PDA

View Full Version : Redmax EBZ8500 follow up/review

jwsland
12-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Original post http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=363005

So I've been using the Redmax 8500EBZ for leaf cleanups throughout the fall this season. My choice of big backpack blowers is Redmax and I've owned them for years. I bought the 8500 and it has awesome power! I've been very happy and its increased productivity when doing leaf cleanups compared to the fleet of 7000's and 7001's. It feels like you could blow a brick down the sidewalk with it.

Well today it blew up. Started smoking and shut off. We let it cool down and tried to start it back up, no compression. I called my dealer and they told me to bring it right over and they will get on it asap. Well they checked it out and discovered a big hole on the top of the piston.

They informed me that Redmax had just sent them a letter about the 8500's and a recall on them. The carb jet is too small and they are running very lean, the air intake space around the fan is also too small for it and just a few leaves getting stuck to the outside are causing it to overheat quickly as well. They said I was the first person to bring one back so far, lucky me!

No worries, they got me a new one and they said once Redmax firgures out thier solution it will be fixed under warranty. The dealer handled it very well and there wasn't much downtime because of it. I can't be too upset with Redmax either because I understand they have to meet current emmisions regulations, hence the small carb jet. I havent recieved anything from Redmax about this yet. I'm curious to see how they are going to fix the airflow issue around the backrest and engine housing.

ralph02813
12-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the update! Keep us posted if you can.

ryan alyssa
12-04-2011, 09:15 AM
I love my redmax trimmers but have never had one with out Carb problems

Darryl G
12-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Bummer. You're the third person on here that I'm aware of that has blown one of these units up. I have the Husqvarna version and I am a bit concerned but the power is incredible and they seem to be owing up to the problem. I guess I'll keep running it as much as possible so that it blows up under warranty, lol.

GravelyGuy
12-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Sounds like they are running terribly lean, no wonder it had so much power!
Posted via Mobile Device

SDLandscapes VT
12-04-2011, 02:40 PM
recently they have pretty much taken out all adjustments including dealer adjustments to richen them up...............

JNyz
12-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Thread started over a week ago.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=365455&highlight=redmax

grasscutter24
12-04-2011, 09:23 PM
I just bought the same blower three weeks ago and just started smoking today.

Darryl G
12-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I just bought the same blower three weeks ago and just started smoking today.

You should quit before you get hooked...filthy habit!

DuallyVette
12-04-2011, 09:54 PM
My 8500 is still running fine, and it's a beast !!!

KPZ Enterprises
12-14-2011, 06:10 PM
haha go figure, i bought one and four tanks of gas latter the dam thing wasnt workn, sent it back and waiting for the new unit from redmax. lets all hope they have the problem fixed, havnt had any other probloms with blowers/trimmers from them tho...

Darryl G
12-14-2011, 08:52 PM
I was out with my Husky 580 today running it hard pushing some leaves back to a compost pile and started smelling some nasty smelling smoke, and then my eyes started burning. I'm thinking...man, not now, I gotta finish this cleanup...I've got a huge pile of heavy wet leaves, it's getting dark and I'm gonna be working by street light as it is. Then I noticed the black smoke billowing out....of the chimney for the house next door, lol.

As a side note: I hadn't run my Shindaiwa EB630 all fall but did today because I was doing some detail work where brute force wasn't really necessary. Then I fired up the Husky to do the heavy blowing. There is a HUGE difference between the 2 units...I used to think my Shin was powerful...now it seems like a total wimp.

khopper
12-15-2011, 08:59 PM
have two of the 8500 had them for a month they work really well you just have to make sure you keep the cage clean of leaves also we run plus gas in ours seems to help all the two cycle equipment

z71tiger
12-18-2011, 06:32 PM
i bought a 8500 last friday and saturday it was stolen...... wish i had it long enough to blow it up.....

Darryl G
12-18-2011, 09:57 PM
I chain my 580 to the bed of my truck any time my eyes are on it. That totally sucks that you lost it at all, but loosing it so quickly sucks double.

ralph02813
12-19-2011, 04:27 AM
I upgraded and put everything on kryptonite cables heavy master locks!

Darryl G
12-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Oops...I meant whenever my eyes aren't on it.

z71tiger
12-20-2011, 10:03 PM
I guess the only good thing was they left the old echo 750 that was sitting beside it so I could finish my day
Posted via Mobile Device