PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Plant Information

greenchoppers
11-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Hello,

We are getting more calls for landscape maintenance. I am looking for a website, book, or other publication that I can go to and get information on landscape plants. Information I am looking for is when and how much to prune, how much sun light needed, how tall/wide plant will get, etc.

I was thinking of assembling information for all plants in a clients landscape. That way every time we go that particular customers house, there is no question as to which plants need to be pruned at each time of year.

Any thoughts?

Florida Gardener
11-30-2011, 04:14 PM
What zone you in?
Posted via Mobile Device

greenchoppers
11-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Zone???

I am in Southeast Louisiana if that is what you mean.

agrostis
11-30-2011, 05:25 PM
In SE Louisiana it is either zone 8b or 9a. This is what he is talking about -

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/

Michael Dirr's plants for warm climates is a good book. It would have all that info except for the pruning part.

greenchoppers
11-30-2011, 05:53 PM
In SE Louisiana it is either zone 8b or 9a. This is what he is talking about -

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/

Michael Dirr's plants for warm climates is a good book. It would have all that info except for the pruning part.

In that case we are in zone 9A.

Smallaxe
11-30-2011, 07:52 PM
The best way to gain information about landscaping is through local nurseies... See what a plant is doing in its Prime... research the Perfect environment for it to thrive and estimate the care and time involved in keeping it a valuable part of the landscape...

Hands on involvement and talking with 'nonprofessionals' and their experiences, their disappointments and their cheers will give you more info than anyone can get from a book...

My biggest issue in maintaining landscapes that were put together by people who planted by the book is the fact that unforeseen problems occured that the book couldn't really relate to. This happens becuz book writers do their research from other books... I'd rather spend 2 hours at a good nursery per week than 3 hrs at an institution per week...

Something to consider... :)

LawnsharkMB
12-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Landscape Plants of the Southeast. I used this book in school. Has 400+ trees, shrubs, and ground covers and every piece of info you need.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ticolawnllc
12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Find the biggst nursery and they will send you a catalog with just about every thing you could need. From there I would get in touch with your local state park and request a book on native tree and or shrubs. After that amazon.com and look for taylor guides on plants. Look up your Climet ZONE (this refers to how cold your winters get and rain fall ) and get a book that fits your needs. Your local community colage or state universtity have agriculture devision that offer continuing pro classes.

Stick with maintenace. Develop you plant base. Maintenace and instal are worlds apart.

Good luck.

Don't rag on me for my speling. If I had good speling I wouldn't be a landscaper.

andyslawncare
12-12-2011, 11:19 PM
I studied this stuff in college. UGA has a good handbook for the Georgia certified landscape professional test. You can order it directly from UGA--look it up. Its affordable, and a good referance and should be standards for the green industry folks to know. I hate how cities can just give licenses away to whoever pays them! Pruning comes down to a science, and you should be aware of it. Botany for Gardners ISBN 978-088192-655-2 or isbn 9780881926552 is a good book to be familiar with also.

Learn things, you'll be surprised in the difference that your business will reap from education. It is imperative.