PDA

View Full Version : Cold Calling Vs.Face to Face Vs. Mailing

ChevHayes
12-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Hello, I'm just trying to get some of you guy's opinions on each method of contact in the commercial market.

1. Cold Calling
2.Face-Face: Showing up,Walking in and "soliciting" or "selling" yourself/services
3. Mailing introduction letter,or estimate,flyer/brochure,etc...

What do you guys think about some of the methods?? I have tried all 3 in the past and had mixed results. I'm planning/trying to add a few new commercial properties for maintenance in the spring. Maybe you have a better method??

billpiper
12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
For commercial properties, I would research whom the buyer is & call for an appt. BTW, you don't want to present to him in December if he won't make decision until Feb. Ask him if you can contact him close to decision time.

Cold calling is a waste of your time and your prospect's.

Face to face on an appt is the way to go. be sure you're talking to the Buyer and it's time for him to find a vendor.

Mass mailings are expensive and 1/2% is considered the break-even point in the direct mail industry.

If you're talking about mailing to selected commercial prospects, I'd say it can be productive if you follow uo the mailing with a phone call 2 days later. Be sure it is addresses to the Buyer when you mail it.

Good luck

TheBetterDoorhanger
12-12-2011, 12:14 PM
While we get an enormous amount of customers who purchase postcards every year, we typically see a lot more door hangers being ordered for the lawn care industry. We have several customers that order several times during the system so that's a positive sign.

I think the best thing to keep in mind no matter what form you decide to go with (face to face, mailing...) you should make sure you have a professional ad with a call to action - GO TO MY WEBSITE TO VIEW XYZ, CALL NOW FOR YOUR ESTIMATE etc.

Good luck this season!

Robin Christopherson -
866-778-4254 ext 200 / robin@adeasprinting.com
Adeas Printing
Home of Band-It & Stick-It Products
-- We have a better idea --
www.AdeasPrinting.com

fl-landscapes
12-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Isn't the initial call to the decision maker to schedule an appointment a "cold call."?

For commercial properties, I would research whom the buyer is & call for an appt. BTW, you don't want to present to him in December if he won't make decision until Feb. Ask him if you can contact him close to decision time.

Cold calling is a waste of your time and your prospect's.

Face to face on an appt is the way to go. be sure you're talking to the Buyer and it's time for him to find a vendor.

Mass mailings are expensive and 1/2% is considered the break-even point in the direct mail industry.

If you're talking about mailing to selected commercial prospects, I'd say it can be productive if you follow uo the mailing with a phone call 2 days later. Be sure it is addresses to the Buyer when you mail it.

Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
12-12-2011, 01:58 PM
While we get an enormous amount of customers who purchase postcards every year, we typically see a lot more door hangers being ordered for the lawn care industry. We have several customers that order several times during the system so that's a positive sign.

I think the best thing to keep in mind no matter what form you decide to go with (face to face, mailing...) you should make sure you have a professional ad with a call to action - GO TO MY WEBSITE TO VIEW XYZ, CALL NOW FOR YOUR ESTIMATE etc.

Good luck this season!

Robin Christopherson -
866-778-4254 ext 200 / robin@adeasprinting.com
Adeas Printing
Home of Band-It & Stick-It Products
-- We have a better idea --
www.AdeasPrinting.com

Robin

I am the owner of a Small Pest control company who is tired of dealing with Tree Huggiers and their laws. Therefore for the first time in my life I am going to try a big Grass Roots advertising campaign in working class neighbors for Fire Ant and Structural Pest Control. The goal being to change My business focus to a more profitable but harder market.

I purchased 5,000 blank Door Hangers from an other company and a B&W Laser Printer to hold down ink costs. (BTW I will reorder from you next Time). I have a reasonable Website that is My Vanity Phone Number and hope to Brand that Website/Phone Number WWW.XXXANTS.COM. No I don't want to post it here.

Given I can produce a professional attractive B&W Flier to encourage people to look at my Website Etc and offer low cost price etc. WHAT PERCENTAGE OF CLOSES SHOULD I EXPECT????????

TheBetterDoorhanger
12-13-2011, 12:22 PM
In response to your question about the return expected with door hangers, honestly it varies. It is common to see a range anywhere from 1% to 30%. Outside of the lawn industry I was told that people get the best redemption from door hanging Wednesday and Thursday afternoon from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. It varies on your ad, demographic area and then of course presentation -- did your door hanger stay on the door & off the lawn, was it a professional ad, did it offer a needed service to the customer, etc.

I hope this helps but feel free to let me know if I can help with anything else.

Robin Christopherson
Adeas Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
866-778-4254

billpiper
12-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Isn't the initial call to the decision maker to schedule an appointment a "cold call."?

Posted via Mobile Device

To me, a cold call is when you walk throught the door for the 1st time without an appt. and ask to see the "Buyer" or "Manager", or when you just randomly call numbers and ask to speak to "Buyer" or the "manager".
I guess if I were going after commercial work, I would first decide what prospects I was interested in that fit my capabilities by doing some research ( checking out the property, seeing what they're getting now), visit or call the receptionist or whomever to find out who the Buyer is and the best time to catch him. Maybe then send him an intro letter and brochure if you have one, followed up by a phone call within 48 hours of him getting the letter so he remembers who you are.

Assuming thet commercial properties are higher value prospects, they should be worth gathering a little intelligence before making your pitch. If you go to your 1st meeting and you're already familiar with his property, or you know what his issues with his present supplier may be, etc. and you come and offer him solutions to his problems, you stand a much better chance of walking out with the business.
Once you're in front of him, take a few minutes to introduce you and your company, then get him talking about what his needs, expections and issues are. As you listen to what he says, you may be able to come up with solutions and ideas that will help him, give him better results, make him look good, also giving you a better shot at closing the deal.