PDA

View Full Version : Disputing charges

Keegan
12-06-2011, 10:37 AM
I had a customer e mail before the leaves fell that he wanted me to do a clean up. No price was discussed. Just do it.
I came there twice for a total of 3.5 hrs. 1/4 acre tops. I charged him $225.00
I got e mail this morning from him saying that his wife said I was only there an 1 hr to 1.5 hrs each time and could I drop the price to $100.

Are you kidding me????

I'm going to tell him no one will do a clean up for $100 and I am probably on the cheaper side to begin with.

Darryl G
12-06-2011, 10:51 AM
This is why I ALWAYS discuss price. Not sure I'd call your pricing on the cheaper side ...maybe a little on the high side for 1/4 acre but depends on how many leaves and if you hauled them off etc. I would not get into discussion about others...keep it about you and what you did and what you charge, back up your charges basically. I would apologize for not telling them what to expect...this is your fault for not discussing price with them.

I keep a log book of my time on each property, to the minute. I even record my breaks to the minute and subtract them out. I have had people question the time I spent and I just read them my dates/times from my log and ask them if they'd like a copy. I had one guy argue over 15 minutes...his point of contention was that some of my time was spent out at the curb loading and unloading my equipment and not on his property...give me a break, lol.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Don't you just love how cheap people get this time of year. I really have little sympathy for them and this is why 3 employees and 2 owners on salary MY labor costs per day are 700-800 dollars that's with out including anything else.

I think your price was perfectly acceptable I only have a handful of clean ups cheaper then that and they are way smaller then 1/4 acre lots.

Patriot Services
12-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Guy's will you please stop working on loosely termed agreements. Furthermore price the job, not hourly. Working on a per hour basis would make me feel like an employee of the customer.:usflag:

Keegan
12-06-2011, 12:04 PM
I know I screwed up about giving him a heads up on the price. I also keep a log book and the clock starts the minute I pull up. It's not the first time he's gone "cheap" on me.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Guy's will you please stop working on loosely termed agreements. Furthermore price the job, not hourly. Working on a per hour basis would make me feel like an employee of the customer.:usflag:

Thumbs Up :clapping:

Darryl G
12-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I know I screwed up about giving him a heads up on the price. I also keep a log book and the clock starts the minute I pull up. It's not the first time he's gone "cheap" on me.

All the more reason to discuss price first. With that said, I don't discuss price with my regular customers, but they know what my rate is. In fact, I don't discuss fall cleanups with most of them at all, I just do it and send a bill.

Patriot Services
12-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Offer to return 60% of the leaves and add a delivery charge.
Posted via Mobile Device

TTM42
12-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Around my neck of the woods that price is high as well, if I charged that much for around 4 hrs worth of work I would hear about it as well but I guess it all depends on your location.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-07-2011, 12:30 AM
At that rate $65-$75 per hour, LOL

grass-scapes
12-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Offer to return 60% of the leaves and add a delivery charge.
Posted via Mobile Device

second this....LOL

Darryl G
12-07-2011, 07:05 PM
At that rate $65-$75 per hour, LOL

Less if he had to haul off the leaves.

FLC2000
12-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I had a customer e mail before the leaves fell that he wanted me to do a clean up. No price was discussed. Just do it.
I came there twice for a total of 3.5 hrs. 1/4 acre tops. I charged him $225.00
I got e mail this morning from him saying that his wife said I was only there an 1 hr to 1.5 hrs each time and could I drop the price to $100.

Are you kidding me????

I'm going to tell him no one will do a clean up for $100 and I am probably on the cheaper side to begin with.

Uh, thats only 30 minutes off when he said 1.5 hours twice. Did you explain that to him?