PDA

View Full Version : Southern LCO's doing Snow???

GreenGuysLC
12-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Are there any Southern LCO's doing Snow Contracts? I am in North Alabama and need some insight to bidding and equipment needs.. We are talking about a large retail parking lot. I am planning to use a tractor with blade, skid steer, and possibly find a cheap blade for f-350.

lawnpropm
12-30-2011, 01:48 AM
Check on plowsite.com
Posted via Mobile Device

ffemt1271
01-08-2012, 07:06 PM
It's 65 degrees here now, was 72 this evening. No snow, i'm still mowing grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

HartselleLawnEnforcement
01-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Someone around here is worried about snow? I don't know anything about snow, but it really surprises me that a store is considering snow management around here!

GreenGuysLC
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Lol hey there Hartselle! Well as you know last season we would have pushed over 3ft of it. Yeah it is larger commercial store fronts that want bids in place for automatic service in the event we do have snow. I am gonna fall back on using a tractor loader and prob a rental bobcat.

lawnpropm
01-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Lol hey there Hartselle! Well as you know last season we would have pushed over 3ft of it. Yeah it is larger commercial store fronts that want bids in place for automatic service in the event we do have snow. I am gonna fall back on using a tractor loader and prob a rental bobcat.

Just a heads up you might want to speak with a dealer or equipment rental joint before planning on renting one! You know people rent cats like crazy during inclement weather!
Posted via Mobile Device

txgrassguy
01-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Two questions for you.
1. Have you ever pushed snow before plus have the insurance for it?
2. What type of tractor do you plan upon using?

Mounting a plow on a Ford chassis without suspension stiffening is a sure fire way to fry the control arm bushings and steering stabilizer. Not to mention making the mistake of pushing while in drive verse low gear if the truck has an automatic transmission.

Pushing snow with anything other than a 4X4 tractor is a waste of time. For short term, limited use, get a rear three pointed blade that can be reversed and push off of the rear of the tractor. Once you get around light poles, curbs and drains use the bucket to pile verse shoving the snow. Depending upon the tractor set-up you will have to weld weight plates on the rear plow in order to keep the blade in contact with the asphalt instead of floating above the snow causing compaction/ice.

Also, check the contract very closely since some properties require the snow removal to include turf,curbing, ancillary damage repair as well - so you'll have to factor this in to the bid. Also you will require a decent blower for sidewalks and narrow spaces, especially handicapped parking which usually carries it's own requirements for space and clearance. Again, read the contract very closely as you may be required to place ice melt material which depending upon it's chemical make up beats the living crap out of the paint/metal on your tractor not to mention corrosion on the hydraulic fittings.

Way, way, way back when I pushed literally thousands of cubic yards of snow in Illinois and PA. Malls were the worst since they had numerous poles, drains, dumpster enclosures, handicapped parking spaces, islands, etc. All requiring specific areas eliminating spoil sites. A few of the malls I had to push well over four hundred feet to the spoil site.

Yes, I made good money but after a few years of 120hr workweeks coming off of an insane growing season is one of the reasons I stopped.