PDA

View Full Version : What makes an employer GREAT?

PTP
12-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Last year was a record year for our company - by a large margin. I employ 6 guys and I am pretty sure that I am at or near the top of the pay scale in my area.

But next year I need to get better - much better. I want to be the absolute best lawn care company to work for in the state.

So, for those of you who work for LCO's or those who own the LCO's, what makes a great employer? Aside from straight up wages, what things like bonuses, equipment, perks, company structure, etc make a company the absolute best to work for?

srl28
12-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Its dozens of things, and I don't quite feel like typing out a novel right now but some of the things that come to my mind first are:

company culture-How everyone gets along, haveing a common goal in mind (the goals of the company),

proper and well maintainted trucks, equipment, facilities so the job can get done without other variables like broken tools, etc getting in the way.

Some freedom to do what they feel needs to be done and express themselves in their work, flex their expertise in what they do but ALSO have a supervisor, owner, leader, foreman, etc who explains the days duties and tasks well so that everyone on board knows what needs to be done, how and in what time.

idealscape
12-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I took this advice and never forgot it. Never think about your company as "yours". If you notice when I type or talk about my company, I don't say "I" or "mine"...I use the words; we, us or our. Your company is only as strong as your employees. This doesn't mean give away the farm with bonuses or incentives...just treat them with respect and do your best to make them feel like they are the reason your company is as successful as it is.

If all else fails...buy one of these and cook on it at least 2x's a month for the guys! Works for me.....

PTP
12-07-2011, 05:50 PM
That is interesting what you mentioned about the equipment.

I was driving home today and I drove past a Chinese take out place that I had been to once before - I learned my lesson and didn't go back. Their sign outside had been partially covered over with a different word in order to change the name. It was obvious and very unprofessional. The rest of the sign was faded and had holes in it from weathering. The building more or less matched the sign.

When I saw the sign, it said to me that if I went into this business, they would take as much as they could from me and would give as little as possible. The condition of the sign told me that the owners were trying to siphon off as much as they could from the business and that they would cut corners wherever possible. My previous experience confirmed that.

PTP
12-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I took this advice and never forgot it. Never think about your company as "yours". If you notice when I type or talk about my company, I don't say "I" or "mine"...I use the words; we, us or our. Your company is only as strong as your employees. This doesn't mean give away the farm with bonuses or incentives...just treat them with respect and do your best to make them feel like they are the reason your company is as successful as it is.

If all else fails...buy one of these and cook on it at least 2x's a month for the guys! Works for me.....

I like that idea! I have done that before but not nearly often enough.

wbw
12-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Two things.

1) Empower them to make decisions and then stand behind them.

2) Just treat them the way you want to be treated.

You are looking at the right things. Employees are the key. William Marriott said that the customer wasn't number 1, the employee was. If you don't treat your employees right, they won't treat your customers right. If I have to replace one or the other, I find it much easier to replace a customer.