PDA

View Full Version : church bulletin

Wecutgrass
12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Are church bulletin's an effective way of advertising. I got a quote today for 7 dollars a week for a single space which comes out to 336 dollars a year or 12.50 a week for a double space which comes out to 600 dollars a year. Do church bulletin's pay off? I am just wondering because i am thinking about putting my ad in some church bulletins. The ads would go in multiple churches in the area.

meets1
12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I have never heard of church bulletin placing ad's. I guess it passes the sermon time away while we all read ad's.

Wecutgrass
12-07-2011, 10:03 PM
i was thinking if i could get one lawn off of it a year i would still make about 400 dollars off the ad. do you think it would be a good idea?

KrayzKajun
12-07-2011, 10:09 PM
ive thought about it. i may finally do it this year!

Wecutgrass
12-07-2011, 10:10 PM
haha ya same with me. I thought about it a lot last year and I think this year im going to put the plan into motion
Posted via Mobile Device

meets1
12-07-2011, 10:19 PM
You guys actually have churchs that place ad's in there bulletins? I must be seeing to much corn and cattle in my parts!!

Wecutgrass
12-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Yup! there's a whole Legal size page they hand out to the whole congregation every mass. I hope it works! I want to hear some ones input who has used this marketing strategy before.
Posted via Mobile Device

USA Lawn Care
12-07-2011, 10:59 PM
1.Yes, they are an effective way of advertising. I speak from experience and they have been the main source of my advertising. Parishoners tend to patronize the sponsors of the bulletin but do your research first and choose your areas wisely. It can still be a crap shoot sometimes and if an ad is not effective by the end of the year, you can always remove it and spend your money with another church bulletin.
2. What is an effective ad. You might think that if you only get one call a year, that it is not effective. But, like you said, even if you get one client from it, you came out ahead and referrals and next door neighbor mowing accounts can all come from your one customer you gained from the one ad.
3. The price you quoted is what we pay. Anywhere from $300-$350 per space so it is not out of line.
4. I have a church around the corner we advertise in and it seems that I get a call a month about mowing, snow removal, etc. My experience with ads like this is that they should get you 5 new accounts per year per ad or (around here), that's about $5000. Not a bad return on $350.
5. The company that prints the bulletin....call them and see what other churches they provide bulletins for and there is probably a multi-ad discount available (meaning an ad in multiple churches).

6. see when their calendar year run from and to. If it begins in Feb, and you put the ad in there in feb, you will pay for the year. If it begins in June and you start the ad in Feb, you will be paying a pro rated price and in June you will have another bill for the next billing year of June to May......fyi. Call and talk to the bulletin people about all the pricing.
7. Look at it this way. If you can put $3000/ yr into 10 bulletins and they each bring you 5 customers....that's 50 new customers......in my area that's a minimum of $50,000. Do that again the next year. You've got the $50,000 and the same ads generate another 5 customers each.......now you're at 100 or $100,000. If each ad brings you less, sink more money into more ads and it will all catch up soon.
8. They work.
9. As for advertising in church bulletins....it's simply a way to offset the cost of the printing that the church does. Just like buying a t-shirt at a 5k race....there are sponsors on the back and that pays for the shirts. Printing bulletins every week can get quite expensive. It's a win-win situation.

need anymore info, pm me.....would be glad to help.

KrayzKajun
12-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
12-07-2011, 11:04 PM
O my! Thanks so much! I'm going ahead with the bulletins, I called the bulletin man and he prints all the church bulletins for all the church's in the surrounding area. I'm gonng to try and get into 5 bulletins this year and see how that works and then if it turns out good ill spend more into that and less on other advertising methods
Posted via Mobile Device

USA Lawn Care
12-07-2011, 11:45 PM
do your research on the number of registered parishoners at the particular church and think about the income averages of the area. Larger parishes have a better chance of winning at the #'s game of advertising. 5 to start with is a nice number to test the waters.

The $1000+/customer number is simply an average from mowing. There's always the extras that go along with that.

Best of luck.

Wecutgrass
12-07-2011, 11:49 PM
thanks, plus the referrals from the new customers from the church, I'm excited to see how this turns out.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
12-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Not gonna lie, for some reason it's a bit disturbing to me that churches are selling space for advertisements. IMO Sundays and Church should be dedicated to God, not business.

But if you feel it's right for you then go for it...

corey4671
12-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Not gonna lie, for some reason it's a bit disturbing to me that churches are selling space for advertisements. IMO Sundays and Church should be dedicated to God, not business.

not to get off topic here, but I agree with this statement. A church is not in the business of generating revenue. Granted that the church may claim that the advertising offsets the cost of the bulletin my question is where are they wasting money to could otherwise be appropriated to pay for the printing cost? I mean what next? Will the preacher have advertising on his suit like a NASCAR driver in order to pay his salary?

THEGOLDPRO
12-08-2011, 01:36 AM
I actually had a local church call me last week and ask me if i wanted to buy into the bulletin, I was almost speechless and told him i would think about it. They were asking like $450 for the year or something.

GMLC
12-08-2011, 09:17 AM
I believe the church bulletin gets taken home to read latter(or read before service) and the proceeds from the ads help the church. Great way to advertise and support the church. Oh..and its deductible as a donation.

jvanvliet
12-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Advertise consistently. Not sure about a church ad, too many people think I'm a charity already
Posted via Mobile Device

whosedog
12-08-2011, 10:01 AM

Our CRC doesn't allow commercial ads in bulletins,the Catholic churches in my area do.It's not a bad thing, that way you support the business of your fellow church members .In smaller churches most folk know by word of mouth who does what,but in a larger church the only way to reach everyone is through advertising.