PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu NPR

Luke Reedy
12-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions concerning buying an Isuzu NPR brand new. We all know that buying regular trucks you can negotiate the dealers down way off of sticker price. For those of you that have bought Isuzu or Fuso brand new, were you able to talk the dealers down on price when purchasing new? If so, what kind of deal did you get i.e sticker-final price? What kind of percentage is possible to get them down off of sticker price? Even if you bought the truck from Super Lawn Trucks, how did neqotiations go?

Marek
12-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Super Lawn told me the price is what it is , no discount unless you do multiple trucks. I can understand thier point , none of us want to discount our work yet we all expect to get a discount when buying something. Neely and Coble is a great dealer to work with in Nashville Tn , price wont give you the same sticker shock.

Luke Reedy
12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
With that being said, I wonder if it would be worth it to buy the truck itself local, and beat them down on price. Then go to SLT and get them to do all the custom stuff. I just do not know if they are discounting the trucks to get the custom work or if they are charging sticker and getting paid on the custom side as well. I don't mind paying fair prices, but at the same time I definitely do not want to way overpay. Just wish I could find out the markup on the trucks at the dealership.

thunderthud
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
My issue with SLT is they appear to be a business consulting company masquerading as a truck body manufacturer.

In my limited experience with them I found them to be lacking in knowledge of trucks, how they go together and dealing with people who know about trucks. I found it frustrating to know more about the process of ordering a truck and body than they did. I would have liked to use their ramp system but in the end, they dropped the ball with me. They are really good at blast marketing, and terrible at actually selling what the customer needs other than their A.B. or C package.

Perhaps I just had a bad experience; I believe they are a sponsor here, so they do contribute to our use of the forum so I appreciate that from them.

They seem to be nice people, I just think they have a stiff model they must force all customers to accept. They have a niche product that helps sell the one on one consulting side of their business.

The truck can be bought with a body for far less than the SLT price. The issue is the ramp or rail gate you need to get equipment off and on the truck. There are several options available that will work like the SLT system that can be bought of fabricated locally.

Thanksman
12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
i owned an isuzu years ago... worst truck i had ever owned. body rot mechanical issues. not trying to put a damper on things for ya. wish you best of luck.

KrayzKajun
12-06-2011, 04:11 PM
i see yur from luling. have you checked out the trucks at Leson Chevy in Harvey? they had a few nice NPR style trucks on the lot. i might stop over and check them out one day this week.

Luke Reedy
12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
When I went about 4 mos. ago they had about 3 on the lot. It seemed like it was going to be a lot of work to get info out of the salesman. So I didn't stick around. Just luck off the draw who you get as a salesman if you don't know much yourself. lol

Marek
12-06-2011, 05:48 PM
When we were looking in them I talked to alot of people about the Isuzu 's most will swear by them and others from up north seem to have wiring problems due to the road salt. For us it came down to over all cost and use. We dont get a ton of snow here but it helps pay the bills , so we went with another truck with plow and enclosed trailer that carries everything the crew could need.For the same price as the enclosed truck I priced we were able to do a new truck a zero percent a new enclosed trailer and new plow for a unit that could work year round,providing we get snow, where a Isuzu would have sat all winter. One other big turn off to me is thier safety.
I think Tony Bass could teach alot of guys how to be more efficent with there time and money. The things he talks about on cost savings with fewer stops hits the nail right on the head. Its also something that we have been doing for years.
I take it you are looking for an enclosed truck ? Search truck paper.com also .

Luke Reedy
12-07-2011, 12:47 AM
I have looked at truckpaper but haven't really seen anything that would be a great deal. I'm considering new because I can get everything I want at a one stop shop. When you were looking, were you trying to negotiate a price, or were you in the beginning stages of making a decision? If trying to negotiate, how willing were they about coming off of sticker and entertaining offers? I just don't want to leave anything on the table when buying whatever I decide.

twward
12-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Luke,

Try contacting some of the Isuzu and Fuso dealers in south Florida. You see the cab forward trucks EVERYWHERE down here. When you ride by the dealers, alot of the trucks already have bodies installed and ready to go. Landscaping is a huge portion of their truck sales so the salesmen should be alot more knowledgeable. I have been to a few dealers in West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. Very informative visits.

I know this is along way from you, but a phone call can save you alot of time and headache. Hope this helps.

Troy

Luke Reedy
12-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey, thanks man. That is certainly another avenue that I have not thought of. That's is pretty cool that they do enough business with the industry that they already have stuff specifically made. In Baton Rouge they are fairly knowledgeable, but usually do not have anything specific for landscape. Thanks for the info. Is there a specific name of a couple of dealerships that I should look at or call?

twward
12-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Try these dealers:

Isuzu of Palm Beach
Debary Truck Sales
TruckMax
Jumbo Auto & Truck Plaza
Shumate Motors
TLC Truck and Equipment

They are all in Florida. Hope this helps.

Troy

Luke Reedy
12-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks man I may end up checking them out. I appreciate the tip. That's pretty cool that they already have stuff made for us. I'll may check them out.

Grassman6
12-14-2011, 07:59 PM
I second the comments about Neely-Coble in Nashville, TN. Been trading for a new NPR with a locally fabricated landscape bed from these guys for years. Currently on my third NPR gas V8. No problems with the equipment installed and lots of information available with just a phone call.

lawn king
12-15-2011, 03:31 PM
I purchased a new npr in 2003. I purchased the C&C and had the truck upfitted with the body and snowplow that i wanted. This purchase left me no angle to bring them down on the price, i was however, able to get top dollar for 1996 silverado that i traded in. They were willing to play ball to sell a $45,000 dump truck. Best worktruck we have ever owned, heading into its tenth season & going strong. My next new work truck will be an isuzu cabover for sure!

TMlawncare
12-18-2011, 08:10 PM
i owned an isuzu years ago... worst truck i had ever owned. body rot mechanical issues. not trying to put a damper on things for ya. wish you best of luck.

Strange. We bought ours new in 2006 and have only did a few oil changes. That it is the only thing we have ever had to do. Most reliable truck we have ever owened. Planning to add another very soon.

Luke Reedy
12-19-2011, 10:32 AM
That is some good positive comments about the NPRs. I appreciate it. What is C & C. I'm not familiar with that.

ecurbthims
12-19-2011, 10:46 AM
cab and chassis ,just a truck no box .

KrayzKajun
12-19-2011, 11:12 AM
They have a Superlawn truck forsale on the New Orleans craigslist.
Posted via Mobile Device

Luke Reedy
12-19-2011, 11:26 AM
i think i'd want to buy new and not mess with used stuff. Any idea on markup, what kind of negotiating power do I have. Is it like buying a regular truck or do they not come down on price at all ?

TMlawncare
12-28-2011, 06:59 PM
When we bought our Isuzu npr in 2007 we got them to come off msrp by about $6k. We bought the landscaper body direct from Supreme and had it installed.

clay duncan
12-28-2011, 09:57 PM
i have a 2006 w3500 which is a npr badged as a chevrolet. i would never ever consider going back to a truck and trailer. very easy to maintain, drive, turn around, carry anything and everything. the only repair i have made to date is the blower motor for the hvac........

tnmtn
12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
it seems like the box trucks have a good bit of body behind the rear axle. when a ramp is added it overhangs even more. does this cause any kind of problem when turning in traffic?

Luke Reedy
12-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Hey TM,

Thanks for telling me about the pricing you were able to get. That makes me feel better and I'll know not to believe the dealer if they tell me that that is their final price. Does anyone else want to share their buying experience, such as sticker price and final price. It would give me a really good idea of what I'm looking at. Also, if you could share your purchase was gas, diesel, crew cab, regular cab, type of bed or just C&C. That would really help me a bunch! Thanks ya'll.

TMlawncare
12-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey TM,

Thanks for telling me about the pricing you were able to get. That makes me feel better and I'll know not to believe the dealer if they tell me that that is their final price. Does anyone else want to share their buying experience, such as sticker price and final price. It would give me a really good idea of what I'm looking at. Also, if you could share your purchase was gas, diesel, crew cab, regular cab, type of bed or just C&C. That would really help me a bunch! Thanks ya'll.

When we were shopping for cabovers, we look at several brands. Ford, fuso, hino and isuzu. We talked to several dealers and worked to find which fit our needs and budget. When we narrowed it down, virtually all the dealers knew they were competing with each other. You have to be armed with the other dealers info and you have bargaining power. Almost every dealer would come off of list by 4-5k with little effort. They almost expect it. They won't let you know tell they think you will buy from the "other guy."

Luke Reedy
12-31-2011, 08:48 AM
So, in essence, it is like buying a regular vehicle. Man I really appreciate you coming on here and telling me that so that I can try to get the best deal. Like I said, I don't want to overpay and you guys are helping me avoid doing that. I now just have to make a decision---SLT the one-and-done shop or piece a truck together myself. Thanks a lot. Anyone else who can help me make a decision---feel free to comment.

Luke Reedy
01-26-2012, 02:15 AM
I want to let everyone know that I ordered my Super Lawn Truck today. I took a road trip two weedends ago on a Sunday, spent all day Monday there, and came back that day. 7.5 hrs--one way. The trip helped me make my decision and I ordered it on Wednesday.

I want to say thanks to all that gave me some good input and insight into going in the right direction. As soon as I get it and learn how to post pictures on here I will do that.

I ended up getting a Fuso and bought it here locally. It will be shipped from the port in Jacksonville to Georgia and then SLT will do their thing. Delivery time should be 4-8 weeks.

Thanks again to everyone!

Marek
01-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Which body did you go with and what options ?

Luke Reedy
01-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Ended up getting a crew cab Fuso with an 18' box with 2' dovetail. The ramp is eco series (1 piece). I hope this works out to be the best thing I have ever bought because none of this stuff is given away ! I'm planning on learning how to post pictures and when i get the truck I'll post some.

srl28
01-26-2012, 06:43 PM
What did the setup run roughly, if you dont mind my asking. In the same market for one, pm me if you wish. Good luck with it! Sounds like you really did your research, any info you can share with me would be great!

Marek
01-26-2012, 07:44 PM
What made you go with the Fuso over the Isuzu ?

Luke Reedy
01-26-2012, 09:17 PM
I got the truck here locally for 43,428. It is being shipped from the port in Jacksonville to Georgia for free. They move it from port one time, no charge. At SLT their price is their price on the custom stuff. What I've come up with for now is going to run about 21,000. That does not include window tint, graphics or wrap on truck, air compressor, trailer hitch, or D-rings in the floor. It does include 18'body, hyro ramp, 36" underbody toolbox, gas dispensing system for mowers 39/14 gal., racks for handhelds, double utility shelves, power inverter for microwave and air compressor, locking caps for underbody fuel sys., and chrome wheel simulators. They will charge to deliver (1.50/mi.)or I can get back up there to pick it up.

If I left anything out, let me know. Real nice people. The salesman I had is really knowledgeable and patient. He has to be with me. lol Anyway, his name is Jonathan Waters and would probably be more than glad to talk to you. He made this purchasee really easy on me and applied no pressure.

---luke

Luke Reedy
01-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Also I have to pay tax, title, and license to the parish I live in no matter where I buy the truck. Pay no taxes on the box and everything SLT is doing to the truck because it is out of state. Saves me probably about 2-2.5k. Something to think about.

srl28
01-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Wow! Pricey lawn truck! super curious to see it when its done! Thanks for the info

Luke Reedy
01-27-2012, 12:19 AM
fuso FE 160 vs. npr?---fuso has 5yr/175,000 mi warranty. Less power, but better gas mileage. Since we don't have any hills and are not trying to set any records I figured we could go with a little less power. We won't put nearly that many miles on it in five years, some people might. The warranty tells me they really believe in their product. Also the fuso's GVW is 2k pounds higher that the Isuzu equivalent. 14k as opposed to 16k. We are going to carry 3-4 mowers in there so we don't have to go back to shop to change mowers at the end of the day to finish up other jobs. I'll be able to route better. Plus we bag most of our properties and end up with tons of clippings with us which makes more weight.

I know it's pricey, but the way I justified it is this. Nprs and fusos are supposed to have a life of around 300,000 miles. Pay seventy to eighty grand for the truck the way you want it for work and have it for 20 yrs. Or pay 40-50k for a regular 2500 or 3500 and pull a trailer. You may also use a regular truck for personal stuff and rack up the miles. Then you trade it in at the 4-7 yr. mark.

This move has been on my mind for about two years and after dealing with a piece of s**t F-250, that has left us stranded many times, I'm going for dependability the cabovers offer as well. No more used stuff for us. All mowers we've bought are brand new for the last 12 years. I just want everything to flow smoothly--less headaches.

srl28
01-27-2012, 12:22 AM
I agree, the warranty is nice. Getting very tired of breakdowns and replacing trailer tires and brakes. go through about 5 or 6 trailer tires per trailer a year it seems. Just a very professional look too with the box truck.

Do you have a breakdown of how much the options were? For example the hydra-ramp, the fuel station, racks, etc. Like a menu of prices?

Luke Reedy
01-27-2012, 12:28 AM
I've also been dealing with trailer tires forever as well i have one that i replaced all four tires twice a year at 100-120 a piece it sucks. we are also getting a new trailer this year. 2ft longer lol That trailer will end up being about $5200, but it is a macdaddy. Post your email I'll see if I can scan and send it to you or forward the emails to you. I'm not too computer savvy--I'm really just a grasscutter lol

srl28
01-27-2012, 12:39 AM
I'm going to pm my email to ya now. Let me know the prices for the options your getting if you can. Thanks!

Luke Reedy
01-27-2012, 12:52 AM
I sent both quotes go to bottom click view the emails look the same, but they are different.