PDA

View Full Version : How much lots can I do?

kebrowns
12-10-2011, 08:54 PM
I am currently working full time. Trying to venture into the lawn care business how much lawns can a solo operator cut per week with my mentioned below equipment. I also intend to do some spraying. I already know I am mainly equipped for residential and some small businesses probably no more than 8-1000Sqft. Please help with realistic answers.

36" zero walk behind Bobcat.
Detachable: Edger, Trimmer, Blower
21 inch mower.

cpllawncare
12-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Do one and time yourself.

RGM
12-10-2011, 11:44 PM
I am currently working full time. Trying to venture into the lawn care business how much lawns can a solo operator cut per week with my mentioned below equipment. I also intend to do some spraying. I already know I am mainly equipped for residential and some small businesses probably no more than 8-1000Sqft. Please help with realistic answers.

36" zero walk behind Bobcat.
Detachable: Edger, Trimmer, Blower
21 inch mower.

Those lawn sizes are smaller then most row home/town home size lawns. What are you spraying. How many days/hours are you planing to work. Are you getting license and insurance. I could cut 20-30 town homes an 8 hr day with that equipment solo.

kebrowns
12-11-2011, 10:34 AM
I am currently studying for the lawn applicator test. looking to take that test next month. Probably will be spraying the regular stuff people ask for around here like pre and post emergent and insect stuff. I am looking into getting insurances had a quote for about 250 for the year. All ready have a business license not a commercial applicator license. After work I am looking into doing maybe 3 hours per day Mon - Friday and 8 hrs Saturdays. I also do pressure washing and gutter cleaning. I plan to do that on appointment on Saturday. But if this lawn care thing really picks up I would drop that side of the business.

kebrowns
12-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I timed my self. It takes me about 45min to do a 8000sqft lawn by myself. I dont know how some people say they can do 20-3o of those in a day with my same equipment.

Big Bad Bob
12-11-2011, 10:33 PM
I timed my self. It takes me about 45min to do a 8000sqft lawn by myself. I dont know how some people say they can do 20-3o of those in a day with my same equipment.

Is the 8000 sq ft the turf area or the property area? How many obstacles such as trees, bushes and landscape islands? Is this property level or does it have hills? You need to work on your efficiency. You should be able to do a lawn this size, with few obstacles and level in 30 minutes or less with you 36" wb. That includes string trimming and blow off.

THIESSENS TLC
12-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Definitely need to figure out where your losing time. 45mins is way too long, especially with a 36" mower! Also it depends on how far apart each house is, the closer they are the more you can do!
:)
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
12-12-2011, 12:33 AM
I can do a 10K yard in about 15 mins not including trimming and blowing with my 40"

Byerley
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
When I was trying to figure out how many yards I could do a day I would take a stop watch with me and as I was getting out of my truck I would start it and not stop it till I was back in my truck. always include your unload and loading time.

kebrowns
12-12-2011, 04:12 PM
what I meant to say is a 8000 spft yard with mow, trim, edge, and blow and three front bushes pruned would take me 45 minuntes. and its flat.

kebrowns
12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
also, its not all 8000 sqft thats the lot size.

Big Bad Bob
12-12-2011, 11:40 PM
First off, you didn't mention the bush trimming in the op. Are you going to trim those bushes on a weekly basis? Chances are very good that you won't. As an example I trim boxwood 3 times a year. You need to time the mow, trim and blowing off the hard surfaces and the beds, if needed.

ralph02813
12-13-2011, 08:25 AM
what I meant to say is a 8000 spft yard with mow, trim, edge, and blow and three front bushes pruned would take me 45 minuntes. and its flat.

First I think you need to seperate mowing from bush trimming unless you trim these bushes every time you cut.
I forget where I posted it here, but I have two customers side by side with the same size lot, one takes 15 minutes the other just under 30 one is flat one is way hilly.
If I was doing this, (in your flat yard) and it really took 15 mins, the counts taking gear off the truck/trailer and putting it back on I would charge $30.00 this includes trimming and blowing. The bushes or any other yard work except bush whacker or chain saw I charge $40.00 with 1/4. hr minimum, so the 3 bushes would be $20.00 unless they were really small (I would be doing them probably 3 times a year). Total stop $40-50.00.
I do this with all my accounts and general book $20 extra per stop I use this a part of my plan on how many accounts I can do in a day.