PDA

View Full Version : insurance claim consultation pricing?

Jacey
12-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi!~I normally charge a minimal ammount to do my initial consult on a landscape job, but I have a call from someone who wants me to estimate cost of repairs to lawn covered by insurance. i don't want to lowball it if there is an industry standard as to what I can charge for this. Especially since I may be one of a few people he needs to do this and may not get the job. Anybody out there have experience or advice?

Thanks!

Dr.NewEarth
12-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Any time I have been asked to do an insurance claim, it was expected to be "a free estimate". They are only looking for a low ball number.

I have found insurance claims to be a waste of time. The insurance companies refuse to pay for consultations. I would run away.

Jacey
12-10-2011, 03:01 PM
THANX..that's what I was wondering.

txgrassguy
12-12-2011, 11:45 AM
What to charge all depends upon your level of qualification.

The state of Texas recognizes Turfgrass Agronomists as a specialized field falling under an "expert" category - however, to be identified as such usually requires a B.S. degree in Agronomy plus a C.P.O. and Irrigation license and some verifiable experience. And simply running a LCO does not constitute either the level of qualification needed nor experience.

Additionally: compensation is not an industry standard rather directly attributed to your qualifications unless you are conducting an assay needed for a professional maintenance program complete with soil/water samples, etc. and charge for sampling/IPM implementation. I charge according to the USGA standard rate for their staff Agronomists but then again I can receive these fees due to my status. Doesn't happen often but enough to make the report issuance worth the computer and sampling time.

Which leads me to ask what are your qualifications, undergraduate degree, license(s) held, etc - you do have at least the C.P.O and Irrigation license, don't you?

If not, all you are being asked for is an estimate needed for the property owner to submit a claim probably due to the wild fire damage from this year = a massive waste of time unless you indicate with-in the estimate that contact by others not the property owner for items such as deposition or expert advice and/or testimony are billed at a separate rate.

Otherwise your "estimate" will be picked apart by the insurance weenies unless you indicate on the estimate a per hour charge to speak with them buttressed by verifiable expertise.

Regarding insurance companies refusal to pay for consultation, well that is disingenuous advice at best. More likely anecdotal as I have found, repeatedly I might ad, that in the state of Texas where I operate, insurance companies DO PAY for both on-site and telephonic consultations as long as you have the required qualifications.

Personally I like dealing with insurance companies but then again I suspect I have a great deal more experience with them than you.