PDA

View Full Version : Early season Geese in Texas

txgrassguy
12-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Just got back from my first outing for Geese in thirty-four years.
Used to go with my father when we resided in Illinois back in the mid-late seventies. This year a shooting buddy suggested a trip and I was a bit hesitant at first - but now am hooked once again.
The pictures were taken December 3 and 4 in a somewhat dry rice field outside of Katy Texas.
Temps weren't bad, around 50*F for both days and I "missed" the front and 30*F temps for this week.
The first one is me all camo'd up and waiting for daylight, taken around 5:30am.
The second is of the guide's dog, "Jet", who we kept busy.
Got my limit both days but didn't know until after the first day all the birds are divided amongst the shooters present.
Ended up with a dozen dressed breasts ready for the kitchen.
Already planning the next trip plus I am researching calls for the Speckled and Snow Geese since it is different from the Canada Geese I am familiar.

Stuttering Stan
12-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Not bad. Canada geese are a nuisance here. All they do is crap and pull up grass by the roots. It's ashame we can't discharge a gun within city limits. Are those plastic bags attached to a stick?
Here's my game from 2 weeks ago.

txirrigation
12-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Used to go with my father when we resided in Illinois back in the mid-late seventies. This year a shooting buddy suggested a trip and I was a bit hesitant at first - but now am hooked once again.
The pictures were taken December 3 and 4 in a somewhat dry rice field outside of Katy Texas.
Temps weren't bad, around 50*F for both days and I "missed" the front and 30*F temps for this week.
The first one is me all camo'd up and waiting for daylight, taken around 5:30am.
Got my limit both days but didn't know until after the first day all the birds are divided amongst the shooters present.
Already planning the next trip plus I am researching calls for the Speckled and Snow Geese since it is different from the Canada Geese I am familiar.

Nice, when I get some time I will post up some of the pics from the first split of duck season. Why is this irrigation realated... bc it is what we do in the off seaon so we do not kill customers during the irrigation season. And we use pumps to flood fields.

txgrassguy
12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Yes, those are bags attached to sticks. Pretty cheesy and very old school way to decoy geese. Until I saw them and talked to a few of the other hunters present I never heard of them.
Dog made up for the decoys though.

bobw
12-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I've never thought about how you'd hunt a goose. Interesting that you use decoys.

Around here we just walk onto a golf course and smack them in the head with a 7 iron. :)

In all seriousness, working outside all the time, I've gotten pretty familiar with the southern migration schedule and volumes. Those of you on the receiving end of this year's crop are in for a good harvest! By far the most I've seen in years and they've managed to have a pretty good length of time for grazing in stubble fields before the flights.

DanaMac
12-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I went pheasant hunting in SW Colorado the day after Thanksgiving. Not a damn bird around. There is minimal if any coverage for them to hide in due to no rain there this summer. Nothing grew. Areas that we walked last year were up to our knees and higher. This year the same fields were maybe at our ankles at best. Pulled up to the fields, and we could see there were absolutely no birds there. Good day of walking around though.

AI Inc
12-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Nice Buck Stan!

txirrigation
12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Here is a whitetail I shot off our family ranch in W. Texas... he stares at me while I am working.

greenmonster304
12-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Do you guys use a pit or blind?
Posted via Mobile Device

greenmonster304
12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Not bad. Canada geese are a nuisance here. It's ashame we can't discharge a gun within city limits.

Use some CB rounds in your 22 and no one will ever know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
12-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I look at a roast goose and think it's going to taste like 'golf course'

txirrigation
12-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Best bud 6 months after TPLO surgury.

bcg
12-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I look at a roast goose and think it's going to taste like 'golf course'

Snow goose tastes like strong liver, nasty stuff.

Specs are great, we had one for Christmas one year when I had a place to hunt them. Never tried a Canada.

AI Inc
12-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Snow goose tastes like strong liver, nasty stuff.

Specs are great, we had one for Christmas one year when I had a place to hunt them. Never tried a Canada.

Throw an old work boot in a pot of water. Boil for 1 hr. Canada goose tastes almost as good.

txirrigation
12-05-2011, 05:44 PM
I boil the breasts of duck/geese without seasoning, and then cut them up in manageable sized chunks.... then..... dog food. They must love the taste of boiled work boot.

Sandhill Crane, Quail, Dove, and Turkey are the only wild birds I will eat. Ducks and Geese are for the dogs... they have to eat too.

Wet_Boots
12-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Geese must be a pain to raise, if they cost $3.00+ a pound at the supermarket. payup

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Throw an old work boot in a pot of water. Boil for 1 hr. Canada goose tastes almost as good.

You are cooking it wrong. Cut the meat into strips and sauté in olive oil with habanero peppers then put it in a tortilla. Same as with skunk and possum.
Posted via Mobile Device

txgrassguy
12-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Do you guys use a pit or blind?
Posted via Mobile Device

No pits since we are already at water level due to the field being a somewhat drained rice paddy. So we use reclining ground blinds. I was in a Final Approach Eliminator blind the second day - the first day I was lying on my back and covered with camo burlap. And yes I was very uncomfortable.

Regarding cooking the geese, from all I have read the best way is to marinade the goose breast for 24 hrs then prepare like any other bird.

I am going to try two recipes, both marinaded for 24hrs then one I am going to slow roast with baby dutch potatoes plus veggies all over a bed of brown rice in chicken broth.

The second I am going to fry in my turkey pot. I will bake bread stuffing with veggies with seasoning then put the stuffing in a cheese cloth bag and place in the breast cavity when the goose is immersed in the hot oil.

One of my girlfriends has a son that graduated from a chef academy and he has several interesting ideas how to prepare wild goose. He agreed to cook a meal for her and I since I let him borrow one of my trucks for a month when his car broke down.

I plan to try several different red wines. With one meal a nice drier Malbec and with the fried goose I will drink a slightly chilled Chianti.

All I eat is wild game now, haven't bought any eat in a store except bacon in over six years. Coupled with a decent diet and exercise I have lost almost fifty pounds plus my resting heart rate and cholesterol level is in the toilet.
Right now I am at 54 bpm resting heart rate and my cholesterol is right at 94.

Still drinking beer though and have no plans to alter that part of my diet any time soon.

DanaMac
12-06-2011, 10:53 AM
My brother loves cutting up some duck meat into finger food size pieces, wrap it in bacon, and cook on the grill. Oh so good.......
Don't think i have had goose. Prefer elk over venison.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Still drinking beer though and have no plans to alter that part of my diet any time soon.

Beer will put it on. I quit 2 months ago and switched to rum and oj. Had my physical yesterday and I'm finally back under 200lbs plus my BP was at 120/60. I may just give up beer forever unless its OP beer. I also discovered how much money I save by buying a gallon of rum vs micro brew beer. The rum will last me three weeks whereas I was buying a case a week of 15.00 beer.

Wet_Boots
12-06-2011, 11:24 AM
so, do you guys hang the game birds to age, as in the olden days?

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Flavor by rot. YUMMY

Wet_Boots
12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
works for steaks, bubba

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Didn't say it didn't Ernest

AI Inc
12-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Hang deer, not fowl. As others have mentioned , waterfowl is best served to homeless shelters.

Mike Leary
12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Up in the PNW, on the western side, most fowl eat seaweed. No wonder there are so many of them.

irrig8r
12-06-2011, 10:48 PM
You are cooking it wrong. Cut the meat into strips and sauté in olive oil with habanero peppers then put it in a tortilla. Same as with skunk and possum.
Posted via Mobile Device

Works best if you don't have a sense of smell though...

irrig8r
12-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Up in the PNW, on the western side, most fowl eat seaweed. No wonder there are so many of them.

That means that their crap must have a lot of trace minerals and might make good fertilizer... except for the salt.

greenmonster304
12-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Beer will put it on. I quit 2 months ago and switched to rum and oj. Had my physical yesterday and I'm finally back under 200lbs plus my BP was at 120/60. I may just give up beer forever unless its OP beer. I also discovered how much money I save by buying a gallon of rum vs micro brew beer. The rum will last me three weeks whereas I was buying a case a week of 15.00 beer.

I agree about the rum. I buy a Dominican rum called Brugal which is just as good as Mount Gay but 20% less $.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
12-07-2011, 10:43 AM

I used to think the same thing when I was in school, but when the half-gallon of whiskey every 2-3 weeks turned into a half-gallon every 6-8 days, I decided hard liquor is way too easy to abuse and I didn't particularly enjoy the idea of becoming a liver dead alcoholic.

Wet_Boots
12-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Gin and tonic is cheaper than rum and oj :dizzy:

Mike Leary
12-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I used to think the same thing when I was in school, but when the half-gallon of whiskey every 2-3 weeks turned into a half-gallon every 6-8 days, I decided hard liquor is way too easy to abuse and I didn't particularly enjoy the idea of becoming a liver dead alcoholic.

Ditto, I've had to modify my imbibing over the years, especially when I retired and found too much spare time on my hands. Though, now that I'm down here in the desert, I'm thinking about a fling with margaritas. :drinkup:

txgrassguy
12-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Ah, my beer drinking is maybe six to ten in a one week period.

Used to be a lot heavier but getting rid of the wife helped.

And I don't miss the foggy head from too much beer or the pain from stitches in my scalp from the ex whacking me with a Corona bottle.

Occasionally I will sip a good bourbon like Jim Beam Black, Makers Mark or Dickle but a fifth lasts four months or longer. Same with the Bombay Sapphire Gin used in the infrequent Martini.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I like to have a couple of stiff drinks every night while watching the O'Reilly Factor/ Pardon The Interruption/ and Jon Stewart. Since its mixed with OJ now it also serves as part of my daily fruit allowance.

Kiril
12-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Gin and tonic is cheaper than rum and oj :dizzy:

That is an old womans drink ...... oh wait ..... boots made that post. :laugh:

Wet_Boots
12-07-2011, 03:27 PM
quinine and juniper berries are major food groups :p

irritation
12-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I like to have a couple of stiff drinks every night while watching the O'Reilly Factor/ Pardon The Interruption/ and Jon Stewart. Since its mixed with OJ now it also serves as part of my daily fruit allowance.

:laugh: Those are some of the most obnoxious shows on TV, I would have to be passed out to sit through that crap.

AI Inc
12-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Ah, my beer drinking is maybe six to ten in a one week period.

Used to be a lot heavier but getting rid of the wife helped.

And I don't miss the foggy head from too much beer or the pain from stitches in my scalp from the ex whacking me with a Corona bottle.

Occasionally I will sip a good bourbon like Jim Beam Black, Makers Mark or Dickle but a fifth lasts four months or longer. Same with the Bombay Sapphire Gin used in the infrequent Martini.

Ever try 35 yr old Wild Turkey? Thats some sipping whiskey.

Mike Leary
12-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Ever try 35 yr old Wild Turkey? Thats some sipping whiskey.

Drank a ton of that in my prime, Austin Nichols makes the best bourbon in the world. "Gobble gobble".

irritation
12-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Never could sip whiskey, down the shot or drop it in a mug of beer and down that.

Wet_Boots
12-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Never could sip whiskey, down the shot or drop it in a mug of beer and down that.no "bourbon and branch water" as in the old James Bond story?

Mike Leary
12-07-2011, 05:25 PM
no "bourbon and branch water" as in the old James Bond story?

"Neat", no chaser.

Wet_Boots
12-07-2011, 05:31 PM
It is a sort of contradiction, to bottle it at a certain proof, then to dilute it. I still think 'neat' works best in a snifter, like with brandy

Mike Leary
12-07-2011, 05:40 PM
A shot glass and quality bourbon is the way to go, no sipping allowed, even though the ambrosia is excellent. "By the way, bartender, leave the bottle on the table".

Wet_Boots
12-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I like to enjoy a snifter of brandy, and reflect on how different and superior I am in comparison to spray-paint huffers :p

Mike Leary
12-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Let's talk about one of the few mind-bending spirits I've never had the pleasure of partaking. Anyone? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe A Canadian Army vet here at the camp told me the Czech make the killer version, now.

Wet_Boots
12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
I wonder if the California artisans will get into it. Green Chartreuse is about as close as I get to absinthe.

greenmonster304
12-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Rum on the rocks with a lime for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

irritation
12-07-2011, 08:25 PM
"Maybe if we all get thirsty we'll go to Delgado's and get some mezcal."

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2818/hombre5p.jpg

Mike Leary
12-07-2011, 08:31 PM
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2818/hombre5p.jpg

That looks like a meeting with a client gone horribly wrong.

DanaMac
12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
That looks like a meeting with a client gone horribly wrong.

Depends on how you look at it. To me, it looks like friendly negotiations over a cocktail, while enforcers hold off the lowball/hack/piker/scum. :laugh:

Mike Leary
12-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Depends on how you look at it. To me, it looks like friendly negotiations over a cocktail, while enforcers hold off the lowball/hack/piker/scum. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

irritation
12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
I thought it was a typical contractors meeting in the southwest.

Mike Leary
12-07-2011, 08:55 PM
It's always good to have help to avoid the REPS barging in, since there's no free tee-shirts or hats anymore.

Wet_Boots
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
no free hats?!! :eek:

irritation
12-07-2011, 09:20 PM
no free hats?!! :eek:

Hell no! Where have you been, you have to use your points to get hats/t-shirts anymore. :hammerhead:

Wet_Boots
12-07-2011, 11:11 PM
next thing you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus :cry:

irritation
12-07-2011, 11:31 PM
next thing you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus :cry:

No, there will always be a Santa Claus. My Daddy told me so.:)

http://giraffopia.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/drunk-santa.jpg

Kiril
12-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Let's talk about one of the few mind-bending spirits I've never had the pleasure of partaking. Anyone? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe A Canadian Army vet here at the camp told me the Czech make the killer version, now.

Not much pleasure, but guzzled my share of the mind bending 190 proof Everclear back in the 80's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_%28alcohol%29

Mike Leary
12-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Not much pleasure, but guzzled my share of the mind bending 190 proof Everclear back in the 80's.

I'd say! Geez, that stuff was like liquid LSD. :dizzy:

txgrassguy
12-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I actually used Everclear to clean a horribly fouled M-4 carbine while on a deployment one time. No bore solvent for miles so I resorted to the "medicinal" cache of the Everclear.
I had one metal canteen of Jim Beam Black but there was no way I was going to use that - helped my arthritis too much.
Lubed the weapon with motor oil taken from the dipstick on my Humvee.
Then back to putting rounds down range.
Quite fun actually.