PDA

View Full Version : Help..St. Augustine with a Bermuda Overseed...

Cody1174
12-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Just took over a lawn with some issues. I mow and maintain lawns on the side and I am a novice.

The new homeowner lightly seeded his yard with Bermuda seed. He had issues with clover and various weeds. He dug out alot of the front yard and seeded bermuda. His neighbors aren't real happy and he has a big patch of bermuda in the center of his patchy st. augustine. Im looking for an inexpensive way to control the bermuda (or try to abolish it all together). Would overseeding with another grass work?

Southern Louisiana, client has no watering limitations (well water). Manually waters grass.

fl-landscapes
12-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Getting Bermuda out of st Augustine is a real task. Big mistake putting bermuda seed in there if they didn't want a Bermuda lawn. Should round up the area multiple times and then re sod. And figure out the cultural practices that got it into the poor shape it was in and address those issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
12-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Scalp it, roundup,roundup again,roundup again, some new topsoil and sod
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
12-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Inexpensive is not going to be successful. I have a feeling he knows what a sod job is going to cost. Is this going to be your first sod job?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cody1174
12-08-2011, 08:00 PM
I just sprayed the visible areas of Bermuda with round up and even broke out the paint brush and hit the small patches.
I plan on killing all the Bermuda I see visible now. Just had our first freeze, so I'm going to wait it out till early spring and see what kind of shape
The remaining st Augustine is in.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
12-08-2011, 08:14 PM
A nuclear attack could happen and bermuda grass would survive.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
12-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Selling the customer on a SA job will be your most pressing problem. The Bermuda will come back either from the roots or seeds blown back in from the now infected neighbor yards.:usflag:

Florida Gardener
12-08-2011, 08:27 PM
When you kill it off, make sure you add fusillade to that mix.
Posted via Mobile Device

Johnagain
12-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Diamond,
According to the label of Fusilade II on page 31 (weed control in desirable turfgrass) is says not for use on home lawns.

greendoctor
12-15-2011, 04:33 AM
When used for nonselective destruction of grasses, that area is a non crop site. Syngenta does not want its Fusilade used on home lawns selectively because they cannot guarantee that applicators will use the proper equipment needed to prevent adverse reactions due to misapplication.

Johnagain
12-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me. In one section it states for use on turf then in the one I called out it says not for home lawns. It's all so confusing!