PDA

View Full Version : Mowing Weekly

jermana232
12-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Does anyone mow weekly April to September unless raining or told otherwise by the customer? As in if there has been no grass growth in a week or two do you still stick to your schedule?

flyingdutch16
12-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Does anyone mow weekly April to September unless raining or told otherwise by the customer? As in if there has been no grass growth in a week or two do you still stick to your schedule?

Here in PA I mow every week in the spring, in the summer every two weeks, and in the fall every week again till mid november. It just gets to hot here and the grass simply wont grow here in the summer.

KrayzKajun
12-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Mow weekly from usualy March-October.
Posted via Mobile Device

sweetland
12-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Mow weekly except if there wasn't much growth. No need to piss off the customer and charge them for something they didn't need, easy way to lose them. Use your discretion or when in doubt just ask them.
Posted via Mobile Device

fireman gus
12-11-2011, 04:46 PM
With our service agreement form we agree to mow weekly (Bermuda) starting the 3rd. week in April through October. With our Fescue yards we start weekly the first week in March and mow weekly through November then as needed through December. We stop in January and February as they are our coldest weather and it would be bad for the grass.

RGM
12-11-2011, 05:52 PM
I go with how the lawns growing mowing weekly till it slows down then maybe every 10 days or once every 2 weeks. You have to learn to feel out your customers and what they want some customers want me to come one a week if its only a couple of weeds sticking up.

jermana232
12-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Cool, thanks for the answers. I was thinking that in my contract I would state that I will mow weekly from X month to Z month unless I am notified to tell me otherwise. I was not sure how everyone else did it and definitely do not want to come off as careless to the customer.

Dr.NewEarth
12-11-2011, 08:40 PM
We mow every week March through the end of November...some places into December.

Have your clients sign a nine month contract with equal payments. In the contract state that "this is a green contract, and some months require more services and supplies than others." Let them know in the contract that they are paying equal payments.
If they want to quit for whatever reason, thirty days written notice is required and in the event of early termination by either party, the basic monthly equal payment is due in full plus any other expenses incured by your company in the normal execution of the monthly(green) contract.

Extra work (contingent work) should be written down and the client signs for it. You need a paper trail in case there is a legal problem.

Don't let clients push you around guys!

Go to the property every week of the contract...if the lawn is dormant, then trim or make some noise for a few minutes. Walk the site and look for pinecones. At least you are there. Some weeks you spend longer than others.

Keep a diary of what you do for every client.

Sorry, I just don't see how you can make a living only cutting when the grass is dry, or growing fast....plus you get three months off in the winter with no income...

jermana232
12-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Appreciate the input. I was thinking that as well. This is totally hypothetical as I have zero clients or experience. Say you have 30 accounts at $40 a week. You have to skip one cut because of no or little grass growth. That's $1200 lost (before taxes etc..). That seems like a huge dent.

clc000
12-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Yep, part of working outside. The weather can have a huge impact on business. Sometimes it rains and you can't mow for a week, sometimes it doesn't rain and your just making tracks if you mow. Like the earlier poster said, this is something you have to feel out with the individual customers. Some want it mowed, rain or no, others only want it mowed if there is growth. There is too much competition where I'm from to try to bilk individual resi's for unnecessary cuts.

ralph02813
12-15-2011, 08:23 AM
I mow weekly and tell foks it is at my discretion, I also do a nasty thing according to many on this site, I apply fertilizer (1/2 the amount suggested) on all my properties, no charge only in the very dryest part of the year, did I have to do partials, I onlly skiped a couple of clients once or twice, generally with a healthy lawn it can survive a lot of heat

Darryl G
12-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Weekly April 15th to October 15th, as needed. Mid July through August cuts will often get skipped, depending on the lawn...my discretion not the customer's. Some lawns keep getting cut into late November, as needed.

93Chevy
12-15-2011, 07:32 PM

Why would you stop cutting in September? Most grasses can be cut until early December if needed.

Thanksman
12-15-2011, 07:49 PM
i have a customer rain or shine they want the lawn cut on a certain day.. drizzle.. i can see... but she didnt care if it was pouring.. flat yard... no rutting but damn.. anyone got one of these people?

Darryl G
12-15-2011, 08:05 PM
i have a customer rain or shine they want the lawn cut on a certain day.. drizzle.. i can see... but she didnt care if it was pouring.. flat yard... no rutting but damn.. anyone got one of these people?
That's so at least one day a week they'll know what day it is.

I have more problems with customers insisting that I can't cut if the grass is wet...never had one insist I mow in the rain.

93Chevy
12-15-2011, 08:45 PM

Commercial property managers.

Gotta come rain or shine. HOA residents like consistency. Nursing homes, hospitals, campuses, schools, etc like consistency.

ralph02813
12-16-2011, 01:27 AM
I am very consistant on when I cut, but everyone is on my schedule, a couple of people have tried to push for a certain day, but I cover 3 distinct geographical areas mainly I cut Monday thru Wednesday and save Thrusday/Friday for special projects, it also gives me a buffer incase it rains if someone is having a special event I consider it a special project and if needed I will do a recut.
I am in a special place though I don't need to grow my business by much, nor do I want to, I think 30 would be my max properties, I am waiting to hear back on one that would be a 1/2 day gig just to cut, so that might be the last one i need. fingers crossed.

MR-G
12-16-2011, 09:06 AM
we shedule all 3 of our crews to the max...6 days a week all year...no rain days or make up days...we run in almost any weather (except lightning) when we do get behind (which is rare) well....were behind...lol....if we get cancellations we just replace them with a phone call or two....we always have a waiting list going....

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Mow weekly except if there wasn't much growth. No need to piss off the customer and charge them for something they didn't need, easy way to lose them. Use your discretion or when in doubt just ask them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes use your discretion in drought periods. I would watch it with the 'ask the customer if if needs cut' thing. Nearly always, they will tell you 'oh, just skip it this week'. Guess what, you lost income on a customer whim. I like to take care of my customers, they don't need to call me unless they want more than weekly cuts in heavy spring growth. Otherwise I don't want to hear from them unless they have a concern.

The one way around this, monthly level contract price.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Weekly April 15th to October 15th, as needed. Mid July through August cuts will often get skipped, depending on the lawn...my discretion not the customer's. Some lawns keep getting cut into late November, as needed.

This is the way to do it IMO.