PDA

View Full Version : When starting a business....

J-Thomas
12-09-2011, 04:45 PM
How many of you, when starting, include winter season. I understand that this is based on where you live, but I was wondering the amount of people that do both.

I've noticed that the percentage of landscapers that do snow removal is higher than the percentage of snow removal guys do landscaping.

Hm... When you started your business did you offer snow removal? If indeed it snows in your area?

I am Andrew from J-Thomas and it is my goal to listen to the lawnsite members and provide them with what they need with J-Thomas. The best driveway markers (http://www.j-thomas.com/Portal.aspx?CN=BB8429398B7C) are on sale right now if you head over to our facebook page, you'll see more details.

RGM
12-09-2011, 05:03 PM
I would think most lawn care landscaper that live in areas that have snow try to do snow removal. The problem is to many other guys do it also a lot of construction home improvement and other contractors do it too.

J-Thomas
12-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I would think most lawn care landscaper that live in areas that have snow try to do snow removal. The problem is to many other guys do it also a lot of construction home improvement and other contractors do it too.

Good point. I wonder if that causes businesses that are starting to stay clear of snow removal.

RGM
12-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Good point. I wonder if that causes businesses that are starting to stay clear of snow removal.

I know that sometimes when I pick up a new lawn they have a regular guy that does their snow

32vld
12-10-2011, 12:42 AM
How many of you, when starting, include winter season. I understand that this is based on where you live, but I was wondering the amount of people that do both.

I've noticed that the percentage of landscapers that do snow removal is higher than the percentage of snow removal guys do landscaping.

The reason you have noticed your percentages are as follows:

Many people feel snow plowing is easy money when they see a guy driving around getting paid a hundred for this place a hundreds for that place. And all this side money can be made over a short season instead of having to work part time job all year. So enticed by their first impressions they give plowing a try.

The people that already own a pickup only need to put a plow on and are in business plowing.

Though very few of those pickup people already have a large mower and small mower, trailer, blower line trimmer, hedge trimmer, etc, so they will need to spend a lot more money to start LCO business.

Also people perceive mowing a lawn in the hot summer harder work then sitting in a heated cab playing plow jockey.

Then as most people are scraping up every penny to buy what is needed to landscape can't raise the funds to buy landscape equipment and buy snow removal equipment at the same time.

I did lanscaping when young. Having lost my job at past 50 found myself doing residential snow blowing for extra money for three years.
After the third season I decide to go from snow to landscaping. Only because I already had all the equipment that I needed to start.

ralph02813
12-10-2011, 05:47 AM
A couple of reasons i decide not to: my truck is a 1999, my night vision is not what it used to be, and the cold kills my hands, I'm 65 and don't have to :-)

LindblomRJ
12-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Moving snow is how I got started into the landscaping the first time around. The construction guys have loaders, skidsteer loads, backhoe loaders, trucks etc. To keep their crews and equipment busy they move snow as well.

Ralph I don't blame you. I hope I am some place warm and tropical when I am 65.