PDA

View Full Version : Big leaf bag? Anyone ever try it?

smallstripesnc
12-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I have just about had it with leaf removal. I got a call from an old craigslist ad and the guy is on .25 of an acre and wanted his leaves removed. The catch was he only wanted "something for nothing". I told him I start at $45 and from the looks of it I would charge upwards of $120 or so. He about fell over dead when I told him that.

I said I'll do it for $45 (since its so late in the season and probably my last job until spring and I needed the cash). He didn't even want to pay $45 and talked me down to $40. I told him I would do it. Especially since he is about 4 minutes from my place. I know I got screwed but I needed the cash.

Now this is how I usually approach a leaf removal job.

STEP 1:
Blow all leaves from beds/edge of lawn and into piles. This part normally doesn't take too long.

STEP 2:
Then I use my hands to put them into trash bags. (TAKES FOREVER!)

STEP 3:
Go over property with my 22" Toro personal pace and bag the remains. (DOESNT TAKE LONG)

Well this method takes about 3 hours or so.

A guy that was doing leaf removal across the street stopped me and was asking me about how I do it and told me about this "big leaf bag" and told me about how much easier it made leaf removal showed me how well it worked. Its for small walk behind mowers (rear discharge or side discharge) and I'm considering it.

I know its late in the season now so it would be for next year but it seems like a really good option.

I plan on getting the new Toro timemaster 30 and this bag will work with that mower as well as my current one.

Any opinions on this?

The website is www.abletotech.com

grassmasterswilson
12-07-2011, 07:02 AM
seems like that bag would get heavy and you'd have to keep down force on the mower to keep the front wheels down. worth a try.

How comical was that video? They made dumping the mower bags and raking look like the most difficult job in the world!! This late in the season you'd be better off staying like you are. Check out uline.com for some huge garbage bags for holding leaves and dump as you go.

really all what you like.

ralph02813
12-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Hello everyone,

I have just about had it with leaf removal. I got a call from an old craigslist ad and the guy is on .25 of an acre and wanted his leaves removed. The catch was he only wanted "something for nothing". I told him I start at $45 and from the looks of it I would charge upwards of $120 or so. He about fell over dead when I told him that.

I said I'll do it for $45 (since its so late in the season and probably my last job until spring and I needed the cash). He didn't even want to pay $45 and talked me down to $40. I told him I would do it. Especially since he is about 4 minutes from my place. I know I got screwed but I needed the cash.

Now this is how I usually approach a leaf removal job.

STEP 1:
Blow all leaves from beds/edge of lawn and into piles. This part normally doesn't take too long.

STEP 2:
Then I use my hands to put them into trash bags. (TAKES FOREVER!)

STEP 3:
Go over property with my 22" Toro personal pace and bag the remains. (DOESNT TAKE LONG)

Well this method takes about 3 hours or so.

A guy that was doing leaf removal across the street stopped me and was asking me about how I do it and told me about this "big leaf bag" and told me about how much easier it made leaf removal showed me how well it worked. Its for small walk behind mowers (rear discharge or side discharge) and I'm considering it.

I know its late in the season now so it would be for next year but it seems like a really good option.

I plan on getting the new Toro timemaster 30 and this bag will work with that mower as well as my current one.

Any opinions on this?

The website is www.abletotech.com

I would think the leaves would have to be nice and dry otherwize the whole rig would be too heavy.

Since you are using a personal pace try this, set the rear wells in the nexxt to lowest setting and the front in the next to highest, close the side shut mow back and forth over the leaves till they are mainly tiny pieces, put the regular bagger on and bag and dump. Even with the toro you will get a cubic yard of leaves (27 cubic feet) of leaves down to about 3 cubic feet of mulch.