PDA

View Full Version : Off topic: Merry Christmas or happy Holiday's

jvanvliet
12-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Just for fun, wait for it; it'll be a worthy three minutes;

7E-47VmFopE

desert rose gardening
12-11-2011, 09:14 AM
When people say "Happy Holidays" to me I answer with "what holiday is it?" so far everyone says its Christmas, then I say Merry Christmas to you!

jvanvliet
12-11-2011, 10:13 AM
When people say "Happy Holidays" to me I answer with "what holiday is it?" so far everyone says its Christmas, then I say Merry Christmas to you!

Merry Christmas

jkIj94yepfU

DanaMac
12-11-2011, 10:48 AM
I have to disagree. it is the overall holiday season to me. Thanksgiving through New Years. Today, Sunday, isn't Christmas, so why should I say Merry Christmas today? I say and prefer Happy Holidays. Why is that so offensive to people? I don't get it.

Wet_Boots
12-11-2011, 11:45 AM
I say "Happy Festivus!" :)

jvanvliet
12-11-2011, 12:08 PM
I have to disagree. it is the overall holiday season to me. Thanksgiving through New Years. Today, Sunday, isn't Christmas, so why should I say Merry Christmas today? I say and prefer Happy Holidays. Why is that so offensive to people? I don't get it.

It doesn't offend me at all. People can say "happy Kwanza", "Happy Chanuka", "Happy Holidays" makes no difference to me. My saying "Merry Christmas" shouldn't create a political "correct speech" firestorm.

jvanvliet
12-11-2011, 12:09 PM
I say "Happy Festivus!" :)

And a Merry Bachanalia to you. :drinkup:

Wet_Boots
12-11-2011, 12:21 PM
and here I thought "speach" was a talking peach :p

1idejim
12-11-2011, 12:30 PM
you guys are silly :rolleyes:

jvanvliet
12-11-2011, 01:30 PM
and here I thought "speach" was a talking peach :p

I though I corrected that :o

mitchgo
12-13-2011, 03:20 AM
Just say Happy Holidays. It's generic and politically correct

I actually just stick with the ' you have a good day' and if they say happy holidays I will say you too.

It's not my business to know they're religion. I know if i said merry xmas to many of our indian client families ( from microsoft) I would probably be offending them.

It's the least of my worries this time of year. gots work to do!

jvanvliet
12-13-2011, 05:57 AM
*trucewhiteflag*

Remember when it was all about this?

mWiPxPHvpUM

:dancing:Different strokes for different folks; we've got to live together:dancing:

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year

You can't have happy in the same sentence twice. Christmas is the reason for the season.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
12-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Happy ThankMasYear :)

Patriot Services
12-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Which came first the Christmas or the holiday? If you want to wish me a Merry Yamaha I won't get offended. We celebrate both in my house.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanksman
12-13-2011, 10:19 AM
It doesn't offend me at all. People can say "happy Kwanza", "Happy Chanuka", "Happy Holidays" makes no difference to me. My saying "Merry Christmas" shouldn't create a political "correct speech" firestorm.agreed..........

Mike Leary
12-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Seems like whatever you say these days gets you into trouble: even saying "Have a nice day" has negative connotations. :dizzy:

DanaMac
12-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Seems like whatever you say these days gets you into trouble: even saying "Have a nice day" has negative connotations. :dizzy:

Yup. Maybe I would prefer to be a b!thcy, moody, brooding kind of attitude, and don't want any cheering up. :waving:

Mike Leary
12-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Yup. Maybe I would prefer to be a b!thcy, moody, brooding kind of attitude, and don't want any cheering up. :waving:

Have a nice day, Dana. :rolleyes:

DanaMac
12-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Have a nice day, Dana. :rolleyes:

Thanks buddy!!

Mike Leary
12-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Ahh, for simpler times:

GreenI.A.
12-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Myself I usually use happy holidays as its not worth it for the few customers that I could offend with saying the wrong term. For example I know a women whos last name is O'Sullivan with light skin and frekles. One would think it would be safe to assume she was Irish, most likely Catholic maybe protastan. Turns out she was raised Jewish, her father was 100% Irish Catholic and mother 100% Jewish straight from Isreal. She's very proud of her Jewish up bringing and gets very offended when people automatically assumes she and now her daughter, celebrate Christmas. I know that is a rear case and most people would either politely correct us or just go along with it.

One thing where the political correctness is helping me, we do Holiday lighting. 1/3 of my jobs this year where to no houses that celebrate holidays other than Christmas. No Christmas themed lights, no trees decorated in strictly red or green. But still great holiday lighting displays

GreenI.A.
12-13-2011, 03:26 PM
This actually reminded me of a story that was on the radio the other day. One of the Boston Radio hosts was at a Friendly's resteraunt and the Santa Clause was saying happy holidays and not Merry Christmas. Turns out the resteraunt's policy is that the employee whering the costume is to say Happy Holidays unless the customer says Merry Christmas first. It looks like they think all customers are 110% fine with eating their dinner or ice cream sunday with a Santa walking around, but that santa saying the word "Christmas" is just to far.

here is the link to the story
http://michaelgraham.com/archives/friendly-rsquo-s-restaurant-confirms-ldquo-we-ask-our-santa-rsquo-s-to-say-lsquo-happy-holidays-rsquo-rdquo/

irrig8r
12-13-2011, 04:33 PM

Don't get it either. "Happy Holidays" includes whatever other holidays one happens to observe, like this year when Hannukah coincides, and New Years.

Be grateful for other people's well wishes and greetings however they're phrased.

The historical Jesus was probably born in the spring anyway according to those biblical scholars who study history and astronomy. Christmas was just a way for the church to usurp and absorb existing pagan traditions (Saturnalia, the Solstice) and make them it's own. Pine trees, mistletoe and wreaths ain't got nuthin' to do with Jesus.

That said, if you wish me a Merry Christmas I'll probably say it back to you, and sincerely. I'm easy going. Especially after a couple of stiff eggnogs.

DanaMac
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
That said, if you wish me a Merry Christmas I'll probably say it back to you, and sincerely. I'm easy going. Especially after a couple of stiff eggnogs.

I have no problem giving or accepting a Merry Christmas. But my preference is Happy holidays.

Have you ever made homemade eggnog? My GF makes it each year and WOW!! is there a big difference. With a little grate of fresh nutmeg on the top.

Mike Leary
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Have you ever made homemade eggnog? My GF makes it each year and WOW!! is there a big difference. With a little grate of fresh nutmeg on the top.

Last time I had eggnog was 35 years ago, used an aged Courvoisier cognac; got so sick I puked all over my girlfriend in bed. She did become my wife, long suffering, but without eggnog.

Wet_Boots
12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
eggnog without rum :confused:

Patriot Services
12-13-2011, 06:11 PM
eggnog without rum :confused:

They make that?
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Happy Holidays is so blase. No story behind it. No tradition. We use the words Happy and Holiday all the friggin time. Once a year we have a Merry Christmas. Once a year we have Thanksgiving. Once a year we have the Fourth of July. Happy Holiday? I think its a given that we always want our holidays to be happy.

Patriot Services
12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Nope, its just another day and if I'm scheduled to mow or plow I'm gonna do it. Then I'm going back to my Xbox or the internet. (Poster is an actor only impersonating another member)
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Nope, its just another day and if I'm scheduled to mow or plow I'm gonna do it.

"Happy trails", as we say in the west. :)

greenmonster304
12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
I have a last name that can be interpreted as Jewish but my family is Christian although i don't identify myself as such. A few years ago in September a customer of mne said "have a good holiday" I gave her a sideways look because I had no clue what she was talking about. Then she said "you are Jewish right?". It was yomkipor (spelling) and I didn't know but I wasn't offended that she assumed I was Jewish. I don't know why some people take it to heart when someone assumes you are one religion or another, just politely correct them and move on. Or don't it's just a greeting "for christ sake".
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
12-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Edit: Decided to not post it anyway. Happy Christmas, Merry New Year, Cheery Thanksgiving, and Shalom.

Kiril
12-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Happy Winter Solstice Season.

AI Inc
12-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Bah humbug

jvanvliet
12-22-2011, 10:12 AM
why do all the commercials promote "christmas" shopping?

Wet_Boots
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
the almighty loves a bargain......

jvanvliet
12-22-2011, 12:09 PM
And the 10% kickback payup

irritation
12-22-2011, 03:41 PM
I've had a hard time getting in the Christmas spirit this year, so my brother sent me this video. I don't think it's helped much. :confused:

c6PCG_cjysU

jvanvliet
12-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Well, you know what they say, the honeymoon is over when your wife come into the bathroom and takes a dump while you are brushing your teeth.

GreenI.A.
12-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Well, you know what they say, the honeymoon is over when your wife come into the bathroom and takes a dump while you are brushing your teeth.

Like i always say. The best day in a relationship is when you realize it is finally ok to fart infront of your girlfriend. The worse day, is when she realizes its fine to fart in front of you.

txgrassguy
01-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Just got back from a marathon road trip to Central Florida visiting an older brother.
2400 miles at 10mpg in my quad cab F350 cab/chassis. Gave my bro a '99 Gravely PM260 ztr and my niece a primo Honda 250 four trax atv.
Got a Kindle with the 3G wireless - overall a cool trip. Got to the point I didn't know what day it was nor the time and I couldn't care.
Fished a bunch with Gretel, enjoyed the sister in law relatives visiting from Singapore.
Just what I needed.
Had a bit of a scare though, during the neighborhood New Years evening party with the other POA members my bro collapsed. Caught him on the way down, got EMS there and he ended up in the ER for four hours. So far so good but he has some cardiac problems that could be quite bad if left unattended.
Glad I went but decided I need more time off than nine days once every fourteen years.

DanaMac
01-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Just got back from a marathon road trip to Central Florida visiting an older brother.
2400 miles at 10mpg in my quad cab F350 cab/chassis. Gave my bro a '99 Gravely PM260 ztr and my niece a primo Honda 250 four trax atv.
Got a Kindle with the 3G wireless - overall a cool trip. Got to the point I didn't know what day it was nor the time and I couldn't care.
Fished a bunch with Gretel, enjoyed the sister in law relatives visiting from Singapore.
Just what I needed.
Had a bit of a scare though, during the neighborhood New Years evening party with the other POA members my bro collapsed. Caught him on the way down, got EMS there and he ended up in the ER for four hours. So far so good but he has some cardiac problems that could be quite bad if left unattended.
Glad I went but decided I need more time off than nine days once every fourteen years.

Sorry to hear about your bro. Hope all works out

I know I've said it many times, I won't let this business kill me. I take many vacations every year, even during the busiest times of the year. There is no reason to work hard, if you can't play hard. If I were to work all those times I take off, this business is still not going to make me overly wealthy, so I might as well enjoy my time. Come on up to the ski trip end of February (if it's still on, haven't heard much lately). No need to ski when you can eat, drink, tell stories (especially about the ex), and pay for some lodging. :)

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Only problem with cutting back from a monster work schedule is it gives you too much time to reflect on things.

Wet_Boots
01-06-2012, 01:10 PM
but then you can count all your blessings :)

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm too insecure and guilt ridden for that sort of thinking.

Wet_Boots
01-06-2012, 02:14 PM
4trWg4hT8z8

jvanvliet
01-07-2012, 12:44 PM
4trWg4hT8z8

You always have the right words, you'll make somebody a good wife one day. :p

TXGrass; It's always nice to see family. My family is scattered all over, Parents in Europe, my oldest (#1) boy in Seattle, #2 just back from Afghanistan & in Italy for 2 years, #3 in Asbury Park, NJ & #4 in Melbourne AU, but coming back home.

I miss our time together, the big Sunday morning after church family brunches with friends, the Saturday afternoon man meals, our camping and white water rafting or Kayaking expeditions and the Monday Football rivalries.

Family is a blessing, glad your brother is OK, and if you are ever down this way again with some time, let me know I'd love to hook up and share some good old Southern hospitality.

txgrassguy
01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words.
Turns out he has some manner of arterial blockage - which is all I could interpret from his decided disinterest in telling me why the cardiologist chewed his butt.
The trip was just what I needed and jvanvilet when I cruise on back to C. Fl I'll let you know.

Mike Leary
01-09-2012, 01:07 PM
my oldest (#1) boy in Seattle

Did he inherit Dad's irrigation curse? We'll be back up there in April/May, would be glad to show him some of our 1% sites over on Bainbridge Island. Good pub in the area, also. :drinkup:

jvanvliet
01-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Did he inherit Dad's irrigation curse? We'll be back up there in April/May, would be glad to show him some of our 1% sites over on Bainbridge Island. Good pub in the area, also. :drinkup:

No, he was smarter than his old man, he works for the state pulling down big bucks plus benefits.

Let me know when you get back to town, he takes an interest in good pubs and locally brewed ales. :waving: