PDA

View Full Version : GPS Tracking

marcusmac99
12-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Guys,

Anyone using GPS tracking for their trucks, trailers or mowers? I'm trying to find a GPS tracking company that deals with smaller fleets, less than 5 trucks, but no luck so far.

Thanks,

flyingdutch16
12-11-2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-gsm-tracker.html not a very cheap solution buy it might be worth a shot?

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Be cheaper to give every employee or truck a company Cell Phone with GPS Location Tracking and monitor it that way....

flyingdutch16
12-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Be cheaper to give every employee or truck a company Cell Phone with GPS Location Tracking and monitor it that way....

True, but your crew could "accidentally" forget to charge the phone and go off your route and mow a few of there own.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Make it mandatory all phones be brought inside the office after the completion of each day, and equipp all trucks with chargers and make it a company policy that phone be on and functional throughout the entire work day...
Posted via Mobile Device

GainesvilleLawnscaping
12-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, I use Shadow Tracker from Advanced Tracking Technologies. Love it! Was about $200 in equipment and then only $20 or so a month. Can't imagine living without it.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I've heard of www.fleetboss.com but have never used any...

David Haggerty
12-12-2011, 07:14 AM
True, but your crew could "accidentally" forget to charge the phone and go off your route and mow a few of there own.

These tracking programs do so much more than prevent employee theft.
I'm putting an app on my cell so my wife/office manager can track me in real time.
So when a customer wants to know when I'll be on their property, where to have a mower part delivered, when to start my dinner, she'll have the info.
I could do it myself but it'll be nice to have some help. How much of your day is wasted on the phone?

grassman177
12-12-2011, 07:55 AM
i cant remember who we sue, but it is less than 5 trucks, even though wehave more than that. we dont gps each of them cuz they are not always used

Thanksman
12-12-2011, 08:59 AM
i dont have employees yet. but i did work for a company thats used them for 6 yrs.. of my 10 year employment ,i hated it. i was trust worthy.. did not steal nor would i. slowly but surely we are loosing freedom in this country. if you cant trust your employee... dont hire them. i am sorry if this offends...... but i, myself think it is bullshyt. i found the place i worked.. guys started screwing the company... after these were installed in our trucks. for feeling like they were not trusted. good luck

grassman177
12-12-2011, 06:06 PM
THAT CAN HAPPEN, although the guys dont mostly care. we use it to check routes to make more money. if the company makes more, so does the crew leadersl. they are not paid by the hour, so the more they do, the more they make. also, comes on handy if we need to have something brought to us, or the bossman cant get us on the phone, he can come right to where we are for any emergency or need.

A Leaf Above
12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
http://www.zoombak.com ...mine is installed into a 12 volt supply under my dash hidden behind my radio ...I never started service yet though ...May help someone out looking for gps though ..

GainesvilleLawnscaping
12-12-2011, 08:10 PM
if you cant trust your employee... dont hire them. i am sorry if this offends...... but i, myself think it is bullshyt. i found the place i worked.. guys started screwing the company... after these were installed in our trucks. for feeling like they were not trusted. good luck

that sounds great, but the fact of the matter is that the majority of the workforce out there today is lazy and can't be trusted. trust is earned, it isnt just granted on day one of being employed. some of my employees who i thought i could trust more than others let me down. others i didn't think had a chance of sticking around proved me wrong. if you or someone is screwing the company, no matter what the reason, then the owner has every right to not trust you or them. screwing the company is screwing the company... there's no excuse for it. trust is earned.

Thanksman
12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=GainesvilleLawnscaping;4242072]that sounds great, but the fact of the matter is that the majority of the workforce out there today is lazy and can't be trusted. trust is earned, it isnt just granted on day one of being employed. some of my employees who i thought i could trust more than others let me down. others i didn't think had a chance of sticking around proved me wrong. if you or someone is screwing the company, no matter what the reason, then the owner has every right to not trust you or the
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanksman
12-12-2011, 09:58 PM
that sounds great, but the fact of the matter is that the majority of the workforce out there today is lazy and can't be trusted. trust is earned, it isnt just granted on day one of being employed. some of my employees who i thought i could trust more than others let me down. others i didn't think had a chance of sticking around proved me wrong. if you or someone is screwing the company, no matter what the reason, then the owner has every right to not trust you or them. screwing the company is screwing the company... there's no excuse for it. trust is earned. sorry had you read we worked for the company multiple years.. we were not new hires. this was caused by corporate americas idea of micro managing... in the end unfortunatly they were loosing more then gaining from this. you are right about trust it is earned.. as a new hire would do.

Working Man
12-14-2011, 02:00 AM
Come on, I don't want to have to plug in a box when we get back to the office, I don't want something that I have to check to see where it is now but I can't know where it was 3 hours ago, I don't want to pay $40 a month per truck. I want a system that I can make a log from online of everywhere my trucks went in the last week, addresses, times the truck arrived, times the truck left. If my guys forget to fill in a time on a plow route I want to be able to match up their log with the gps log. If someone takes us to court for a slip and fall, I want to show what time we were there to salt. And I want to be able to locate 5 trucks for $100 or less a month, does anyone offer this??

And 401, I trust my employees but would like to know if there is something going on that shouldn't be. Overall its a good decision for MY business, making and preserving profits, and I'M paying for it, therefore I don't really care if YOU are offended because YOU THINK I don't trust you. Don't do anything wrong and it won't matter. When you have employees and have to deal with all the B.S. that employers have to deal with you will understand. Stop whining!

Thanksman
12-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Come on, I don't want to have to plug in a box when we get back to the office, I don't want something that I have to check to see where it is now but I can't know where it was 3 hours ago, I don't want to pay $40 a month per truck. I want a system that I can make a log from online of everywhere my trucks went in the last week, addresses, times the truck arrived, times the truck left. If my guys forget to fill in a time on a plow route I want to be able to match up their log with the gps log. If someone takes us to court for a slip and fall, I want to show what time we were there to salt. And I want to be able to locate 5 trucks for $100 or less a month, does anyone offer this??

And 401, I trust my employees but would like to know if there is something going on that shouldn't be. Overall its a good decision for MY business, making and preserving profits, and I'M paying for it, therefore I don't really care if YOU are offended because YOU THINK I don't trust you. Don't do anything wrong and it won't matter. When you have employees and have to deal with all the B.S. that employers have to deal with you will understand. Stop whining! Lol... not whining at all. Just my belief... good luck:usflag:

nortonlawncare
12-14-2011, 09:19 AM
i dont have employees yet. but i did work for a company thats used them for 6 yrs.. of my 10 year employment ,i hated it. i was trust worthy.. did not steal nor would i. slowly but surely we are loosing freedom in this country. if you cant trust your employee... dont hire them. i am sorry if this offends...... but i, myself think it is bullshyt. i found the place i worked.. guys started screwing the company... after these were installed in our trucks. for feeling like they were not trusted. good luck

What the hell does your boss installing GPS have to do with losing freedom in this country?

Thanksman
12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
What the hell does your boss installing GPS have to do with losing freedom in this country? Ok... so you want to track.. micro manage. I get it. Im woundering whats next?? A recorder?? so you can listen how the guys are laughing at you (hypothetical of course) or maybe a camera.. so when he is itching his ball$ you can see. This is my opinion. And i do see.. whether you agree that is freedom being taken away.. in this country. Im not going to argue my point any further. good luck with it:usflag:

GainesvilleLawnscaping
12-14-2011, 02:08 PM

The system I mentioned above does all of that for $20/month. I love this system. I always know where the trucks are, can build reports easily for stop time and about 50 other criteria, it sends me text messages when the trucks enter and leave our office complex, etc. http://www.shadowtrackerlive.com/

nortonlawncare
12-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Ok... so you want to track.. micro manage. I get it. Im woundering whats next?? A recorder?? so you can listen how the guys are laughing at you (hypothetical of course) or maybe a camera.. so when he is itching his ball$ you can see. This is my opinion. And i do see.. whether you agree that is freedom being taken away.. in this country. Im not going to argue my point any further. good luck with it:usflag:

A business owner, and the goverment are to entirely different things, but i am sure when you go to the bank and they have cameras there you can't help but feel trapped by "the man" :usflag:

Thanksman
12-14-2011, 03:28 PM
A business owner, and the goverment are to entirely different things, but i am sure when you go to the bank and they have cameras there you can't help but feel trapped by "the man" :usflag: i see you do understand my point... its where does it go from there...? and the man... i dont trust him.

Working Man
12-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the link Gainesville, I went to the wrong site last night, now I can't wait to take away my workers freedoms. Do you by any chance know where I can get some cameras with audio to put into the trucks so I can listen in on them while I'm at it? I really have nothing better to do with my life then listen to all their BS.

nortonlawncare
12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
i'm all for the GPS tracking. If i had a large crew and multiple vehicles i think it would be imperative to know where they are how long they are there and how long it takes to get there. It would not only weed out dishonesty but it would also allow me to control my bottom line. Gps can help find a better way to do a route to save gas money as well as mileage! and that means more money in my pocket and more money in my pocket is a nice feeling

grass-scapes
12-16-2011, 04:46 PM
i see you do understand my point... its where does it go from there...? and the man... i dont trust him.

I suppose you could move to canada...or Mexico. Maybe Iraq or Iran?

Thanksman
12-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I suppose you could move to canada...or Mexico. Maybe Iraq or Iran?

Lol..... original. not trusting the man... does not mean I dont love my country...
Posted via Mobile Device

grass-scapes
12-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Ahhhhhhh.. A democrat. Sorry.

DuallyVette
12-16-2011, 09:53 PM
"A man that has nothing to hide...hides nothing" A tracking device wouldn't bother me at all. People have a tendency to stretch their boundaries. A crew will drive out of their way for a drink one day, and since it went unnoticed , they work their way up driving across town to have lunch at their favorite Chinese Restaurant the next day.

I once had a desire to monitor the conversation in my employees truck. I was motivated to consider this because of some things I'd heard and some "attitude" that I perceived from a newer employee. I realized that I really didn't need to hear the details. I need to replace some employees.

Working Man
12-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Hey Gainesville, which system are you using from them? I went on their website and asked about pricing and product capability and they came back and told me they have a system that will do everything I want it's only $30/month. I don't know why but $20 is the price I have stuck in my head as the point of purchase. I would much rather pay for the trackers and pay one price to see as many trucks as I need to but I doubt anyone does it that way.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-18-2011, 01:53 AM
Realtrackgps is what you want. I've had it for a year and it only costs $18 a month. No contract and you can turn it off and save money if the truck is parked. This is the most small business friendly and cost effective system you can buy. You can view all your info online or on your smart phone. If you do a search on lawnsite for GPS tracking you may find my old thread.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-18-2011, 02:36 AM
Another option as well....

http://www.usfleettracking.com/

PlantscapeSolutions
12-18-2011, 03:10 PM
i'm all for the GPS tracking. If i had a large crew and multiple vehicles i think it would be imperative to know where they are how long they are there and how long it takes to get there. It would not only weed out dishonesty but it would also allow me to control my bottom line. Gps can help find a better way to do a route to save gas money as well as mileage! and that means more money in my pocket and more money in my pocket is a nice feeling

If you really want to know exactly what goes on then do not tell your guys when you first install the GPS. If you tell them they will alter their ways and you will be in the dark as to exactly what goes on during the day on your dime. Monitor what goes on for a month so you can see if any patterns of waste emerge. If you tell your guys too quickly your get the "it only happened once speech". When you can document repeated waste, cheating, or down right lying on time cards it puts you in a more knowledgeable position.

Thanksman
12-18-2011, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=PlantscapeSolutions;4247774]If you really want to know exactly what goes on then do not tell your guys when you first install the GPS. If you tell them they will alter their ways and you will be in the dark as to exactly what goes on during the day on your dime. Monitor what goes on for a month so you can see if any patterns of waste emerge. If you tell your guys too quickly your get the "it only happened once speech". When you can document repeated waste, cheating, or down right lying on time cards
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
12-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Just letting you know the RealTrack GPS unit is on sale right now for $30 off until the end of the month.