PDA

View Full Version : Ditch Witch Earth Saw

txirrigation
12-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Has anyone used one of these attachments on a mini skid? Our chain trenchers seem to be taking too much of a beating, and it looks like one of these might be the answer.

http://www.ditchwitchrockies.com/new_vehicle_compare.asp?veh1=67033&veh2=67033&CatDesc=Pavement%20Saws&

1idejim
12-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Has anyone used one of these attachments on a mini skid? Our chain trenchers seem to be taking too much of a beating, and it looks like one of these might be the answer.

http://www.ditchwitchrockies.com/new_vehicle_compare.asp?veh1=67033&veh2=67033&CatDesc=Pavement%20Saws&

i used a contraption similar to that when i was plumbing pools, it excavated 12" wide at the bottom 24" wide at the top and 18" deep, the spoils went to both sides. good thing since it displaced 2.25 cf-per linear ft the fellow that designed and built the machine folded up and i don't know where it is now. you better have your locating cap screwed down tight before turning that thing on.

Wet_Boots
12-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Offhand, I think the mini-skid earth saw is too light. If you have to go that route, you probably need at least a couple of tons of machinery to deal with rock.

txirrigation
12-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Ditch Witch is pretty good in our area, so I am going to have them bring it out to a jobsite next week and give it a spin.

From what I hear, the local guys says it is pretty good as long as it is not wet. If it is wet the chain trenhers work best.

Wet_Boots
12-14-2011, 04:50 PM
How does it price in comparison to one of their wheeled machines, obtained used?

How deep and how wide are you trenching?

txirrigation
12-14-2011, 07:38 PM
We generally trench about 8" deep, and around 4 in wide. There is no frost line here so we dont have to worry about that.

The saw should do 12" at 3" wide. I would probably have to trench about
10in deep because the pipes would be stacked more in a 3in wide trench.

1idejim
12-14-2011, 07:42 PM
We generally trench about 8" deep, and around 4 in wide. There is no frost line here so we dont have to worry about that.

The saw should do 12" at 3" wide. I would probably have to trench about
10in deep because the pipes would be stacked more in a 3in wide trench.

stacking pipe in any situation will bring you heartache if you repair or ammend a system, stacking is common in the pool biz and a PIA doing leak repairs

txirrigation
12-14-2011, 07:54 PM
stacking pipe in any situation will bring you heartache if you repair or ammend a system, stacking is common in the pool biz and a PIA doing leak repairs

I use HDPE pipe, there is no such thing as a heatache.

Wet_Boots
12-14-2011, 08:06 PM
I can't help thinking that DW miniskid saw is something akin to a Pipe Piper, in weight class.

greenmonster304
12-14-2011, 08:27 PM
I think they weigh at least 2000lbs
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
12-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Get a real earth saw - $4250 on ebay

txirrigation
12-14-2011, 09:04 PM
2,600lbs for the DW mini + 600lbs for the attachment.

3200 lbs on a 3" wide saw sounds like it would work. Proof is in the pudding, and I will be seeing it work in the near future.

txirrigation
12-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Get a real earth saw - $4250 on ebay

haha how would I get that through a 42" gate?

txgrassguy
12-15-2011, 10:27 AM
txirrigation - I experimented with mini-skid mounted saws in the past.
I ran into basically three problems:
1. Weight - the unit I used was front heavy so the mini-skid was prone to a nose down attitude. Seemed to make the machine work harder.
2. Vibration - whacking into rock really set the machine bouncing around plus added to the stress on the machine.
3. Operator mis use - the fact I had the saw available the operators actually doing the trenching would load the machine way past it's limits. I experienced blown hoses, shortened life on the hydraulic fluid which hammered the pumps plus it really wasn't that much quicker.

I finally went back to a chain trencher unless a solid mass of rock needed to be cut - then I rented the smallest saw I could. On a couple of installs we simply took the fence down for access.

On the chain trencher I swapped the teeth so instead of cutting a 6" wide trench it cut 4". When a larger rock was encountered the trencher was angled straight down to "grab" the rock and pop it out of the trench. To be sure the mini-skid was subjected to stress but not like it was with the saw.

I ran the saw on a 24 hp gas mini-skid so power was a real issue - I haven't tried one on a diesel mini since I do not have one.

Just my $.02

Some Sprinkler Guy
12-22-2011, 10:16 PM
We often rent a hydra wheel on a mt-55 which is basically the same thing. Were in limestone country around Austin. What you will find is that the rock wheel is much slower (like 1/3 speed) but will cut through just about anything. Often I take the trencher and the wheel with me and use the trencher unless things get too solid.

The little wheel will cut solid stuff but its really slow. If we know the rock is solid we get a 3700 with a saw. We can't keep the little wheel in front of the guys cleaning ditch things start to back up.

I think the wheel beats the machine less but the reduction in speed to us has not been worth it in the past. Trench depth can also be an issue on commercial jobs. The one we use was setup for 3.5 or 4 x 10-12 max.

After putting quite a few hours on one I would not buy one without also having a trencher attachment. It's not a sole use solution.