PDA

View Full Version : whats in those leaves?

Jimslawncareservice
11-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Every fricking time I get in leaf dust I get a real bad cough. When I unload the trailer I cough so bad I puke at times. Those masks just don't cut it either. I have a respirator mask, but on warm days I sweat so bad I almost pass out. This year was worse than ever. Early freeze, and being so dang dry.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowyo
11-30-2011, 11:50 PM
I've been holding my breath until the wind's in my favor . Ought to be a heck of a swimmer when this is over .

my leaf pickups are about done and then all will be good...

You may be allergic to leaf dust sounds like way more than normal suffering .

ncknaklawns
11-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Had same issue this year. Its like I've had pneumonia for the last month. My cousin said were all going to die from green lung, the outdoorsman's asbestos.

Darryl G
12-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Skip those cheap dust masks with the single strap, they don't fit well, fog your glasses and plain don't work. Get yourself some double strap 3M 8511 masks. They're technically classified as a respirator. They have an exhalation valve, 2 straps and a nose clip that closes it tightly against your nose. http://www.amazon.com/3M-8511-Particulate-Sanding-Respirator/dp/B0002YKBV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322715467&sr=8-1

JDiepstra
12-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Im sure you guys have issues besides leaves. Smokers? Chewers? What else? I have no issues and I mulch all my leaves. But I don't have any nasty habits either.

Jimslawncareservice
12-01-2011, 05:40 AM
No smoker or chewer here. Other years I would cough here and there, but this year is just horrible. The ones I did yesterday I used my 950 mod deck since all my baggers are put away because I was done and getting ready for snow. I also was cleaning up mower too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
12-01-2011, 05:43 AM
I forgot to mention that I had a guy helping me who smoked. I thought his lungs were going to come out. He puked about every hour. When on the mower the dust doesn't bother me too bad, but of I het around the dust after the leaves have been chopped up or handled once, its bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnguyland
12-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Ditto on the good dust masks- well worth it. I use moldex 2300n it also has ex. valve and a carbon filter layer- works really well- no black boogers!

About 4$ each, but again, wellllll worth it.

lawnguyland
12-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Also consider this....if there are pesticides or fertilizer on a lawn while mowing, or in the grass leaf tissue even, when it gets ground up and aerosoled into the air you breathe that can't be good either. Try to wear a mask any time it's dusty. Leaves have mold on them and possibly pesticides in them. better safe than puking!

ralph02813
12-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Also consider this....if there are pesticides or fertilizer on a lawn while mowing, or in the grass leaf tissue even, when it gets ground up and aerosoled into the air you breathe that can't be good either. Try to wear a mask any time it's dusty. Leaves have mold on them and possibly pesticides in them. better safe than puking!

I developed a bad habit this year, one that I gave up as soon as I realized what I was doing to myself, I was using a hand fertilizer spreader to get into small places such as a small side yard or in a couple of cases real small properties - I began to realize that the fertilser was getting to me - so two considerations.

Depending on when the leaves fell and what kind they are and how much fertilzier you had on the ground just before athat - or how much pesticide someone put in the air column, another thought, again based on leaf type was there mold around - weird that the smoker was affected, because heavy smokers have some protection in that a greater portion of there lung capacity is closed and there fore protect. I say this cause locally we have had some guys get killed by jumping in a dirty fish hold where clorine gases built up, the only servivor so far was a guy that smoked a lot.

RedSox4Life
12-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Buy a mesh tarp with smaller holes? My old tarp spit out tons of dust, my new one barely any.

Ijustwantausername
12-01-2011, 08:03 AM
I just sneeze like crazy, but that's normal. But yeah their is mold and a zillion other things in leaves. Gosh if I almost puked doing leaves, I would find something else to do.

Jimslawncareservice
12-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I just sneeze like crazy, but that's normal. But yeah their is mold and a zillion other things in leaves. Gosh if I almost puked doing leaves, I would find something else to do.

I though about quitting them. I have a one ton dump now for next season so that should help. I am going to have to change the way I do things.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
12-01-2011, 09:07 AM
This year the dust was so bad that I would dust up 2 blocks on postage stamp lawns. If the wind was over 10mph you could see it 5 blocks down the the street. This is just from the mower, as I didn't use the leaf loader this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
12-01-2011, 10:15 AM
To answer the original question...what's in the leaves that's causing irritation is probably leaf mold, which is a type of fungi. As with any allergen, different people are going to respond differently and it will be more prevalent in certain locations and vary season to season depending on weather. The best method of preventing a response from being exposed to something that doesn't agree with your body is to reduce or remove the exposure. Beyond trying to keep dust levels down and/or wearing a mask, I'd recommend that you get out of your work clothes and shower as soon as you get home. I will often take off my outer shirt and shake it off before going into the house. You can also have one of your co-workers give you a quick blow.....with the leaf blower of course, lol.

Jimslawncareservice
12-01-2011, 11:06 AM
After each job, solo or not we get blown off with the blower. I live a half mile off the road with no neighbours so I take most of my stuff of outside so I don't irritate the wife or kids with the dust. Shower like crazy and blow black snot for about an hour then I'm fine til the next day. I thought about mounting a sprayer to front of the mower to dampen the leaves, but then that's another thing to keep going and watch out for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Oh and another thing with the fertilizer. I wonder how many pounds I sucked up? A lot of properties had dry on them, and with no rain it never got melted and absorbed in the soil. A local company did use liquid on a bunch for winter which helped.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
12-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I had one job that was sprayed earlier that morning and was labeled pesticide by the marker... don't know what they sprayed but it was 60% on the leaves...
Anyways it seemed to be dry and I needed to get that lawn done, so I proceeded with a blower to round up the leaves, not to dusty but enough to become airborne and in my eyes which was an abnormal burning sensation, so I made sure that I was never in the cloud again.

32vld
12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I had one job that was sprayed earlier that morning and was labeled pesticide by the marker... don't know what they sprayed but it was 60% on the leaves...
Anyways it seemed to be dry and I needed to get that lawn done, so I proceeded with a blower to round up the leaves, not to dusty but enough to become airborne and in my eyes which was an abnormal burning sensation, so I made sure that I was never in the cloud again.

You see a sign that says poison (pesticide is a fancy word for poison) and you go clean up the leaves?

Unbelievable. I'd tell customer you knew I was coming and you had poison put down on the same day. Sorry I can't touch this lawn till the spring. You can inhale and ingest the poison. Or have the guy that put the poison down pick up leaves.

djagusch
12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Skip those cheap dust masks with the single strap, they don't fit well, fog your glasses and plain don't work. Get yourself some double strap 3M 8511 masks. They're technically classified as a respirator. They have an exhalation valve, 2 straps and a nose clip that closes it tightly against your nose. http://www.amazon.com/3M-8511-Particulate-Sanding-Respirator/dp/B0002YKBV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322715467&sr=8-1

I second this, no issues since I started using these.

Smallaxe
12-01-2011, 08:26 PM
You see a sign that says poison (pesticide is a fancy word for poison) and you go clean up the leaves?

Unbelievable. I'd tell customer you knew I was coming and you had poison put down on the same day. Sorry I can't touch this lawn till the spring. You can inhale and ingest the poison. Or have the guy that put the poison down pick up leaves.

:laugh: You think waiting till after sundown would have made a difference? :laugh: