PDA

View Full Version : Losing New Plants

Norcal3080
12-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Any ideas on that would cause this? Planted 10 camelias about a month ago, only had one freeze (light) since. 6 of 10 look fine, 4 the leaves are shriveling up and looking as if they are wilting. Water was on every other day. Turned off for one full week. The attached pics are after water has been shut off for a week. Dug one up, soil a tad damp (after no water for one week), only condensate and moisture from cool nights. Should I return them or let them keep trying? Thanks in advance for the help.

Smallaxe
12-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Pull a couple up and check the root ball for discoloration and be sure there is lots of moisture satuating through to the center of the rootzone...

Looks like lack of water rather than too much water, but could also be disease...

This is what you're looking for in the root zone... be sure to thoroughly soak for a couple of days when placing them back in their spots...

gunsnroses
12-09-2011, 09:54 AM
A closer pic would be better, but I am gonna go out on a limb and say what you have looks like a hibiscus. It also looks to me like they were transplanted...I am with the axe and more water. Change the schedule, soak it every 4 days or so. The plant quality looks pretty bad, if you purchased these you may want to look for a new supplier.

Norcal3080
12-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the responses. I think you are right on hibiscus. My mistake. Not transplants, looked
good when first planted, then downhill. Will try more water....thought maybe had too much being that soil still moist after one week with irrigation turned off but maybe they require more...will research.
Posted via Mobile Device

mdlwn1
12-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Air under the rootball could do that.