PDA

View Full Version : Weed fabric

tjlco
12-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Curious what eveyone uses for weed fabric? I bought a roll at the place I buy rock and I felt like it was crap. Wound up returning it and getting stuff from Home Depot. I liked it so been getting it there ever sice..but I can't help but think, there is something even better and/or cheaper...

Keith
12-11-2011, 09:31 PM
For the little bit I use it, I like Dewitt Pro5. Not cheap, but is about is as good as it gets.

greendoctor
12-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Expensive weed fabric is cheap insurance. The high grade stuff will hold back nutsedge and other perennial weeds.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
12-11-2011, 10:21 PM
We use septic filter cloth.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
12-12-2011, 05:59 AM
For the little bit I use it, I like Dewitt Pro5. Not cheap, but is about is as good as it gets.

Dewitt Pro5; worth the money.

Kiril
12-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Unless you are laying down rock, weed fabric is a waste of money and not good for your soil.

Ric
12-12-2011, 10:27 AM
We use septic filter cloth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dependable

Is That White Septic Filter Cloth??? I have never used it but considered as ground Cloth for my THEN Nursery. The Sepic Filter Cloth is quality Material. Only White was a deal breaker. Even in Florida Heat we want black Ground Cover cloth to absorb as much heat as possible. Tropical Plants like warm root zones.

Kiril

Agree It should be called BARRIER CLOTH not Weed Fabric. News Paper makes a reasonable Weed mat under Wood Mulch that last a short time. It does adds to the quality of the soil. I never felt it was worth installing but have watched other do it.

Kiril
12-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Agree It should be called BARRIER CLOTH not Weed Fabric. News Paper makes a reasonable Weed mat under Wood Mulch that last a short time. It does adds to the quality of the soil. I never felt it was worth installing but have watched other do it.

An appropriate cloth would be a high quality geotextile, although I don't recommend them for anything other than rock. Over time they become worthless (high quality or not), and regardless of allowing water/gases through, they are not good for the soil.

I have dealt with newspaper mulch, don't much care for it. Too labor intensive and I don't care for how it impacts water distribution. This is especially the case when we are talking new plantings, which is when you are typically using the stuff anyway.

An appropriate organic mulch at an appropriate depth will keep the vast majority of weeds at bay.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Dewitt pro 5 or equivalent here

jvanvliet
12-12-2011, 12:21 PM
It's always just a matter of time before airborne particles filter down to the membrane and give seed a hold. Rocks, plants; makes no difference.

If you are going to put down a membrane, may as well make it a good one. Don't know about newspapers though, first I heard of it.

unkownfl
12-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Snapshot and round up and pull a few here and there.

A Leaf Above
12-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Never use the stuff either ...I hate when i dont know its there and while im edging the bed that crap wraps all around the blade ..After a while the weeds make there way through it anyway so why bother ...roundup and prem with good bit of mulch and your good to go ...

jvanvliet
12-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Never use the stuff either ...I hate when i dont know its there and while im edging the bed that crap wraps all around the blade ..After a while the weeds make there way through it anyway so why bother ...roundup and prem with good bit of mulch and your good to go ...

I know what you mean; we always put edging around the bed when we use membrane; usually the customer wants it.

Speaking of stuff wrapping around gear,how about when a friggin dog chain left in the grass wraps around the spindles?

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
12-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Ric
It is black. Comes in either 3ft or 6ft width. Its good inexpensive and durable. We use it for stone beds. Otherwise we wont use it for mulch beds.
Posted via Mobile Device

tjlco
12-22-2011, 06:35 PM
I am gettiing ready to do about 2k square feet of rubber mulch in my own yard. It'll be the certifed play mulch crap...(the wife wants that) and from what I read snapshot & round up is the way to go. Thats what we do when we do regular mulch anyway, rock I always use some kind of fabric otherwise it seems to disappear to China I guess lol

Keith
12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Seriously reconsider the rubber mulch. I had a customer put it in 4 years ago. I wouldn't do it, so he bought it and hired another guy to do it. I hate it. Here are some of the problems.

He spent over $3000 and didn't even make it around the back of the house. It didn't go as far as he thought it would.

It stunk for well over a year. I wouldn't let kids play in this stuff.

It turned a kind of nasty looking color in the sun.

Even if you put a border to contain it, it escapes. Oh what fun it is to hit it with the mower. Or even better, and edger.

Despite the claim that it doesn't float, it seems to float worse than anything else I have ever seen.

If you don't use a fabric, have fun replacing plants. Nothing like the shovel bouncing off this crap.

I still hate it, and the guy that put down over $3000 dollars worth of hates it even more. At this point, most of it is covered by regular old dyed cypress.

Darryl G
12-22-2011, 07:24 PM
I hate fabric and cut out pull up as much as I can when I'm mulching without making a project of it. It's always showing it's ugly head anyway. I hate when someone installs a bed and poorly grades it and then puts fabric on top making it impossible to grade/mulch it properly without ripping it all up. Under stone, sure, under mulch....skip it.