PDA

View Full Version : Can LED garland be repaired?

Classic Lighting
12-04-2011, 10:25 PM
It's prelit LED from Seasonal Source and this is the 2nd year in service. A 2ft section is very dim. Any thoughts regarding repairs? I don't think the customer will be happy if I tell them it's toast.

David Gretzmier
12-05-2011, 12:18 AM
it sounds like toast. many led strands have voltage regulators spread throughout the strand to endure the leds are getting the proper voltage. they are not replaceable. it sounds as though one of the regulators is broken. the best bet is to find a new light set that has similar color, pull out the old light set and put in new. This will take time, but not too much expense.

turf hokie
12-05-2011, 06:29 AM
David is right, the garland is done, it happens, we have had it happen straight out of the box.

Best bet is to restring it. It usually takes about 30 minutes to restring a full stick of garland with 100 lights.

Do you gurantee the material past the 1st year?

Good luck.

wurkn with amish
12-05-2011, 07:28 AM
since its already toast...... if you have a magic box, buzz it for a little bit. Sometimes it works and you can get a little more life from them.

turf hokie
12-05-2011, 02:42 PM
since its already toast...... if you have a magic box, buzz it for a little bit. Sometimes it works and you can get a little more life from them.

Funny you mention that, even tho I know the buzz box doesnt work on LED, I always hit it once or twice just to make sure its dead, never know if it might save a replacement by zapping it...

wurkn with amish
12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I actually have gotten some to work that way. But I use them at my place so it doesn't matter if they die during the season.

addictedtolandscaping
12-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I have used it to find dead bulbs in LED sets.

Classic Lighting
12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Best bet is to restring it. It usually takes about 30 minutes to restring a full stick of garland with 100 lights.

Do you gurantee the material past the 1st year?

Good luck.

Thanks guys for all your help.
I've never restrung a stick so now is a great time to learn.
I don't specifically offer a warranty on products. If something does break, I'll repair it without any hassle. In my sales pitch, I do tout the reliability and efficiency of LED so I'll willing to stand behind my word and strive to keep customers happy. Guess I'll absorb this one in the name of customer service.

Classic Lighting
12-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Anyone has a link for the Magic Box thingy?

addictedtolandscaping
12-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Just about any distributor will have them. Gonna cost you a coupler hundred bucks though

David Gretzmier
12-06-2011, 11:38 AM
they are sometimes called "light testing unit"

PlantscapeSolutions
12-17-2011, 01:13 AM
I think from what I had seen in the past the gap in prices between what some places in NE charge and other was substantial. Checking Lite Source and others will likely save you some coin.

ChristmasDesigners
12-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Back in the incandescent days we used the magic box on a daily basis. But now days with LEDs, we've had very little luck getting a set that is out working again. About 1 in 10 times it will work, but the set seems to go out within a few days after that. We've also noticed that when we surge the set it puts a lot of strain on the inline rectifier and sometimes will blow the rectifier out.

LEDs are great, but they are not nearly as servicable as incandescent lights. We've seen a noticable inprovement in LED quality over the last few years and those of us who asssit with supplying the industry have learned the hard way what factories to stay away from.

Your best bet is to make sure you are buying Pro or Commercial Grade garlands and lights which will minimize the outages, but even then there's always going to be a few sets that go out and it seems to happen on the most critical jobs just before a big event.