PDA

View Full Version : what would you do????

zlssefi
12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
so heres the deal, last week my leaf loader went down with a broken and worn out impeller. I over nighted a new one and had it up and running within a day. Fast forward to this week, been vacuuming all day and got to a yard that recently had tree work done. We vacuumed there for about 30 minutes with no problems. I left my worker vacuuming while i loaded the mowers and equip onto the trailer. Within a minute of walking away i heard a huge clunk and the vacuum started vibrating real bad. Long story short he sucked up an 8 inch by 4 inch chunk of oak wood and bent the brand new impeller. So i ask, what would you guys do? charge the customer for not picking up after the tree company? or ask the employee to pay for the $540.00 dollar impeller for the leaf loader? Im all ears!

RussellB
12-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Bite the bullet and pay got it yourself. pat of doing business.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
12-05-2011, 07:24 PM
That stings and yes your going to have to eat that. I'm curious what brand and type of vac is that on the one hand it had enough power to suck up that block of wood but on the other the impeller has to be a 1/4 inch thick or less to bend like that. My 20 hp vacs have half inch steel on the impellers and have been through wars with out bending I hear rocks hit them all the time when the guys vac piles. The impellers have worn down to nothing before same with the liners so they get replaced but never totally failed from an impact. My previous boss had a 13hp lesco loader and that did happen to that the welds on the impeller cracked and they she got real ugly sounding.

RussellB
12-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Sorry for the typos in my above post. The IPad corrects words or replaces them as I type. I need to look closer prior to posting.
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
12-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Price of doing buisness.

Knew there had been tree work done recently so did you instruct the employee to keep on the lookout for large debri?

Same as the above but your time would of been better served scouting area to be vaccumed then losding up trailer?

zlssefi
12-05-2011, 10:28 PM
The loader is a 20 hp giant vac. We actually replaced the engine with a 25 horse a few years back. As we were blowing the leaves we were picking the pieces of wood out and were throwing them to the side. I did actually instruct the employee to keep an eye out for large debris. I beleive the impeller has a 1/2 inch back plate and 3/8 fins on it.

LindblomRJ
12-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Suck it up and replace the impeller, again. It is part of doing business. Remind your worker what the whats and whys of such errors.

Dr.NewEarth
12-05-2011, 11:28 PM
It's illegal to bill the employee. Go on line and check your states labor laws.

Also, accidents happen. It's up to you to properly train your employees.

zlssefi
12-05-2011, 11:38 PM
The employee has been properly trained. This is his 3rd season doing cleanups. Its not an issue of training, its an issue of head in rear when working.....

JB1
12-05-2011, 11:40 PM
The employee has been properly trained. This is his 3rd season doing cleanups. Its not an issue of training, its an issue of head in rear when working.....

welll fire him then.

Groomer
12-06-2011, 10:18 AM
My leaf guy has been through 3 impellers this season. Last one he was able to have welded at the local shop.Leaf pickup at a recent tree work spot is asking for trouble. You pull up at the end of the day, its close to the end of the leaf season, guys are getting a little toasted, there's debris mixed in everywhere......get yourself a new impeller.

ralph02813
12-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Buy a new, thank God he did it instead of you now you have someone to blame - feed him a guilt trip once a week for a couple of weeks.

jackal
12-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I'd try a torch and a hammer first. I have straightened mine before, just depends on how bad it is.

Darryl G
12-06-2011, 03:55 PM
so heres the deal, last week my leaf loader went down with a broken and worn out impeller. I over nighted a new one and had it up and running within a day. Fast forward to this week, been vacuuming all day and got to a yard that recently had tree work done. We vacuumed there for about 30 minutes with no problems. I left my worker vacuuming while i loaded the mowers and equip onto the trailer. Within a minute of walking away i heard a huge clunk and the vacuum started vibrating real bad. Long story short he sucked up an 8 inch by 4 inch chunk of oak wood and bent the brand new impeller. So i ask, what would you guys do? charge the customer for not picking up after the tree company? or ask the employee to pay for the $540.00 dollar impeller for the leaf loader? Im all ears!

Where's the option of you paying for it? Good luck charging the customer...can't believe you even consider that an option. It's not the employees fault either really...you knew of the hazard and instructed him to suck leaves. This is why I bring the leaves to the loader nozzle and not the other way around.

zlssefi
12-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I normally wouldnt even consider charging the customer, besides the fact that this lawn always seems to have chunks of concrete, stone, and fire wood scattered everywhere. After last season i asked the homeowner to remove the concrete and stone and maybe stack his firewood. He agreed and of course about half way through the cleanup we realized not a single one of those things had been done. As far as bringing the leaves to the loader nozzle....how do you do it? maybe im doing something wrong???

Darryl G
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I lay the nozzle down and use a 24 inch landscape rake to feed it so that I can pick out sticks and debris. It also seems to wear me out less...just a matter of preference really. In reality I do a little of both...for heavy wet matted leaves that tend to clog you kind of need to be on the nozzle anyway to do the wiggly-giggly shaky thing and raking them kind of sucks. But if I'm concerned about what I'm sucking up I feed with a rake and prefer a landscape or garden rake rather than a standard leaf rake.

P.S. - Maybe technique is different with the bigger loaders...I've only run a 16 horse BG

STIHL GUY
12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Suck it up and replace the impeller, again. It is part of doing business. Remind your worker what the whats and whys of such errors.

thats exactly what i would do. it sucks to have to spend the $ but sometimes theres no helping it

Larson Lawn Care
12-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Call the tree company, tell them to learn how to pick up their mess???

andyslawncare
12-12-2011, 09:19 PM
The tree service should have cleaned up their mess.

grassyfras
12-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I would post on Lawnsite.com and ask what they would do.