PDA

View Full Version : Need to Kill Ferns

Norcal3080
12-06-2011, 04:45 PM
New customer, lots of Indian Hawthornes, mature, rounded, low to ground. Many have some type of ferns growing through them. Too much to pull it all, no clearance between grade and bottom of Hawthorne. Anyone know of something to spray them with that will kill the fern, but not the shrub?
Thanks

Florida Gardener
12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Nope, you have to pull them out. Even if there was something that worked, you would have dead ferns in the hawthornes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
12-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Break out the HAND pruners and make a little clearance. Ferns are pretty hardy so it will be an ongoing detail for you. Pre m doesn't seem to phase them either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Norcal3080
12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
I was afraid someone was going to say that! Thanks for the response
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
12-06-2011, 05:16 PM
No fear. Just charge for the service.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-07-2011, 03:14 AM
Ronstar Flo or Sureguard. There is a reason why ferns are not listed as tolerant species .

Patriot Services
12-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I've read reports of injury to Indian Hawthorne and several other common Fl plants using Sureguard.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
12-08-2011, 02:10 AM
I have not seen any damage worse than glyphosate drift when using Sureguard or Ronstar as a directed spray with low drift spray equipment. All of my spray tips are air inducted and pressure regulated. Because I do not like what happens when plants absorb traces of glyphosate, my typical postemergent around shrubs is diquat. Drifting that will burn holes in leaves. Watering 30 minutes after applying a mix of diquat and either Sureguard or Ronstar will not reduce effectiveness of the application. Which also means if you got some on the shrubs, it is too late. However, watering in by the applicator is label mandated for Ronstar.

andyslawncare
12-12-2011, 08:38 PM
My chemical label binder is in the truck, but I think that indian hawthorne is not affected by Image. I don't think 'fern' is on the label, but Image does kill some broadleafs, maybe fern?

greendoctor
12-13-2011, 03:48 AM
I deal with several invasive ferns here. Image does not affect them at all or too slightly to be useful. I know Ronstar does.