PDA

View Full Version : aerator and money

Thanksman
12-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok .. i have a question (as i dont want to turn away a customer). I can not afford a core aerator at this point in time. I have a customer who wants there lawn aerated and overseeded in spring. Would i be wasting my time as well as my customers money to use a tine aerator pull behind mon mower, or a none powered walkbehind? followed by a reseeding. :confused:

Ridin' Green
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Most of the tow behind types have way too small of teeth on them, and don't open a large enough slit, plus the slit usually closes before it's been in the ground long enough to be of any use. There are certain tine type aerators that work great, but they are normally seen on compact utility tractors with 3 pt hitches, and have very heavy duty, large, thick tines on them.

You should be able to find a plug type pull behind on craigs list right now for a decent price since winter is setting in and most people could use the cash for other things. The prices generally go way back up in the spring time.

944own
12-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Just rent the unit and work it into the price. good luck

Ijustwantausername
12-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Just rent one, plug types are wayy wayy better than the tine type.

Darryl G
12-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Ditto on the renting, either a walk behind or a pro-quality tow behind depending on the lawn. Or skip the aerator if the primary reason is seeding and rent a slit seeder...you will get better results.

Reliable 1
12-07-2011, 05:34 PM
I have a Blue Bird that I would be wiling to sell if you might be interested.

Thanksman
12-07-2011, 05:45 PM

TY. .. but i am going to rent and hopefully save up for one. i appreciate the help. I will buy one when i have a few jobs that require that of me.
Posted via Mobile Device

MowingMowingMowing
12-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Isn't it a bit late in the season to aerate? Around here it is all done end of September - Mid October ...

If it is the norm there, ask your other customers if they are interested, rent the aerator, and do them all in a day.

Darryl G
12-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Isn't it a bit late in the season to aerate? Around here it is all done end of September - Mid October ...

If it is the norm there, ask your other customers if they are interested, rent the aerator, and do them all in a day.

He said in spring. :p

Thanksman
12-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Yes it is very late. i am talking about for spring time... and yes.. great idea on doing them all at once..
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
12-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I say if you think you can line up several for aerating, screw renting one. The cost of a rental for an entire day will be equal to what many decent pull behind units cost.

Thanksman
12-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I say if you think you can line up several for aerating, screw renting one. The cost of a rental for an entire day will be equal to what many decent pull behind units cost.

do you have any reccomendations on a pull behind?
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
12-07-2011, 07:10 PM

I dunno about that...the pull behinds I've looked at weren't cheap for a 4 footer...around $1K (Classen, Bluebird, Husqvarna).

Ridin' Green
12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I have a 48" unit that I use behind one of my tractors that runs about $400 at the local Deere dealer. It's made for them by Brinly-Hardy, but to Deere's specs, which makes it a lot heavier duty than the B-H version (and it also has pneumatic tires for flotation) sold at the big box stores. It has a weight tray that allows adding weight to help penetrate hard ground better, and a couple different depths settings. It does an outstanding job too.

It may not be ideal for full time commercial work, but then again, you don't aerate all summer long either, and for lining up several yards to do at one time, it works great. I just don't see buying the most expensive units out there to have for only occassional use.

Darryl G
12-07-2011, 07:20 PM
OK, as long as we're not talking Agri-Fab or something...those units don't look like they'd hold up very well or do a very good job.

Ridin' Green
12-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I thought I had a picture to post up, but can't find it right now. I've had this one for several years now, and it still looks like new, but then again, I'm probably more fussy about my equipment than many people might be. The one I have is a plugger, not a spiker type in case I forgot to mention that before.

While the info says 48" in this link, the picture is of a 40" version. They have a lot less plugs than the 48" version. IIRC, mine has 40 plugging spoons, and the 40" version has 28.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/attachment/riding_mowers/yard_and_lawn_care/48_inch_plug_aerator/48_inch_plug_aerator.page

jequigle
12-07-2011, 07:57 PM

I can rent one for less than $100 for a full day..

Ridin' Green
12-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Around me, rebat;s are a bit more than that per day, and you have to add rental insurance and tax on top of that, so the cost is well above $100 p/day.

If you read my posts above you'll see that I said that I see them like mine on CL all the time for about half of new, and lately a couple exactly like mine for $150 in excellent condition.

I like having one for my own yard, and use whenever I want it, and on top of that, buying one makes it yours and it will always be in good condition, ready to go and do a good job unlike a lot of rental equipment. Then there's the driving to and from the rental shop to get it back in time so that you don't end up paying for another day, etc etc. I also don't like to have to try to line up lawns to do, the weather, and rental availability. It seldom works out to my favor.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-07-2011, 08:08 PM
We have a rental comp. here in my town that is not open on Sat. or Sun., so I rent the machine on Friday and it isn't due back til Monday for $85, call around and find one atleast not open on Sundays to get a free day, lol

Ridin' Green
12-07-2011, 08:11 PM
We have a rental comp. here in my town that is not open on Sat. or Sun., so I rent the machine on Friday and it isn't due back til Monday for $85, call around and find one atleast not open on Sundays to get a free day, lol

I hear ya there. Whenever I do rent something, I always try to do just that.

seabee003
12-08-2011, 08:58 AM
I thought I had a picture to post up, but can't find it right now. I've had this one for several years now, and it still looks like new, but then again, I'm probably more fussy about my equipment than many people might be. The one I have is a plugger, not a spiker type in case I forgot to mention that before.

While the info says 48" in this link, the picture is of a 40" version. They have a lot less plugs than the 48" version. IIRC, mine has 40 plugging spoons, and the 40" version has 28.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/attachment/riding_mowers/yard_and_lawn_care/48_inch_plug_aerator/48_inch_plug_aerator.page

I have the 40" version. Wish I had the 48" but at the time the dealer thought it would be too much weight for the tractor I had then. It works great especially the day after a rain or irrigation (as long as the soil is not too wet).

Couple of points to consider. First, I find you need to make a relatively wide turn to keep the plugging spoon from tearing the turf. Second, getting on and off the unit to pull the manual lever to go over sidewalks or other obstructions can get tedious. I wish JD would sell an electrical actuator to lift the tines. It would not be that hard to configure. Finally, it might be a bit difficulat to use efficiently on small lawns with complicated beds.

On open areas it is fast and pulls excellent plugs. Replacement plugging spoons are inexpensive and very easy to change.

I use it to do my yard and a few of my neighbors in the spring and the fall. Unit is about 10 years old and looks like new. These are 1-1.5 acres lots with about 0.5 acre of manicured lawn.

What do you pull yours with? I currently use JD 4x6 Gator which is a beast.

Darryl G
12-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Ditto on the getting on/off to raise the tines. It does get old. The Classen unit comes set up for using as either a tow behind unit or 3-point tractor hitch, which is more convenient but has it's down side of requiring a tractor.

Thanksman
12-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Great info... i want to make the lawn healthy... not just go threw the motions.. if ya know what i mean. ty

Ridin' Green
12-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I have the 40" version. Wish I had the 48" but at the time the dealer thought it would be too much weight for the tractor I had then. It works great especially the day after a rain or irrigation (as long as the soil is not too wet).

Couple of points to consider. First, I find you need to make a relatively wide turn to keep the plugging spoon from tearing the turf. Second, getting on and off the unit to pull the manual lever to go over sidewalks or other obstructions can get tedious. I wish JD would sell an electrical actuator to lift the tines. It would not be that hard to configure. Finally, it might be a bit difficulat to use efficiently on small lawns with complicated beds.

On open areas it is fast and pulls excellent plugs. Replacement plugging spoons are inexpensive and very easy to change.

I use it to do my yard and a few of my neighbors in the spring and the fall. Unit is about 10 years old and looks like new. These are 1-1.5 acres lots with about 0.5 acre of manicured lawn.

What do you pull yours with? I currently use JD 4x6 Gator which is a beast.

I agree with all of this. An electric lift system of some type would be usable on all lawn and/or garden tractors, and would make the unit almost perfect IMO.

I use an old JD 240 garden tractor now, but I have owned many JD's, and have used most of them at one time or another.

I've been fortunate in that I seldom do lawns that require me to get on and off to raise/lower the unit. The few times that I have to, it isn't a big deal. I know plugging after watering of any type makes it easier, but unless the ground I need to do is hard clay that hasn't seen water for some time, I prefer to plug when it's been dry for a few days. I add 3 70lb, and one 42 lb suitcase weight(s) to the tray, and the spoons have no problem going full depth. Doing it this way gets me the penetration and good plugging I'm looking for, but keeps the tearing the turf on turns to a bare minimum.

I have a smaller CUT that I could use a 3 pt unit on, but then you start having to worry about rutting if the ground has much moisture in it at the time. I am thinking about buying one for it though, and using it when and where I can do so without causing damage.

BOSS LAWN 2343
01-17-2012, 04:42 AM

Still have the BlueBird?

Reliable 1
01-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes I still have the machine. PM me if you are interested.

RigglePLC
01-17-2012, 05:03 PM
you might think about...skip the aeration and just plant more seed. Spreading seed is easy, and if you sow plenty--then if a few don't germinate--no worries. You could probably even charge the customer for double seed if you used double. Drag a rake around to work it into the soil and thatch layer.

weeble67
01-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Advertise to all your customers and maybe even buy some postcards to mail to other residents in the area. Then rent a machine and do it. Or keep looking around and buy a used walk behind unit. They do beat you a bit, but the money you can make is great. I aerate in the spring and in the fall. Most of my aerating customers have been on my aerating customer list for several years. Word of mouth is great, and when neighbors see you often times they will come out and ask for a quote.