PDA

View Full Version : 15hp Kohler Cammand engine mount bolt hole stripped!

jaybow
12-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Ok the other day I was changing the transmission drive belt on my old Toro walk behind, and the bracket that keeps the electric clutch from spinning had to be removed to get the belt around the engine pulley. the bolt holding the bracket also serves as a engine mount bolt. Unlike Kawasaki engines there is no nut holding the bolt, it is threaded into the engine block itself. Well when reinstalling it, it never tightened back up, the threads are stripped out. What would be my best solution in this case, tap it to a larger size, some kind of threaded insert? Any help would be appreciated.

SouthSide Cutter
12-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Helicoil Napa has them

StihlMechanic
12-11-2011, 05:54 PM
The hole should go all the way through to the other side. Get a longer bolt and place a lock nut on the other side.

jaybow
12-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I will have to check, but I don't think it goes all the way through.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaybow
12-11-2011, 06:07 PM
I've never use a helicoil, do you have to drill to a certain size, and then install, or does it thread into existing hole or what? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I've never use a helicoil, do you have to drill to a certain size, and then install, or does it thread into existing hole or what? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

usually you buy a kit that has the right size drill and tap and a tool to
screw the heli coil in the new threaded hole. Actually the three bolts would probably hold it.

LindblomRJ
12-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I;d think the bold would go all the way through. That is how it is on my Toro... If so a longer bolt will do the job. If it is a tap, then yes a helicoil will get er done.

jaybow
12-11-2011, 08:42 PM
It depends on what engine you have on your mower, the kohler 15 bolt holes are threaded into the engine block and don't come through.
Posted via Mobile Device

I MOW ALONE
12-12-2011, 12:19 AM
looks like you have to drill and tap one size up.

alexschultz1
12-12-2011, 01:15 PM
usually you buy a kit that has the right size drill and tap and a tool to
screw the heli coil in the new threaded hole. Actually the three bolts would probably hold it.

i thought the 3 bolt trick would work but after around 200 hours my engine started wiggling itself loose.

LindblomRJ
12-12-2011, 06:24 PM
i thought the 3 bolt trick would work but after around 200 hours my engine started wiggling itself loose.

When I repowered my old Toro I used loctite on the threads.

mowingmachine
12-12-2011, 07:15 PM
I believe Kohler actually has a heli coil kit for this very problem.

piston slapper
12-12-2011, 08:52 PM
On aluminum blocks, I seldom have to drill out the hole before tapping the hole for the helicoil insert.
When the hole is stripped out, it is usually large enough to accept the helicoil tap.
Once the hole is threaded, blow out the shavings and tap it again. This will keep any loose pieces from balling up under the new insert and deforming the threads.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaybow
12-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Ok thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lbilawncare
12-15-2011, 07:58 PM
If the helicoil doesn't work I've seen the pulley moved over and a new hole drilled all the way through the frame to be able to tighten the bolt. 3 bolts will hold the engine, but make sure you use thread tape or threadlocker.

DR J
12-16-2011, 07:56 PM
helicoil or fix-a-thread, believe the bolt you have broken goes into oil pan if not careful will go though then y got more problems, just be careful when y helicoil we see how many threads go in on bolt and then mark helicoil tap in that far and then insert helicoil

jkilov
12-28-2011, 01:09 PM
If all else fails buy a new, used or refurbished sump. These go for as little as $30.