PDA

View Full Version : Bought My first truck 97 F 350 7.3

hockeyman20
12-07-2011, 06:46 PM
First off im 16, ive been working my ass off since i could walk for this. i finally bought my dream truck. I got an 8.5 fisher mm2 with it, 150k. I was just wondering if theres anything you guys would suggest to put on it for work and or fun purposes?

Thnaks adam

Swampy
12-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Pictures would help.

You say it has a plow. Does it have a strobe or light bar to it? If you get more into pushing snow, look at getting a salter for it as well. Depending on condition, bed liner the lower doors, door jams, cab corners, rocker panels.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-08-2011, 12:00 AM
I would recommend running synthetic oil to make it last as long as possible. Run an oil analysis every 10K as well so you will know if your dream truck is getting ready to turn into a nightmare.

I had a 97 F250 and my 7.3 went south at 173K. If I had run oil analysis I would have know it was going to tank. Good luck.

Deori
12-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Wow, I can't believe your 7.3 tanked at 173K, it's such a revered engine by Ford fans on here. Hell I've got more than that on my puny 4.2 F-150. Where is a good place to get an oil analysis done? Excuse my ignorance, but I hear people talk about having them done though I've never seen the service offered anywhere. And congratulations on your truck Adam!

I would recommend running synthetic oil to make it last as long as possible. Run an oil analysis every 10K as well so you will know if your dream truck is getting ready to turn into a nightmare.

I had a 97 F250 and my 7.3 went south at 173K. If I had run oil analysis I would have know it was going to tank. Good luck.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-08-2011, 09:03 AM
If you buy oil from Amsoil or Schaeffer they will give you a sample kit for about $20. My local sales guy for Schaeffer does my tests for free. There are other sources as well. The 7.3 was Fords most popular engine but it was not nearly built as stout as the 12 valve or 24 valve Cummins that was built at the same time.

The Cummins had a much stronger block, pistons, rods, and other parts. The Cummins was really a detuned race engine. The early Cummins is really the Chevy 350 of the Diesel world.

There are lots of guys who have swapped out the 7.3. 6.0, and even 6.4 for a Cummins. There are multiple companies that specialize in these swap outs. You will find zero companies that make parts for removing a Cummins or D-max and installing a 7.3 or any Powerstroke.