PDA

View Full Version : Using my MAC computers and integrating to use on job

dmk395
12-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm trying to save myself from so many hours in the office preparing invoices, scheduling, billing etc, and more time in the field. As a growing business being able to see things first hand helps a lot. I have a Mac desktop and laptop, may buy a Ipad soon with Internet connection. For software all I use is excel, ms word and quickbooks. Anyone have any good setups? Would like to be a able to run a mobile office, where jobs and can be done, invoices left and be able to have all the info at my fingertips? Any help is much appreciated!

GreenI.A.
12-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I run my laptop in my truck with a small color printer as well. I Built a fiberglass storage unit over the transmision hump in the front of my crew cab, it has a draw that slides out with my laptop can mount to, and then I mounted the printer where the cushion for the middle seat was. I did it that way because I don't use the middle seat at all in this truck and when I fold down the senter seat/armrest it hides the printer and is a spot to hind the computer if I need. I run the internet with a wi-fi hot spot on my smart phone. I power it all with a power inverter but you can by 12 mobile printers and chargers for most laptops.

If you search Jim Lewis on here he has posted pics a few times of his truck set up as well.

I love my set up, I use it mainly for building proposals and designs for construction/irrigation/lighting jobs right on site. When I show it to the customer and something needs to be changes, I can walk right back out to the truck and make the changes. No more having to drive back and forth from he office to the customer with proposals or doing it all by phone/email. I find my closing rate much higher with this method. The other great thing is when I am sitting in the truck killing time during a quick rain shower or during some down time I can sit and do my weekly billing and pay my bills.

I am curently working to have an android app developped. I have a buddy who has built a few for otther small companies and we are trying to set something up for me. It will alow fert guys to fill out forms right from a smart phone or tablet, and irrigation/lighting service to fill out work orders right on site and it will automatically upload instanly to a program online.

dmk395
12-07-2011, 07:36 PM
What kind of smartphone do u use for internet? My blackberry is horrible

GreenI.A.
12-07-2011, 09:40 PM
What kind of smartphone do u use for internet? My blackberry is horrible

I currently have the Casio Commando II, its a Verizon Android. This model is not for sale yet, it was suposed to be out this year but I just herd they are holding it off its release until next sring/summer. Some of the Verizon stores and the Verizon site have the original Casio Commando that they launched this past spring, its a ruggedized smart phone thats shock/drop resistant, water dust resistant. The newer version that I have is basically the same just a little more resistant to water and drops than the original. It's great for this line of work, you don't have to worry about having a bulky cover to try t protect your phone.

Jobber
12-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi dmk395,

My company makes cloud based software that sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for. It's called Jobber (http://www.getjobber.com) — our software allows you to manage your customer relationships, handle quoting, job management, billing and invoicing, employee scheduling and a lot more all from an easy to use interface that you can access from all of your computers, smart phones and iPad when you get one. We also integrate with QuickBooks so you can keep your books up to date and avoid any unnecessary double entry.

We're constantly improving the software and adding new features in response to user demand. You can sign up for a no-commitment 30 day free trial at www.getjobber.com.

Feel free to get in touch with me at sam@getjobber.com if you have any specific questions or would like a hand getting set up.

Cheers,
Sam