PDA

View Full Version : Honda GC160 power washer engine fails

midwestmark
12-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Ok, I'm back once again for some help here guys.

I have owned this power washer for a few years. It hasn't run for 2. Today i completely took apart the carb, cleaned everything thoroughly. The engine started right up and was running good, idled for a 5 minutes or so, engine died, could not get it restarted for anything,,,,,, pulled plug, check for spark, that was good.

I let it set for about 30 minutes, went outside, pulled once and it started right up, ran for about 5 minutes, and i shut it down. Once again, i tried restarting and would NOT start..

What am i missing?:hammerhead:

piston slapper
12-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Make sure the carb bolts are tight , and that you don't have something that resembles a carb gasket laying on your bench.
Might be another bad honda gas cap.
Posted via Mobile Device

dutch1
12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
When you had the carb off did you check for a free flow of fuel from the tank to the carb? I'm not the brightest bulb on the porch but it sure sounds like a fuel delivery problem. On second thought, is the engine equipped with a low oil sensor? If it does, disconnect the lead from the low oil sensor at the harness it goes into. If the engine continues to run with the low oil sensor disconnected, check for proper oil level.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Gas Tank Vapor Lock, loosen the gas cap or replace...

dutch1
12-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Is the nonventing Honda gas cap a recent development? I've seen other manufacturer's gas caps that didn't vent properly but never a Honda--and never is a fairly long time for me.

MowerMedic77
12-13-2011, 07:34 AM
The new gx chrome emissions caps have had issues, but the plastic gc caps have not. Think your response is the right direction for this issue...
Posted via Mobile Device

midwestmark
12-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Guys, thanks for your help on this, its very frustrating.

A little more detail here. I did check for flow, while the tank was off, and it was working well. It does have the factory Honda plastic gas cap.

My local repair shop also suggested the vapor lock theory.

Let me ask this, on the side of the snout of the gas tank, there is a connection for a possible overflow hose. Could that be cut open, install a hose, and be done with the vapor lock theory?

midwestmark
12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Make sure the carb bolts are tight , and that you don't have something that resembles a carb gasket laying on your bench.
Might be another bad honda gas cap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting comment, the first go round, this did happen.. Those gaskets are a PIA to get all three on correctly. Although, I guarantee you that they are in place now:clapping:

piston slapper
12-13-2011, 08:00 PM
The plastic fuel tanks do not have the gas caps that are experiencing the venting issues.
I would clean the carb again. It gets easier after a few times.
All it takes is a speck of crud in the main jet to make it shut down.
Posted via Mobile Device

dutch1
12-13-2011, 08:34 PM
To add a bit to Slappers comments, if you didn't remove the main jet and the fuel nozzle, do so. As I recall, there are about 12 small ports in the fuel nozzle. I have occasionally found many of those ports obstructed or partially obstructed.

midwestmark
12-14-2011, 10:18 PM
More details and frustrations. OK, yesterday, I put a new spark plug in it. Started on first pull and purred like a kitten. Had a few more things to buy to fix the wand and put it all together tonight. Had everything hooked up, started on first pull and was spraying for a good 10 minutes, very powerful. I let off the trigger, well crap, started bogging down and died. Couldn't get it started to save my a$$. Let it cool down for 45 minutes, started right up, sprayed good for 2-3 minutes then died again, I was finished*trucewhiteflag*

A few minutes later I got it restarted, now it has stutter at high throttle. Its safely stored in the garage now, awaiting another battle tomorrow.......

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-14-2011, 10:21 PM
More details and frustrations. OK, yesterday, I put a new spark plug in it. Started on first pull and purred like a kitten. Had a few more things to buy to fix the wand and put it all together tonight. Had everything hooked up, started on first pull and was spraying for a good 10 minutes, very powerful. I let off the trigger, well crap, started bogging down and died. Couldn't get it started to save my a$$. Let it cool down for 45 minutes, started right up, sprayed good for 2-3 minutes then died again, I was finished*trucewhiteflag*

A few minutes later I got it restarted, now it has stutter at high throttle. Its safely stored in the garage now, awaiting another battle tomorrow.......

And you've tried loosening the gas cap when it dies and try to fire it back up and see if that was it, the vapor lock in fuel system?

midwestmark
12-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Yes, forgot to add that. I have run it with and with out the gas cap, either way, no difference at all. Even tried some carb cleaner into the air intake, would not start?? or even sputter or act like it wanted to start..

midwestmark
12-17-2011, 10:12 AM
To add a bit to Slappers comments, if you didn't remove the main jet and the fuel nozzle, do so. As I recall, there are about 12 small ports in the fuel nozzle. I have occasionally found many of those ports obstructed or partially obstructed.

Well, it appears to working now. I took the carb out again, for another more thorough cleaning. I'll have to admit, I did not remove the fuel nozzle the first time around. It was clogged up pretty bad. cleaned it out and ran the power washer for close to an hour without troubles. Thanks everyone for their help and hopefully this will teach someone else to know what to look for:drinkup:

dutch1
12-17-2011, 12:06 PM
The old saying applies here-- "If you don't take the time to do it right the first time, you have to make time to do it over". Not to mention, you also avoid all the intermediate frustrations/problems.

Pudweiser
10-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Like many other people I have a powerwasher with the Honda GC160 . It too started dying after just a few minutes . I could choke it and it would restart but die again . 1st thoughts was that it was dirt in the carb . I took it apart 3 times and checked every detail about it . Spotless inside . Last time I took it off I inspected everything involved with fuel delivery . All very clean . Then , the magic moment . I looked closely at the insulator block . When I cleaned it I noticed a hair-line crack in it . It's been sucking air at that crack making the engine too lean to run . Replaced insulator and gaskets . Runs perfectly now . Hope this helps ! Less than $10.00 to fix .