PDA

View Full Version : Office Fee (or similar)

KS_Grasscutter
12-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Does anyone charge their customers for the costs you incur, to charge them money? A box of envelopes is $65. A book of stamps is like $8. Then there is the time spent entering data into quickbooks, printing everything, and then stuffing into envelopes and driving to the post office to mail them. I am thinking about adding a small fee (like $1.50 or so?) to each invoice next season.

I will obviously have to include in my spring letter that the additional charge will appear so it won't catch them off guard, but I am guessing it still won't go over real good.

Or do you just look at it as part of your overhead you need to think about when you bid a lawn?

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-04-2011, 01:10 AM
I think everyone has a cost of doing business which is just incorporated into your companies labor/hourly charge

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-04-2011, 01:13 AM
For example you don't go into an auto shop to get lets say a water pump replaced for $300 and have a final bill of $302 for a $2 additional charge for printing your paperwork and such

CS-LAWNSERVICE
12-04-2011, 08:14 AM
For example you don't go into an auto shop to get lets say a water pump replaced for $300 and have a final bill of $302 for a $2 additional charge for printing your paperwork and such

i have actually had invoices that had a 5 percent charge for shop supplies when i had work done on vehicles

Patriot Services
12-04-2011, 08:20 AM
If you start nickel and diming customers their satisfaction will quickly go sour. People are fed up with utility bills you need a lawyer to decipher.
Posted via Mobile Device

AintNoFun
12-04-2011, 08:29 AM
guess someone doesn't bid there jobs with overhead in the cost?

id laugh if i got an invoice that charged me for stamps, envelopes, etc

DanaMac
12-04-2011, 08:55 AM
As others said, you need to incorporate those costs into what you charge. That is part of your overhead and it's a necessary cost in running a business. I would be pissed if I got an invoice from a lawn company or any company that had additional fees for office supplies, transmission replacement, new equipment. What if your insurance and gas and rent change? Do you add an additional fee to each invoice?

Figure it into your pricing when you bid a job. Raise the rate when the contract expires, but don't add it on during a valid contract.

Darryl G
12-04-2011, 09:41 AM
I agree, that's part of overhead. That's a lot of the reason why I have minimums. Now if you wanted to charge a one-time account setup fee or something like that I could understand.

Woody82986
12-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Figure it in to your normal pricing if you haven't already. Personally, I email as many invoices as possible to cut down on office time and expense. If you are really worried about that time and expense then you should look into online alternatives. Just my opinion. Email is also much quicker than postal mail.

KS_Grasscutter
12-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I guess I could just do a price increase on everyone. Been a couple years since most have been raised. Been hesitant because of the economy and whatnot, but I think it's gotta be done.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah you'd get more cooperation for a contract adjustment and $5/month price increase vs. Being specific and adding supplies/stamps/etc. To each invoice
Posted via Mobile Device

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Oh and be a salesman about it, word it convincingly, and state your cost of doing business properly has gone up amd therefore their bill will be going up $5/$10 /month or what have you...
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
12-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I guess I could just do a price increase on everyone. Been a couple years since most have been raised. Been hesitant because of the economy and whatnot, but I think it's gotta be done.

I think that's the better way to go. In general, the more specific you get about your pricing the more you give them to argue about.

HBFOXJr
12-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Oh and be a salesman about it, word it convincingly, and state your cost of doing business properly has gone up amd therefore their bill will be going up $5/$10 /month or what have you...
Posted via Mobile Device

Just do it and don't talk about it. No one else explains price changes in this world. It's business, it's expected, it happens.

PROCUT1
12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
If a sheet of paper, a stamp, and an envelope, are breaking your budget. You got much bigger problems.

FLC2000
12-05-2011, 01:12 PM
All these things have to be incorporated into your pricing. Same as gas, maintenance, products and everything else.

Someone mentioned utilities earlier. Im so tired of opening a power or gas bill and seeing 15 different taxes on there. I dont need a breakdown because it just pisses me off.