PDA

View Full Version : Heck of a Year...

txirrigation
12-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Well, it is that time of the year where I shut-r-down for 3 weeks. I have always done this to prepare for next Feburary. I turn off the phones, and let the contractors I work for know that it had better be a good dang reason to call me.

I set up some "moonlighting" jobs for my guys so that they still have some income also.

All outstanding invoices have been paid. I dont owe anyone anything. All equipment has been serviced/winterized. New equipment purchases have been made from other companies going belly up. Business bank account has the money to kick start advert, start-up trucks/equip, 2 months payroll, and the shtf back up.

Anyone else do this? If not... what drugs are you on to stay sane?

GreenLight
12-12-2011, 05:10 PM
I realized sanity was a very lofty goal, so I lowered the bar to functional.

txirrigation
12-12-2011, 05:12 PM

haha that is good... I will have to remember that.

KrayzKajun
12-12-2011, 05:19 PM

Exactly! Amen to that!
Posted via Mobile Device

bcg
12-12-2011, 05:34 PM
I usually shut down the entire month of Dec but this year has been too busy to do that. I'm not really complaining, it beats the alternative but I need the downtime. I'm going to go bird hunting in Kansas Thu - Mon, finish up some stuff for big money clients the first part of next week and then I'm shutting it down until at least Jan 2. Jan is historically the slowest month of the year so hopefully I'll be able to stretch that date some.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Tomorrow's worries ruin today's peace.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
12-12-2011, 06:18 PM
You TX guys know nothing about year end shut downs :) I absolutely LOVE taking 3-4 MONTHS off in the winter. I'm still lagging on getting my paperwork finished for the year. But I know that sales are pretty much the same as last year, down less than 2%. But that's not bad considering I did not work in the field July 15 to October 5, due to knee surgery. I would like to find a few expenses to spend some money on. I may buy some year end tools, remotes, supplies, same as every year.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Did I hear remotes?
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Still running full bore. No down time here really, in fact it's our busy season. Hope to take a week off between Christmas & New Year

txgrassguy
12-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Dana, one of the things I miss about being a g.c. super in the N.E. was the predictable cycle. 50+ hr weeks for seven months then maybe 25 max throughout the week for three.
Get the equipment set-up for the next season, take a trip, relax then watch the snow melt.

Right now I am so close to simply tossing the whole bag of self employment turds into the garbage can it isn't funny. I am simply in a holding pattern waiting for the buyout to finish then let the new owners handle all of the crap.

Oh, and I gave up being functional some time ago. Right now I'd settle for having the attention span to get three hours of decent work done in one day.

greenmonster304
12-12-2011, 07:25 PM
You TX guys know nothing about year end shut downs :) I absolutely LOVE taking 3-4 MONTHS off in the winter. I'm still lagging on getting my paperwork finished for the year. But I know that sales are pretty much the same as last year, down less than 2%. But that's not bad considering I did not work in the field July 15 to October 5, due to knee surgery. I would like to find a few expenses to spend some money on. I may buy some year end tools, remotes, supplies, same as every year.

No winter off for me. I landed a complete HVAC job for a house that is being renovated in Sag Harbor which will keep me busy for a bit. I will fill in days with a friend doing HVAC for his company. I have two small kids, a wife that doesnt work, and I am trying to buy my parents house so no down time for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
12-12-2011, 07:44 PM
a wife that doesnt work,

That's what kept me busy year around. :rolleyes:

greenmonster304
12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
I should rephrase in case she is following this thread. She works (takes care of kids and house) she just doesn't have an income.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
12-12-2011, 08:30 PM
You mean you take back all you said about her lounging around eating chocolate bon-bons? :p

Mike Leary
12-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Once, I made a joke over the phone, that my wife was a "kept woman". Guess who is still reminded of that crass comment after she overheard? :hammerhead: Point being, keep your freakin' mouth shut.

DanaMac
12-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Taking the winter off is not for everyone. But it is the pattern that I have gotten used to for many years, and have come to thoroughly enjoy it. We have no kids, a modest home, no extravagant bills, no expensive habits. I am never going to be a person to kill myself working for the future. I love my time right now, and want to enjoy my early years while I can. I take many vacations a year, and I like it that way.

Mike Leary
12-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I am never going to be a person to kill myself working for the future.

Ahh, the optimism of youth.:weightlifter:

DanaMac
12-12-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm not saying that I am not putting money away for the future, but I do enjoy my time now. I did start late on retirement funds, but I'm not worried about it. Things look good. Gotta remember that the business or its assets are an investment. Selling the biz or selling off the pieces will bring in some good coin if done properly.

Mike Leary
12-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Selling the biz or selling off the pieces will bring in some good coin if done properly.

Umm, true. I did well, but I'd weeded down my client list to the 1%ers, so when I sold my guy Russ did not have to dink with any slow/no pays or any systems that were not "ours". Selling a business without signed contracts can be like pissing in the wind, unless you've built the 1%ers.

FIMCO-MEISTER
12-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Sadly it's a rare business that sells for what it's truly worth. Millionaires aren't walking around looking for irrigation companies to buy. It happens every now and then no doubt. Your best bet inmo to get fair value both financially and mentally is to sell it to your employee/employees.

Or sell it to a govt. bureaucrat who thinks people who have a successful biz are just part of the lucky gene pool.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
12-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Not saying I would get rich from it. But it is an investment to realize.
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
12-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Not saying I would get rich from it. But it is an investment to realize.
Posted via Mobile Device

that's cause the real money is in backpacks, which i hope you'll do well in :)