PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Help

Rockwell Property Maint.
11-30-2011, 12:10 AM
What's up guys? First post here so go easy on me, lol. Quick history on me. I'm a solo who's been in business since 1998. I've been pretty comfortable financially since I started but I know I can't do this alone for the rest of my life. It's time to build it up to give my back a rest.

My business name has always been Rockwell Landscaping. Starting January 1, I'll be changing it to Rockwell Property Maintenance and I've already set up an LLC under that name. My plan is to focus strictly on maintenance and get away from install work. Also, I want to gear my advertising/marketing efforts towards commercial maintenance. And there is where my question comes into play. I'd like to get some strip malls, fast food franchises, gas stations, restaurants, small business buildings, etc. What is the best way to acquire these types of accounts? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chance Renstrom

Rockwell Property Maint.
11-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Anyone? Ideas? Suggestions?

GreenI.A.
11-30-2011, 09:31 PM
search tool will help you alot on this. But as far as geting into commercial properties, most strip malls usually have a sign somewhere saying "managed by xxxxxxx", Resteraunts/fast food places I would call during the day during a slow time and ask for the manager and see if they are responsible for property maintenance, if they don't make the decision ask for the number for the office responsible wheather its a reginal manager or someone in their corporate office. I would simply just ask them when they put the contract out to bid and ask for the information

Rockwell Property Maint.
12-01-2011, 10:17 AM
So basically cold calls huh? Has anybody done any advertising to land these types of accounts? If so, where? I wonder if there are industry magazines or newsletters for Property Management companies. Hmmm.

wbw
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
So basically cold calls huh? Has anybody done any advertising to land these types of accounts? If so, where? I wonder if there are industry magazines or newsletters for Property Management companies. Hmmm.

Personal relationships built from cold calling. Hmmm. It's not as glamorous as taking out an ad but it is what will get you customers.

thunderthud
12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Can I give from free advice from the other end?

My company owns and manages our properties. We hire no subcontractors except for inside pest control and crane services. These are common conversations, from my perspective only, that I have on a weekly basis. I return every call I get, so this takes me a bit of time in a week:

I'm happy you want my business, but I have none to give.

I'm not interested that you can do the same work I do for less money. I'm glad your employees are paid less than mine and will give me the same results; I'm not interested. I appreciate the call, but I am not interested. No, it isn't about your work or company, we do it in-house.

My boss is not interested in speaking with you about this opportunity; she pays me to speak with you. I am not a gatekeeper for her. If the CEO of a company says no, do you go to the individual shareholders to earn the business? No. If and, unlikely, when my boss hears about this, I am fairly certain I will continue to have a job, and you still will not be working for us.

I don't want to waste your time taking a meeting. You are not going to be working for me. Please accept the way we do things; it's worked for years for us.

Thank you for saying my properties look like crap. The landscaping was designed by a landscape architect and is meant to be easy to mow and maintain. I am not interested in your proposal to replace my landscaping. Thank you for saying I should fire all my employees and hire you because my properties look like crap. I understood how you felt about my properties at the beginning of the conversation.

That's great you want to plow my lot, but I'm all set, I have a crew for that. No, I do not have any subcontract work either. My guys handle it all. I appreciate the fact you have a family to feed, but the employees here also need to eat, they're my first priority. Thank you for that colorful description of what you intend to do to my anus.

I know you were mowing the property for the bank. But we own the property now and have for several weeks. Do you often continue to bill properties after the owner sells the property? I sent a letter canceling service certified mail the day of the closing asking you to discontinue service and to bill the bank for the balance owed as of this date. Also, I'm going to guess you didn't touch the property for a couple of weeks before the closing, I have dated photos I can send if you'd like. Also, the 'no trespassing' sign on the new 8 foot high fence around the property I put up an hour after the closing should be an indication to stay out. Seeing as we're speaking I guess you finally read the sign with out contact info on the fence? Where should I send the bill for the broken lock and fence?

It goes on like this. Please accept a 'no' gracefully and move on. My mother must have done something wrong with me because, damn, if I am not a bunch of four and five letter adjectives strung together.

Rockwell Property Maint.
12-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Damn Thunderthud, you have some annoying maintenance guys out your way, lol. No, I don't roll that way. I'm not very pushy at all. I'm sure a little push is needed to be a good salesman but, that, I am not. I let my work speak for itself. Word of mouth is how I've built my business to where it is today. But right now I'm mostly residential with a couple condominium complexes. Just trying to figure out how to get in the commercial side. Advice taken, thanks.

AlohaMowing
12-01-2011, 09:54 PM
I think your best shot to get commercial accounts may be to do an excellent job for residential accounts at the homes or neighbors of the people who own/manage the commercial properties. Sure, its not a quick nor sure way in to commercial accounts, and it would take some work on your part to identify the neighborhoods in which to market your services, but it would be a way to establish the professional relationships that can lead to greater opportunities.

And when it comes to marketing one's landscaping services I think the best return for the cost and effort is by magnetic signs on the side of your truck with a good, professionally designed logo. Vary the days you do your work, and try to be out working on Saturdays at least occasionally so people see you on the job and see your logo. Be sure your signs clearly inform people that you handle residential and commercial accounts. For professionally designed car door magnets and other graphic design work I think you cannot beat Judy of Portable Graffiti Graphics. Check out http://www.zibbet.com/PortableGraffitiGraphics/artwork?artworkId=624199.