad.

Shovel leaves an edge easy to keep looking good with a trimmer.

Materials I would use cobble stone, any type brick. They look nice easy to fit tight, and trim lawn.

Plastic looks cheap, cracks easy, potential to get damaged by line trimmer.

Rocks provide gaps for weeds to fill in, uneven spacing makes triming a pain.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
11-29-2011, 11:50 PM
i forgot about the metal edging. a customer has that and i think it looks nice and really holds her rock in the landscape beds nicely

ralph02813
11-30-2011, 06:53 AM
i forgot about the metal edging. a customer has that and i think it looks nice and really holds her rock in the landscape beds nicely

I have never installed it, but I think you need a torch to help in bend - also you have to watch the ending edge if it ends up higher than say a walkway or driveway, bring you grinder to grind off the edge - its a toe killer down right dangerous for little kids and the elderly.

TAPPER
11-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Bed edger machine. I bought one and it is the best investment. 3-4" deep and can do the job 20x faster then a guy with a spade. I recommend it for anyone who does mulching.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
11-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Bed edger machine. I bought one and it is the best investment. 3-4" deep and can do the job 20x faster then a guy with a spade. I recommend it for anyone who does mulching.

I have used bed edgers before but I have always rented them because I could'nt justify the cost of one since I am not huge in the landscape scene yet. Would you also use a bed edger for using river rock in a landscape or just mulch?

lawnpro724
11-30-2011, 03:24 PM
It really depends on your customers budget we use retaining wall block and brick edging the most around borders and a few with plastic edging. Block or brick edging looks the best but it does cost more and is much more labor intensive if its done right. Plastic edging will look good and hold up well if its a good commercial grade edging and its much cheaper to install since it take less time and isn't expensive. Natural stone is the most expensive of all but gives the best look of all.

MOW ED
11-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Metal edging is the most durable and looks the best in my opinion. It keeps its shape and won't get beat up like the plastic. Concrete is OK if you don't have frost heave. I am in Wisconsin, we have frost heave. You are also kind of permanently attatched to the shape once you pour concrete. I have also cracked concrete by putting a Z up on it. I have used fiberglass however it can be cracked if you don't do it right and it is pricey. Its the best mid range option in my opinion for price and appearance.

drenchedlawn
11-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I have only used metal edging this year but like the end result quite a bit every time.

TAPPER
11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Yes you can use the bed edger for river stone. I think the bed edger is a great investment. I picked mine up used for a quarter of a new one and it was only a year old.

acclaim3
02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Spikes
I have a one time deal on 12" spikes smooth.
$25/ 50 lbs box, 48 boxes per pallet.
8 pallets. Sold by pallet only. FOB Minneapolis, MN.
Spikes have some rust from condensation during shipping.
email me for pictures and delivered price.
keith@acclaimmetals.com
610-941-6000

headz77
03-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Metal edging here. We buy it in 20' lengths. It bends very easily and as long as you don't force it to bend too far it makes fantastic curves.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnMan19
03-01-2012, 02:47 AM
"Stone/rock edging", or a spaded "clean cut, grass edge to mulch, rock, etc." I like these the best.

chrisvinky
03-19-2012, 02:31 AM
Most of my mulch beds, I used to just use a bed edger and leave a natural edge. I found out though that most customers won't pay to come back out every year to redefine the edges.
I usually use metal edging with rock mulch but this year I am going with aluminum edging. I'm placing an order for 400 feet with curv-rite tomorrow. It goes together without stakes and will hold up better than metal. It also has tapered edges you can buy so no more grinder. the pieces actually telescope together so you can work it out where you don't have to cut any. I am starting to put this in my mulch beds as well as rock beds just because it keeps the shape of the bed intact.

cgaengineer
03-19-2012, 04:51 AM
Subscribed
Posted via Mobile Device