PDA

View Full Version : New to Bermuda grass.

gulfjoe
12-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Ok this is what i have got going on. I am moving in to my new home Dec 30th this year. They are laying my new Tif419 bermuda grass sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. I live in Columbus GA now. My questions are...

1. What care should I have to do for a freshly sodded lawn in DEC?

2. When/What kind of fertilizer should I use? I am new to the area so i am familiar with the lowes and home depot but i think I have spotted some nurseries.

3. I am come from a Fescue Lawn, So How does Bermuda over seeding work? and what type of seed do I use.

I will probably have lots more question over the next several seasons so i hope you guys help me out. You were life savers on my last lawn project.

Thanks
Gulfjoe

agrostis
12-04-2011, 07:32 PM
1 - Make sure that the seam's on the sod are tight.

2- Make sure that the soil underneath the sod doesn't dry out starting in March. In Ga. you shoudn't have any any problem's with greenup.

3- Don't fertilize dormant grass ever. That sod got plenty of fertilizer at the sod farm. Let it green up completely before you start thinking about fertilizer. But once it get's established 419 is a heavy feeder. Think about 1 Lb. of N a month in the growing season.

4- Overseeding for a home lawn is usually done with ryegrass. It's hard on the bermuda and spring transition can be ugly. I don't recommend overseeding but some people want that color.

gulfjoe
01-20-2012, 05:21 PM
I am noticing weeds come up in random spots throughout the entire yard. I have noticed in people yards that were laid down before mine are alot worse. Here are some pics of the weeds. what should I do to get rid of them and what should i do to keep them from coming back.

agrostis
01-20-2012, 06:49 PM
That's poa annua - annual bluegrass. A cool season plant. Don't try to eradicate that this winter with new grass. The heat will take it out. It is more important to let that sod get established first. That is a very common weed. It grow's everywhere. Million's of dollar's are spent every year to combat poa. One mature plant can produce a thousand seed's a year. Next September plan on a pre-emergent to keep that and other winter weed's suppressed. Put down pre-emergent before the seed's germinate. This is totally dependent on soil temperature. Get yourself a soil thermometer. It will help your timing a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Chaney-Soil-Thermometer/dp/B000FDBBG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327102313&sr=8-2

You can also get weather data online from the state. But it is not as accurate as taking the temperature yourself. Your local agriculture agent can tell you the best product to use for your area.

knox gsl
01-20-2012, 07:48 PM
While it is green and the sod is still somewhat new pull as much of the POA out as you can. Lots of work but the best control for now.
Posted via Mobile Device

superintendent
01-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Late feb spray round-up on your yard. No I'm not kidding. It won't hurt the bermuda.

lawnrx
01-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Please don't use round-up. Just let the grass root in and green up this spring. I know that round-up is safe most of the time in Feb but its a warm winter this year and you could still do a little damage. you can other products in last May to kill poa.

gulfjoe
01-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Im spending today and tomorrow pulling it all up. It sure does root deep, long stringy roots.

knox gsl
01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Im spending today and tomorrow pulling it all up. It sure does root deep, long stringy roots.
Good deal, remember no chemicals or fertilizer till green up.
Posted via Mobile Device

superintendent
01-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Your wasting your time pulling it. Round-up will not hurt the bermuda even with a warmer winter. It will just delay it from greening up which sometimes is better due to bermuda coming out and then a killer frost bites it in the ass. It' better to delay it then to have a killer frost hit it. Yes there is other chemicals that can be use but it's expensive.

gulfjoe
01-21-2012, 06:23 PM
I got about 1/3 of the yard pulled up today. it is spaced out very spraticticaly. if I Just hit the little spots with minimal round up what would the adverse affects be. My fingers and hands are very sore from all the pulling today.

gulfjoe
01-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Here are the results of my soil test. What is a good plan of attack with these results?

Patriot Services
02-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Your micros are fine. iron always helps with Bermuda greening. That Ph has me concerned. Was your sample from the soil your sod came with, the underlying soil or a combination. Your going to need a significant amount of lime but i would do it over several apps 30 days apart. Spot spray the Poa with RU. I am doing my first N app on my lawn on Mar 1st. We are averaging 70 degree temps still and mine never went completely dormant. Once it takes off it is pretty good at self regulating the weeds. Cut frequently 2-3 times a week at no more than 1". It will come in thick and the weeds don't like the constant mowing.:usflag: