PDA

View Full Version : fixing a rust whole in dump

vaacutabove
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Im looking at a 03 3500 with a dump bed but it has some rust holes would it be a bad idea to put a sheet of 3/8 steel over the whole bed and weld and paint. The frame is good no rust trying to prevent the cost of a new bed. Goodd idea or bad idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
11-29-2011, 02:27 PM
I have sheeted many dump's over the years ,mostly with steel the same thickness as was originally on the bed ,and its often not required to sheet the whole thing ,just a patch works fine but that depends on the damage .Adding more metal than required ,will quite possibly give you payload issues at the scale so you dont want to add too much weight .

vaacutabove
11-29-2011, 02:40 PM
What thickness did you use
Posted via Mobile Device

SimonCX
11-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Cut out the rust areas and weld in patches, personally I wouldn't just put a sheet on the bed because like the other person said it will eat into your payload.

vaacutabove
11-29-2011, 04:45 PM
It looks like something was wrong with the paint or metal it is bubbled up on almost all of the bed so i think i would be scared to patch there are three holes
Posted via Mobile Device

LindblomRJ
11-29-2011, 07:21 PM
If there are multiple rust spots, have the bed bead blasted and figure out what is going on. If it is a big area you'd be best to remove the areas and then replace with a sheet. If there are spots then patch panels would be the best fix.

Darryl G
11-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Was the truck used for salting? Salt trucks corrode way fast and is the only reason I can think of that it would be that rusty. I would just repair the bad spots.