PDA

View Full Version : LED C9 Dud Rate

CleanCut1
12-06-2011, 01:59 PM
For those who sell LED, what is your estimated dud rate (bulbs that don't work right out of the box) for C9's?

I'm estimating at around 1.5% to 2% from my bulbs. Is this normal?

David Gretzmier
12-07-2011, 01:23 AM
In a box of 1000 I got from HBL a couple of years back I had 3-4 that were not working, so 2% sounds about right. we have one 400 bulb plus job that uses those, and we replaced about 20 of those during the rehang this year, which seems about the same for an incan job on those that are not broken, just brighties and burned out ones on a normal year 3.

addictedtolandscaping
12-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Has anyone used anything other than the LED's from HBL??

I got a call from Bastion Technologies in Utah yesterday and also use slot of product from Christmas designers - their m5- conical are unbelievable.

yard_smart
12-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Has anyone used anything other than the LED's from HBL??

I got a call from Bastion Technologies in Utah yesterday and also use slot of product from Christmas designers - their m5- conical are unbelievable.

I think you mean 5mm ??? http://store.christmasdesigners.com/LED-Christmas-Lights/5-mm-Wide-Angle-Conical/Pro-Series/

and yes they ROCK added about 10 cases to our stock this year.

We exclusively switched to CDI this year. We were using reinders but CDI was able to save me a lil money and their customer service is outstanding.

They goofed up a order on a 13k job we had to do and over nighted a $5500 order to us to make sure we had it in time. Now that is service!!!!

Jason is a great guy an easy to work with and I like that the c7s are packages in bags vs boxes. Great product Great People

turf hokie
12-07-2011, 07:46 AM
We only use CD c9 led bulbs, we dont see out of the box failures that are even worth talking about, and rehangs have such a small amount that fail I honestly have not even tracked it.

Sorry I cant help out with the other vendors, I have gotten samples from several distributors and manufacturers and none of them were even close to the color or quality that I get from CD 5 diode warm white c9.

CleanCut1
12-07-2011, 11:08 AM
I haven't bought any C9's or mini's from HBL.

I bought C9's from ChristmasLightsandMore and from Novelty Lights. The ones from CLM are made by Dekra-Lite and are 5 diode. They have a negligible dud rate, but are not very bright. The ones from Novelty Lights have no manufacturer stamp and are 3 diode. They have a high dud rate and sometimes mix a few warm whites in with boxes of cool white (nothing more frustrating than turning on the lights and seeing a dud or the wrong color at the highest peak). But, the Novelty Light bulbs are super bright. I haven't had time to test any other bulbs this season, but would like to find a reliable, bright bulb at a good price for next year.

Since this is my first full season, I don't know how any of the lights hold up over time.

I bought 5mm mini's from Village Lighting, Novelty Lights and CDI. In my opinion, CDI is the best. I would like to hear a review from anyone who has used CDI's C9 or C7 bulbs.

turf hokie
12-07-2011, 12:13 PM
I bought 5mm mini's from Village Lighting, Novelty Lights and CDI. In my opinion, CDI is the best. I would like to hear a review from anyone who has used CDI's C9 or C7 bulbs.

see my post above yours.

CleanCut1
12-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Sorry Hokie, when I said CDI I meant Christmas Designers Incorporated. I think you thought I meant Christmas Decor.

Can anyone give a review on Christmas Designer's LED C9's?

I did two houses today. One was 170 feet, very tall and obstructed, required a lift. Three bulbs were duds - of course at the highest peak. The other house was 132 feet and seven bulbs were duds.

turf hokie
12-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Sorry Hokie, when I said CDI I meant Christmas Designers Incorporated. I think you thought I meant Christmas Decor.

Can anyone give a review on Christmas Designer's LED C9's?

I did two houses today. One was 170 feet, very tall and obstructed, required a lift. Three bulbs were duds - of course at the highest peak. The other house was 132 feet and seven bulbs were duds.

Yeah, I did, sorry....

wurkn with amish
12-11-2011, 10:09 AM
box of 400 from Brite Ideas......now on number 27dud. frustrating

David Gretzmier
12-15-2011, 01:19 AM
I got 200 led warm white 5 diodes from Lite Source, and one was a dud. that would be 5 out of 1000. They also bag as opposed to box. but they tend to be more expensive that others I have seen out there.

ChristmasDesigners
12-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the compliment DJ! We are very happy with our Pro Grade lights and our 5 mm conicals are holding up very well. This is all we use for our own installations for foliage lighting.

As far as our C7 and C9 replacement bulbs, we sell bulbs made by Minleon, which have a very low failure rate. Minleon is the only factory that actually test every bulb that comes off the factory floor. Our out of the box failure rate is about 1/2 of a percent or about 1 out of every 200. Typically we'll get about 6 to 7 seasons out of the bulbs or about 30 months on a year round application. We use about 20,000 bulbs a year so it gives us a good basis to keep tabs on the quality and failure rate.

We are testing some new bulbs that are made by Christmas USA. These use 2/3s less power than standard LED C7s and C9s and are just as bright. We tested about 10,000 of these this year and so far the results have been promising. If they continue to hold up over the next couple of weeks we'll be ready to introduce them into the market for the 2012 season.

Jason Woodward
ChristmasDesigners

CleanCut1
12-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the input Jason. I found your company late in the season after information was posted by another member on here. I ordered some bows and a few hundred 5mm conicals and was very impressed with the quality and service. I look forward to doing more business with you in the future.

David - Aren't the Litesource LED's made by Minleon as well? If so, you experienced a dud rate of .5% just as Jason reported.

As much as I like the sales guys, the service and the great pre-season sale prices from my current vendor, I have to go elsewhere. The last two cases, the dud rate has gone up to 8%.

ChristmasDesigners
12-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Yes LiteSource also sells Minleon. So the failure rate should be very low as well. We offer free replacement of any of our bulbs for 12 months from the date of purchase. I'm not sure, but I would think LiteSource would offer the same thing. There's such a low failure rate so it adds some extra confidence for the pro installers by knowing they can get replacements for up to one year.

Dave88LX
11-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Jason,

With your C9 LED 3 Piece Pro (http://store.christmasdesigners.com/LED-Christmas-Lights/C9-LED-Christmas-Lights-Stringers/C9-LED-Christmas-Lights-3-Piece-Pro-Series/) line being the same cost as your C9 LED Commercial Grade (http://store.christmasdesigners.com/LED-Christmas-Lights/C9-LED-Christmas-Lights-Stringers/C9-LED-Christmas-Lights-Stringers-Pro-Commerical-Series/), do you have any input on why to choose one over the other?

Main difference I can see is the length (26 bulbs @ 8" for 17.3' vs 25 bulbs @ 12" for 26'), Wire gauge (22 AWG vs. 20 AWG), and the max number of sets (70 vs 93). Colors on the multicolor look different as well.

Just want to know if there's anything else I am missing. Thank you.

Dave88LX
11-25-2012, 11:38 PM
I wanted to edit to add: the benefit of also being able to change the bulbs on the Pro line.