PDA

View Full Version : open or enclosed mowing trailer

WINTER 3
11-29-2011, 08:56 PM
I have always used open mowing trailers. I am thinking I will be switching to an enclosed trailer next year. For those of you using enclosed trailer why did you switch?

alexschultz1
11-29-2011, 09:40 PM
they are good for storage and advertising BUT THATS IT!!.

1- they drag down your fuel economy
2- you cant remove debris from peoples lawns like an open trailer.
3- getting to your equipment is harder.

minilawn
11-29-2011, 10:00 PM
alexschultz1

they are good for storage and advertising BUT THATS IT!!.

1- they drag down your fuel economy
2- you cant remove debris from peoples lawns like an open trailer.
3- getting to your equipment is harder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Couldn't agree more. One good thing to add to that list: Moving portajon.

I have owned both, and I know I need to haul massive loads of debris.

A well-equipped open gets my vote.

mad87man
11-29-2011, 10:27 PM
I was recently thinking of getting an enclosed too. The major reason was b/c my stuff wouldn't get wet since i don't have a garage i have to cover my stuff now.

beano
11-29-2011, 10:34 PM
I have both and couldnt disagree more. I love my enclosed.

1. I think it makes you look more professional. ( I know personal preference)
2. Storage
3. At the end of the day, no unloading, just lock it up and its just as you left it the night before.
4. Keeps your stuff and you out of the weather.
5. Rolling billboard.
6. When you go to lunch, just lock your trailer up and you dont have to worry about people taking things from it!

Cons
1. It is harder to get to your stuff in the front of the trailer when its full, but unless you have an open trailer with a front ramp, it doesnt make that much difference.
2. Harder to refuel at the gas station. 2 five gallon cans more than last me for the day though.
3. My truck sucks fuel anyway and seems to get the same when pulling a trailer no matter what size the trailer is so this arguement dosent work for me.

PLS-Tx
11-29-2011, 11:57 PM
I used a open for years and for the past 6 years I have been using an enclosed.

Would not want to go back to an open trailer!!!

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
11-30-2011, 01:49 PM
I use an open trlr
Posted via Mobile Device

RGM
11-30-2011, 01:57 PM
I have had both over the years but just open trailer now. I like how easy it is to lock up your equipment with the enclosed trailer for a quick secure lunch or parts stop. Winter and rainy day storage is great and even for that day when you just can't find a place to take a leak but you have to have a open trailer for cleanups and mulch can you have both.

SimonCX
11-30-2011, 02:34 PM
No way would I go back to using a open trailer, a major plus is having place to go to the bathroom if you really have to go and not using someones bushes. I never used my trailer for debris, smaller daily stuff goes in the truck and larger cleanups I have a big dump trailer.

WINTER 3
11-30-2011, 05:02 PM
thanks for the info. I had alot of repairs and Maintenance cost this year with pulll cords and other problems I would associate with alot of mowing in the rain. I also like the rolling billboard and storage reasons.

clc19chase
11-30-2011, 06:55 PM
enclosed trailers cut way down on the frequency of replacing pullcords and starter springs, no more rusty flywheel magnets or hedge trimmer blades, cracked seats arent an issue, hot, black seats arent an issue. faded plastic on hanheld equipment.

32vld
11-30-2011, 09:29 PM
No way would I go back to using a open trailer, a major plus is having place to go to the bathroom if you really have to go and not using someones bushes. I never used my trailer for debris, smaller daily stuff goes in the truck and larger cleanups I have a big dump trailer.

Many of those starting out can't aford two trailers.

The best setup is a combination of what one can aford and kind of work one does and equipment he owns.