PDA

View Full Version : Cutting cost. Please help!!

Ticolawnllc
12-12-2011, 11:38 PM
I took a look at some of our bills today and :hammerhead:. I've always liked having the trucks Insured commercial but at $1,200.00 a truck in NJ. I'm thinking of insuring my 2500 as personal and lettering the trailer. I could bring that price down to $600 depending on if I have more than one truck. There is no way I'll get away with that with my F350 dump. But cuting $600 a year could go along way. $600 here $200 there.

We run two crews. One cut grass and helps with trimming and some mulching. The other is patios, instal, mulch, light tree removal. Just about every thing we can get our hands on.

And is there any way to make a Dodge 2500 with a Hemi to stop killing me at the pump. Next year I might just have to put the dam thing down.

Swampy
12-12-2011, 11:54 PM
I'd shop around for different insurance, taking your truck off commerical insurance and getting in a accident while on the job they might not cover it. At least I'd call and ask first.

djagusch
12-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Shopping insurance is a good thing to do. To be underinsured is not a good thing though. There probably a better place to cut costs than insurance.

KrayzKajun
12-13-2011, 12:06 AM
And is there any way to make a Dodge 2500 with a Hemi to stop killing me at the pump.

now thats funny!:hammerhead::hammerhead:

LindblomRJ
12-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Insurance is a bad area to cut corners on. Shop around for a better policy.

What are you paying for vehicles? Equipment? other things. What is your debt load? What about shop space?

Ticolawnllc
12-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Insurance is a bad area to cut corners on. Shop around for a better policy.

What are you paying for vehicles? Equipment? other things. What is your debt load? What about shop space?

I owe 3gs on $4,500 Snowdog Ex80
and like 4 gs on our bobcat ct120.

Dr.NewEarth
12-13-2011, 02:54 PM
My work trucks are insured as "artisan use" not commercial. That means I can still carry tools and supplies to work sites. Your insurance may not offer this.

Even though I personally haven't had an accident in over twenty years and get a forty percent discount as a "safe driver" it still costs me $145
a month ($1740 a year) It's alot more expensive for each of the crew trucks depending on who the registered regular driver is. Their experience driving and their driving record all come into play.

If I wanted to get around the fees, technically I can insure a business truck and allow another driver to operate it 50 percent of the time. One could take a chance, and if the employee had an accident the insurance would have to prove the driving percentages.

What can you do? Other than selling a large truck that you probably don't need and buying some-thing more economical....keep things tuned up, tires inflated...and keep on top of your routing.

Ticolawnllc
12-13-2011, 03:27 PM
I put the Dodge up for sale for 6 months last year for $5,500.00 and got no calls. It only had 75k back then. Keep in mind its 2X4. Now itís got 100k. Thatís when I made up my mind to work the truck for a season or two and sell it at 4g or 3 1/2 gs. That truck sucks more gas than my f350 dump. What the hell were those guys a Dodge thinking when they made this thing? O6 wasn't that long ago. Any way I really hate this truck, and if it were a horse I would shoot the dam thing and leave it for the vulchers.

DON'T BUY DODGE!!!!

Next time I'm getting a F 150 4x4 standerd cab. And I'm going throw out every thing I can to keep the weight down. Including the rugs.

Swampy
12-13-2011, 03:44 PM
The name "dodge" and the phrase "great fuel economy" should never be used in the same sentence.

FoghornLeghorn
12-13-2011, 05:06 PM
The name "dodge" and the phrase "great fuel economy" should never be used in the same sentence.

How's this, "Dodge is not known for great fuel economy!".

Yea, I have a buddy who gets something like 11mpg with his Hemi. He drives like a bat out of hell, but still.

If I drive my diesel hard, I get maybe 15mpg at the worst. I don't know how the Hemi is so bad on fuel.

LindblomRJ
12-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Depends on the mowing crew, you might be able to get by with a half ton, depends on number of mowers etc. I have felt that a half ton is sometimes like sending a boy out to do a man's job.