PDA

View Full Version : This one's for Jim

txirrigation
12-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Here are some locate pics. Could then be inserted into hack pics. They put two lawngenie valves in one 6" box. Pic was taken after leap frogging 2-3 of these manifolded lawngenie gems in 6" boxes.

We found the last two zone valves under the 521a box, again located in one 6" box. There was a lot of head scratching going on, and happened to be the reason I was on site. All the other valve boxes had been 30-40 ft. apart.

1idejim
12-05-2011, 08:20 PM
sweet, the 521a is a good machine, i like the older 521's myself but then again, i don't have a 521a.

it's funny how good it feels when a job comes together. nice work :)

txirrigation
12-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Two days ago we used the 521a to find a broken wire in a low voltage lighting application. All the wire/ lights were set in mortar, or under lueders (large stone blocks).

The locate saved tearing up all the lueders to find the break. Located the break down to the inch, popped out out lueder (75lbs) fixed the wire, and done.

I just happened to be on site when the contractor was there about to start tearing everything out. I offered to give it a try, and it turned out nicely. I do a lot of work for the contractor so there was no charge, but it gaurenteed work for a long time.

mitchgo
12-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Hey this is for jim!

The bossman and I are going to cut it up in a few days.

I found that some peoples homeowners insurance will cover everything except for the repair itself. Now I don't feel so bad about the pricing and now gives me more time to find the leak.

This one sucked because
#1 I found a leak already 30' from the meter and repaired it- find out there is another leak
#2 75% of the water line was under the driveway
#3 The power line was in the exact same trench and even touching the water line- throughout most of the driveway every 30 seconds or so for 5-30 seconds all I would hear was Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1idejim
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey this is for jim!

The bossman and I are going to cut it up in a few days.

I found that some peoples homeowners insurance will cover everything except for the repair itself. Now I don't feel so bad about the pricing and now gives me more time to find the leak.

This one sucked because
#1 I found a leak already 30' from the meter and repaired it- find out there is another leak
#2 75% of the water line was under the driveway
#3 The power line was in the exact same trench and even touching the water line- throughout most of the driveway every 30 seconds or so for 5-30 seconds all I would hear was Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

if you were running a compressor, even hundreds of feet away mitch, that may be the buzzzzzzz.

whooshing and purging noise is the water flushing from the line, small holes sometimes open up on pressure increases. air compress's you know.

you will do fine so we want all the pics we can get of your find.

Mike Leary
12-06-2011, 07:16 PM
if you were running a compressor, even hundreds of feet away mitch, that may be the buzzzzzzz.

whooshing and purging noise is the water flushing from the line, small holes sometimes open up on pressure increases. air compress's you know.

Yes, a compressor will find most leaks, with the water added. It's the noise that Jim describes. Walking the area, one will hear the sound, what you want to do at that point, is blow the break out of the ground and have the air bubbles/water surface.

DanaMac
12-06-2011, 07:31 PM
what you want to do at that point, is blow the break out of the ground and have the air bubbles/water surface.

Crank it up to 11!!!!

Mike Leary
12-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Crank it up to 11!!!!

Stand back! I've told clients either I'll blow this leak (not my install) out of the ground with my compressor, call a very expensive leak detection service, or start over.

txirrigation
12-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Here are some more locating pics from today. I do work for a guy that flips houses, and we were getting his system up and running. 4 of 6 zones had wire breaks because the origonal installer did not leave slack. Last pic was the hardest locate... could also be in the hack thread. Also notice the heads in the masonary work, and all the risers.... I HATE risers.

Mike Leary
12-06-2011, 09:02 PM
could also be in the hack thread.

Those are damn crazy mama pics. :hammerhead:

Autoflow
12-06-2011, 09:51 PM
I can never understand why people don't get their valves (LOL and sprinklers) moved before putting a path or driveway in??

mitchgo
12-06-2011, 10:32 PM

My boss is actually trying to push for a line replacement now- we'll see.

I had the line purged and was using the silent air tank. I've only had a few times for a leak under cement so I'm still learning. But I was able to confirm the leak was here by using the air- ( Needle floated constantly around 50 at these points) Then I turned off and disconnected the air ( needle at 0) and then back on with the needle around 40. The needle would drop to 5-15 in every direction around my dots.

The buzzing happened even with the air off and disconnected as well. It sounded exactly like a power utility box buzzing away - just a first for me to hear it underground like that.

we called in a locate but the power utility locator guy located the wrong house -( I went to the wrong house at first too and saw his spray paints) otherwise I would know for sure.

I wasn't able to locate the last 40' because my fish line got caught on a fitting- but if I put the accoustical on the point of connection at the house which I previously dug up- All I could hear was the buzzing every so often ( with air off) which is why I'm assuming the power utility line is touching the water line.

Mike Leary
12-07-2011, 12:01 PM
I can never understand why people don't get their valves (LOL and sprinklers) moved before putting a path or driveway in??

Worse than that, is the lack of large sleeves (noted on an as-built) under all hardscapes. :hammerhead:

1idejim
12-07-2011, 12:06 PM
My boss is actually trying to push for a line replacement now- we'll see.

I had the line purged and was using the silent air tank. I've only had a few times for a leak under cement so I'm still learning. But I was able to confirm the leak was here by using the air- ( Needle floated constantly around 50 at these points) Then I turned off and disconnected the air ( needle at 0) and then back on with the needle around 40. The needle would drop to 5-15 in every direction around my dots.

The buzzing happened even with the air off and disconnected as well. It sounded exactly like a power utility box buzzing away - just a first for me to hear it underground like that.

we called in a locate but the power utility locator guy located the wrong house -( I went to the wrong house at first too and saw his spray paints) otherwise I would know for sure.

I wasn't able to locate the last 40' because my fish line got caught on a fitting- but if I put the accoustical on the point of connection at the house which I previously dug up- All I could hear was the buzzing every so often ( with air off) which is why I'm assuming the power utility line is touching the water line.

acoustical leak detection works on the same principal as electrical locating, maybe the frequencies were similar enough to cause the buzzzz. prollyso (i like that word, prollyso) have fun:)